Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Empty
PostSubject: A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular   A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 6:43 pm

When visiting the transport museum in Rochetaillée (Lyon suburb) a saw this interesting carriage (that I used very often in my chidhood, as my parents had a house uphill). It could be an interseting addon to a garden raiways with a mountain lanscape.

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular 2013-110

Last edited by Saint-Oblas on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular   A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:02 pm

An interesting funicular carriage presumably it was cable hauled by electric motor.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular   A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Yes! there were two similar carriages (I think the other one is in Saint-Mandé Transports Museum) cable hauled (thence ther nickname "ficelle"), on a single track, with a double track for crossing in the middle. I have known quite well this funicular, because my parents had a house uphill and I use to take it to go to school. 
The winch had been made by von Roll in Switzerland. There was a "driver" in each car for safety reason. I communicated with the engine driver with an elementary electric bell. The bottom driver rang once and began closing the doors:one common lock+ a second external lock per door + a general lock for all the doors (the later can be seen on the picture); at that signal the upper driver closed the doors the same way; then he rang twice; the bottom drivers rang three times to get the machine started.
There was no electronic in these days!

This funicular is still operating on the same principle with new winch, new cars on the same track:

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Fourvi12

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Fourvi11

There were several funiculars in Lyon, I think five. I have known four, some of them where with rack, as this one for Saint-Just (the Fourvières track on the right side)

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Saint_10

Now there just three of them.The one on the photo above as been converted to cable, the third one still operating was converted to rack and incorporated in the suburb system (picture below):

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Mc801o10

More details on  Lyon's funiculars(in french), here:

http://cris23.fr/lyon_ficelle.htm

Last edited by Saint-Oblas on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: New rack railway loco from Regner   A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Regner has just announced a little rack railway loco from the Achenseebahn.

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular 512px-Achenseebahn_Lok_3
Achenseebahn Lok 3 [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or CC-BY-2.5 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)], by Herbert Ortner, Vienna, Austria (own digital image), from Wikimedia Commons

Could be fun ....

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular 25050_Achensee_Georg_rechtsgr
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular   A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 6:24 am

This little loc reminds me of a similar loc on the "Tramway du Mont Blanc" that I took in the late 40's.

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Locomo12

What did surprised me was the angle between the boiler and the track when we went on the train at the Bellevue halt on an horizontal section.

Later I had a long life together with this line as I did my military service in the Mont-Lachat station just along the track. The line had been electrified in the mean time.

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Tmb_en10

Is this model live steam?

Last edited by Saint-Oblas on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Achenseebahn - Regner model   A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 am

Yes, it´s live steam, but the example shown in the photo has no R/C, so for my rack railway extension, I´m going to have to figure out a way of getting it back down ....

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular 9902290325_5bceb2b6cc_b
K&NWLR: Rack railway bridge leading to Stokesay Castle by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular   A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular Empty

Back to top Go down

A project for a steepy slope garden: Fourvière funicular
Page 1 of 1