Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale

Go down 
+8
Bearcastle
Saint-Oblas
Sparkeswood
Tacbob
GWhizz
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
dewintondave
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
dewintondave

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 6:58 am

I experienced a technical issue with the engine the other day.  The engine started running rough, fuel mix was spitting out through the carburettor, then the engine stalled.  Afterwards there was minimal compression.  I found the solution on this excellent forum: Model Flying - OS FS70 tappet problem

The engine runs fine again now, but I'm thinking with the way I use the engine that I need a breather in the rocker cover.

Merry Christmas!
Dave.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/dewintondave
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Looking at some video make me think that I should install a tank to take care of the waste coming out from the muffler.
I wish to avoid some polluant on the tracks.
For the moment, I am on the design of the locomotive, lack time to really start it yet.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 8:55 am

Yes, a collection tank would be a good idea if you don't want any oil on the track at all.  With my old muffler the oil drain comes out at a much greater pressure that with the new one.  The drain could be aimed into the middle of the track mostly avoiding the rails.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 11:06 am

dewintondave wrote:
....The engine runs fine again now, but I'm thinking with the way I use the engine that I need a breather in the rocker cover
Dave.

Hi Dave,

What do you mean with the way you use it? And how will this breather look like? Cut an opening in the cover?

Thx for your last answer. The 4 ( 8 ) holes seems to be a good idea. Have you fastened the tubes in the mufflerbox or just pushed it in?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 1:10 am

Quote :
What do you mean with the way you use it? And how will this breather look like? Cut an opening in the cover?

Thx for your last answer. The 4 ( 8 ) holes seems to be a good idea. Have you fastened the tubes in the mufflerbox or just pushed it in?

Hi Lorenz.  My engine doesn't have a breather like aircraft engines do, I don't think it's meant to run at idle for so long.  I need to do some experimenting with a breather.

The tubes are soft-soldered in.  The exhaust stack piece is a push-fit in a soldered-in bush.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 6:51 am

During the Christmas holidays I finalised the clutch mechanism.  There is now a lever in the cab.  The control rod passes through the silencer!

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 20150104_134705

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 12:18 am

Hi Dave,

That's a really good idea.
In your last pic there's a hole in the clutch on the gearbox side. Is this a hex worm screw?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 5:12 am

Tacbob wrote:
In your last pic there's a hole in the clutch on the gearbox side. Is this a hex worm screw?

Hi Lorenz,
Yes, it's a hex screw, there is another on the other side, they are retaining the driving pin which is quite a loose fit. 

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 12:21 am

Hi Dave,

Is there much slip on your clutch arrangement? Could you do me a favour please? Could you do some more pics of your clutch?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 7:46 am

Tacbob wrote:
Is there much slip on your clutch arrangement? Could you do me a favour please? Could you do some more pics of your clutch?

Hi Lorenz,

No, I don't think there is much slip when the clutch is fully engaged.  And, it's not getting oily in operation.

Here are some pics and a short close-up video.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 20150107_183440_s

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 IMG_20150107_191807_s

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 9:04 am

Hello Dave,

Many thx for the pics and the video. I always thought your clutch had a plane surface but it seems to be an inner and an outer cone. Am I right? That's really clever.

Last edited by Tacbob on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 9:22 am

Really well built! I wish I were able to accomplish such an achievement!
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 8:15 am

Tacbob wrote:
Many thx for the pics and the video. I always thought your clutch had a plane surface but it seems to be an inner and an outer cone. Am I right? That's really clever.

Yes, there's a 10 cone on both flywheel and clutch.

Best wishes,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi Dave,

Many thanks.
You've got a mp.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 10:47 pm

A great run yesterday evening up and down a short section of the railway line.  For the first time I could stand back and watch the loco run with the clutch held in position.  With the head-on sunshine the exhaust smoke looked great and voluminous.  The loco was run in 2nd gear all the way, a scale 10 mph.

The engine was run without the rocker cover so I could see what was going on.  I'm giving the rocker gear a squirt of fuel, to oil it before each run now.

Someone on the above aircraft forum was not believing that 5000 rpm was still an idling speed, but, it is for R/C car engines.  Here is the throttle position with the engine actually running, it won't run any slower.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 20150110_190619_s

During the run.
Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 20150110_191214_s

1:30 video of the run once up and down the line at 10 mph

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 9:31 am

Hi Dave,

She runs really nice. It's a pleasure to watch.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi Dave,

Is the flywheel calculated or just estimated to fit to the engine?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 7:32 am

Thank you Lorenz. 

The flywheel is 38 mm diameter, as big as I could fit between the wheels.  The clutch is going very well, there's very little pressure exerted by the lever, the steel grips nicely.  It's difficult engaging the clutch slowly in reverse as the loco moving backwards hastens the engagement.

Best wishes,
Dave
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 am

The roof was easier to form than I thought it would be.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 IMG_20150117_193611

I'm starting to think about painting the loco.  Last week I test painted the exhaust stack with automotive spray paint intended for painting engine blocks.  I "stoved" it in the oven for one hour at 115 degC, then left it to cool overnight.  Before and after that I had been baking it in the summer sun all day.  I ran the loco this morning to test the paint, it survived ok.  With my arrangement mainly water like droplets come out of the exhaust.  I think I'll apply some sort of wax to the horizontal surfaces where these droplets strike.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Dave,

Really nice roofing. Looks good in completion with the bonnet. Do you have a bending device? How will you fasten the roof.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Tacbob wrote:
Really nice roofing. Looks good in completion with the bonnet. Do you have a bending device? How will you fasten the roof.

Thank you Lorenz.  I used some 25mm diameter bar to bend the ends around - set-up in the bench vice.

I think I will use some brass angle to position it, but keep it unattached so I can lift it right off.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Dave

What material are you using to buit it, there's some brass, the rest is metal but what type and some screwed looks made of inox and some not ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 6:26 am

Bearcastle wrote:
What material are you using to buit it, there's some brass, the rest is metal but what type and some screwed looks made of inox and some not ?

Hi Bearcastle,  The loco is nearly all plain mild steel.  The bodywork is 0.6mm cold rolled mild steel sheet.  I'm using brass round head screws on the cab.  The chassis screws are all going to be the stainless steel M3 mushroom head cap screws that you can see.  These were bought on ebay from China - postage free.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 am

Hi Dave,

Could you tell me the other dimensions of your clutch please? What means "a 10 cone"?
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 6:12 am

Tacbob wrote:
Could you tell me the other dimensions of your clutch please? What means "a 10 cone"?

Hi Lorenz, I saw that you had a lathe in the background of one of your projects pictures Wink

Each clutch piece is 14 mm thick.  The cone is 10 degrees (lathe topslide set to 10 degrees).  The flywheel is bored to suit the engine.  The moveable clutch piece is reamed 10mm ID and has a short piece of 10mm diameter silver steel loctited in place which is reamed 6mm ID to slide on the main gearbox shaft.  The 10mm OD is for a pair of front-to-front facing 15mm x 10mm flanged ball races.  The clutch actuator is bored 15mm ID and runs in the ball races to push and pull the clutch piece in and out of engagement.  The ball races are loctited in place.  The moveable clutch piece is drilled right through to take the driving pin that fits in a corresponding slot in the gearbox main shaft.

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 IMG_20150107_191807_s

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 10:57 am

Hi Dave,

many thanks. You've seen right. That's why I was asking Smile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale   Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Live Diesel-Mechanical 1/12th scale
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next