Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nice all-home-made outdoor railway

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Nice all-home-made outdoor railway Empty
PostSubject: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Just wanted to share these very interesting Youtube movies of an outdoor railway. Rolling stock is inventive home made as well as the track work that is made from PVC guttering. The railway was originally made by the builder in his early teens but now modernized strongly.

Quote from description:
1 in 24 scale. everything scratch built on a very low budget, track made from strips of pvc stuck in slots made in polystyrene or polyfoam glued with hot glue gun, simple joints allowing track to expand in summer heat, the vans are made from wood and plastic.The axles have ball races and springs, the loco is roughly based on a baby deltic, has 4 motors with belt drive to reduce noise and controlled by rc and a 12 volt lead acid battery. Most of the track has been out in the weather for years now. I am currently building a turning loop at the station end. This railway is a rebuild of the first one, which i built in 1995 when i was a kid, as i grew up it all got forgotten about and overgrown. I decided to rebuild it and dug up all the old rails and re used many of them, i used polystyrene and poly foam as a base for the rails as its more rigid and weeds cant grow through it altho it doesnt look as authentic

Present railway:

History (very charming):

Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 am

Nice sound on the 1st video. Are both vids the same layout? I like the trackwork and tracklaying on the 2nd one. Looks like fieldrailway tracks Smile.

Really good find.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 pm

It actually is the same layout, only in 1995. He is renewing the original railway using some of the old track.
It has a nice atmosphere doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Indeed a really nice atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 pm

I wonder what he used to make the snow Razz
Nice all-home-made outdoor railway 499412
Back to top Go down
eddyscotland

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 12:37 pm

hey this is my layout! The new layout follows a different path apart from along the embankment retaining brick wall.I have lifted all the track now as cows escaped from the farm and stood on some of it, i will relay it all once i have built a good fence to keep the buggers out!
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Very impressive. I really like the "baby" Deltic - and I´d be interested in how you got the points to work.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
eddyscotland

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 6:08 pm

the points work well as the upvc is quite bendy so the rails are fixed until clearance for the wheels. i use a simple spring loaded lever to operate the switch. To stop the rail deforming vertically it sits on 2 plastic greased plates, one near the points tie and the other near where it becomes a fixed rail.To stop the rail becoming out of alignment it has a plate that runs behind when its in the (in use ) position but it stops a couple of mm before the wheel flange height. You cant really see it once its all put together. At the end of the points a slot is cut on the underside of the rail and i use the heat gun to bend it in to an angle and a hole drilled for the tie. I sand the end into a point, sanding on the outside of the rail only also to help remove the slight outward curve of the now angled plastic. The points on the loop are simply operated by a single spring that holds the points in one position. A careful balance between the spring being strong enough to always return the blade fully across and the rollingstock being heavy enough to be able to move the point blade out of the way when coming back round the loop. Also check out my other videos on you tube now i have finished the other loop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nice all-home-made outdoor railway   Nice all-home-made outdoor railway Empty

Back to top Go down

Nice all-home-made outdoor railway
Page 1 of 1