Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Home made rails and switches

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tacbob

Home made rails and switches Empty
PostSubject: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Although meanwhile I do have some LGB tracks I'm building my own tracks using code 250 aluminium rails and teak sleeper (cutted from strips). The rails are nailed down by rail spikes. I did build me jigs for strait, R1, R2 and righthand switches (lefthand will follow). I'm also using a gauge and a railbender. Some day I recognized that my railhead is almost at the same high to LGB tracks so I bought some used ones just for the quick way.

Home made rails and switches 2TageArbeit

Home made rails and switches DerAnfang

Home made rails and switches Lever

Home made rails and switches Radlenker

Home made rails and switches Geradeaus

Home made rails and switches Nachrechts

Home made rails and switches BirdsEye

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Tacbob wrote:
Although meanwhile I do have some LGB tracks I'm building my own tracks using code 250 aluminium rails and teak sleeper (cutted from strips). The rails are nailed down by rail spikes. I did build me jigs for strait, R1, R2 and righthand switches (lefthand will follow). I'm also using a gauge and a railbender. Some day I recognized that my railhead is almost at the same high to LGB tracks so I bought some used ones just for the quick way.

Let me know when you do dual gauge track. Still traumatized ....bounce

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Traumatized   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Let me know when you do dual gauge track. I´m still traumatized. bounce

Tacbob wrote:

Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 8:18 pm

k&nwlr wrote:

Why traumatized? Didn't it work? Never thought about dual gauge track. Didn't need it till now.

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 pm

I like the idea of the lever to change the direction of the points. Great idea!
Andrew
Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Tacbob wrote:
k&nwlr wrote:

Why traumatized? Didn't it work? Never thought about dual gauge track. Didn't need it till now.
Took a lot of thinking, effort and rework.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Andrew wrote:
I like the idea of the lever to change the direction of the points. Great idea!
Andrew
Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway

The advantage is it do not break as easy as a "more railroad like" lever when you accidentialy step on it.

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 10:17 pm

k&nwlr wrote:
Tacbob wrote:
k&nwlr wrote:

Took a lot of thinking, effort and rework.

Maybe we could develop something together.

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:05 am

Wow! Great looking track! Looks almost simple to make this way.

Great ideao on that little lever. How did you manage any backlash (if that is the right word) between the raisl in the turnout? To avoid the turnout is somewhat 'open' or inbetween. What holds it in position, only the lever or also a little spring or something?

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 pm

I used to hand lay rail in my HO scale days, but never tried to make a turnout. My old eyes aren't sharp enough for that anymore; part of the reason I do G scale now.

How do you attach the throw rod to the closure rails? scratch It looks like it's soldered or brazed, but I didn't think you could do that to aluminum.

I am suitably impressed. Exclamation

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 pm

The throw rod is soldered to a conecting rod wich is screwed (0.9mm dia screws) to the rails. The screws are secured with super glue.

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Paulus wrote:
Wow! Great looking track! Looks almost simple to make this way.

Great ideao on that little lever. How did you manage any backlash (if that is the right word) between the raisl in the turnout? To avoid the turnout is somewhat 'open' or inbetween. What holds it in position, only the lever or also a little spring or something?

Thank you Paulus Smile. It really isn't that difficult. Was my 1st switch I ever made. It only needs a bit of watching and comparing the real ones.
The little rectangle shape bend on the end of the throw rod gives the lever a bit room to compensate way differences. It also gives a bit tension on the tounges. Except this there is just the little lever who keeps the rails in position. Because it turns 180 degrees it's not so easy to turn it via the throw rod. Also the rail tounges lying so close to the rails that the flanges can't make it's way between.

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Very impressive!

How would the aluminium fare in use outside?

Do you run any electric powered rolling stock? if so how does the electric conductivity compare to Brass or Stainless Steel?

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:38 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Very impressive!

How would the aluminium fare in use outside?

Do you run any electric powered rolling stock? if so how does the electric conductivity compare to Brass or Stainless Steel?

Thank you Brian Smile.

I guess it'll at least getting dull. More I don't know because I don't have any long term experiences. I'm also curious how the spikes will hold in the teak sleepers through changing conditions.
No I don't run electric powered rolling stock so I can't say anything about the electric conductivity and it's changings in the elements.

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Aluminum rail should do OK outside. When aluminum oxidizes, the oxide (alumina) forms a tight outer barrier on the metal which prevents further oxidation. This oxidation will occur indoors as well as outside, so there's little practical difference.

Alumina is an electrical insulator; the higher the purity, the better its resistance. However, aluminum electrical wiring is quite common (for example, the mains coming into my house is aluminum cable) so i suspect the thin layer of alumina on the outside of the rails doesn't offer enough resisatance to be a problem, either indoors out in the backyard.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/EuniceHuang.shtml

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Aluminum rail should do OK outside. When aluminum oxidizes, the oxide (alumina) forms a tight outer barrier on the metal which prevents further oxidation. This oxidation will occur indoors as well as outside, so there's little practical difference. Alumina is an electrical insulator; the higher the purity, the better its resistance.

It would be interesting to test outdoors, I know of the conductive properties of aluminium cable, a few folk round here are using it as a cheaper alternative to copper cable for low voltage/high amp supply to swimming pool lights for example.

I just wondered if the oxidation would prove a problem on a digital layout such as mine outdoors? And what daily abrasion with my LGB track cleaning loco might do?

All highly academic as I might be going 100% Live Steam/ Battery/ Live Diesel soon!

ANYONE WANT TO BUY A DIGITAL SYSTEM ???????????

Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm

GWhizz wrote:

I`ll start the bidding I Euro

Home made rails and switches 833270 LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C Home made rails and switches 317793bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheers
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 11:12 pm

fm12 wrote:
GWhizz wrote:

No good for your set up it won't work on LEVEL track Home made rails and switches 463516

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 pm

GWhizz wrote:
fm12 wrote:
GWhizz wrote:

No good for your set up it won't work on LEVEL track Home made rails and switches 463516

Still quite prepared to swap for all your Live Steam and R/C (I note) loco's

Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:14 pm

GWhizz wrote:
fm12 wrote:
GWhizz wrote:

Quite right,I`ll withdraw my bid:lol!:

Home made rails and switches 833270 LEVEL TRACK HERE NO NEED FOR R/C Home made rails and switches 317793bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home made rails and switches   Home made rails and switches Empty

Back to top Go down

Home made rails and switches
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: