Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Servicing LGB locos

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lightrail

Servicing LGB locos Empty
PostSubject: Servicing LGB locos   Servicing LGB locos EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:24 am

Hi. I'm new to G scale, but have experience of GI and 16mm. What oils/greases should I use / not use on LGB locos? Also, with ownership changes, has the spare part situation changed for LGB stck, and who should I approach for spares? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Servicing LGB locos   Servicing LGB locos EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm

One can certainly use the LGB lubricants (quite expensive, though). Whatever you use, make sure it is high quality and plastic compatible. I use LaBelle lubricants.

Spare parts availability is a mixed bag but seems to be improving. During the dark times for LGB, very little was available. Common items such as the plastic Stainz whistle are always available on eBay, although not always at a reasonable price. European shops seem to have better supply of spares. Spares for older LGBs are generally unobtainable.Sad
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Servicing LGB locos   Servicing LGB locos EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

I can echo Bill's points on lubricants. I did buy a tube of LGB grease 7 years ago and you use so little it lasts a lifetime so the cost is largely irrelevant.

One company that has cornered just about every spare part for current and old LGB models is Modell Land in Germany excellent service, the only drawback being shipping costs. Just look at "Ersatzteile"

Which particular bits are you after? Ebay will always turn up trumps. Do let me know as I have box fulls of bits that have come off my LGB loco's and I'm progressively moving away from LGB stock!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
lightrail

PostSubject: Thanks for all the advice.   Servicing LGB locos EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 am

Erring on the safe side, I think I'll use LGB's own grease. What are the typical wear items, apart from the obvious pickups, sliders and motor brushes. I have a Corpet and an O & K 0-4-0.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Servicing LGB locos   Servicing LGB locos EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Lightly grease the wheel bearings and gears. A little bit of grease goes a long way, so don't overdo it. Before you apply new grease, clean off any old grease, especially if it is gummy or hardened or dirty.

A drop or two of oil (not grease) on the motor bearings would be good.

Do not grease the motor brushes or the contact surfaces of the pickups/sliders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Servicing LGB locos   Servicing LGB locos Empty

Back to top Go down

Servicing LGB locos
Page 1 of 1