Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner

Go down 
+2
k&nwlr
clive_t
6 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner Empty
PostSubject: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am

Back in November last year I posted the news in the 'Events' forum ( here ) that I would be exhibiting at the Wickham Show again, and that I would in fact be attempting to make a figure of a Chelsea Pensioner (on account of the proximity to Remembrance Sunday).

Although I did make some progress on that day, any further activity on it was shelved (along with a whole host of other activities) because of the earlier-than-expected arrival of my grandson.

However, I am happy to report the news that this week I have been able to resume work on this figure - and knowing how you all love these 'YAF' ('Yet Another Figure') threads, and seeing as it's so long since I did the last one, I thought I would share this on in all its gory detail!

So, first off we select our unsuspecting victim (sorry, volunteer) - one of the bodies from the Preiser unpainted German Track worker set:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_01_zps22080b21

Then, uttering our evil laugh of choice (mine is 'Mwahahahahaaahhh' but you may substitute your own as you see fit) we commence to really ruining his day:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_02_zps57436dde

For the desired pose (a seated figure with both hands resting on a walking stick or similar), the moulded left arm down the side of the body is of no use, so it has to go:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_03_zpsa5761c08

If you thought the operation so far looked painful, you might want to look away at this point:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_04_zpsac4c6e65

Suffice it to say that WILL hurt in the morning.

OK you can look again now... So, in order to turn a standing figure to a seated one, something else bad has to happen:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_05_zpsb444921f

To reform the leg into a 'bent' pose, we drill a small hole in each end of both parts of the leg at the 'knee', and insert a small piece of bent wire:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_06_zpsbb0df05b

We then repeat this exercise to fix the amputated leg back to the amptutee's body (note that some of the lower part of the body has been pared away at the front in order to maintain the body proportions):

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_07_zpsfd35e57d

Then we do it all again for the other leg:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_08_zps4908e005

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_09_zps90259404

Once we have the legs bent in the pose we want, we can fill the gaps - Milliput two-part putty is great for this, especially the terra-cotta flavour, as it shows up well against the white plastic of the figure:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_11_zps761f9169

Now we need arms/hands - this left arm is from another component of the German Track worker set:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_10_zpsa0cfd9dd

As with the legs, we need to rearrange the arms to suit our desired pose, so the elbow gets the treatment:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_12_zpsd991928e

Then similarly we pin the arm to the body...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_13_zpsbca1ead9

... and fill the gaps:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_14_zpsb5b79ca0

At this stage, we realise that we have been remiss in not removing the unwanted detail from the upper body (collar, lapels, lanyards etc), so we utter some choice curses (nothing too heavy, nobody died after all) and with a ridiculously sharp scalpel blade we remove those details - and some of the skin from our own finger tips, just for good measure:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_15_zpsa89278fd

With that done, and our lacerated fingers suitably repaired, we then add the other arm, as before - as well as a head from our Preiser 'bits' box:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_16_zpsf81bb856

After some further, more cautious, paring, we get the right hand to sit on the left more closely, as we eventually want it to look like a flat hand rather than a clenched fist:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_17_zpsc5f96eb2

So, there it is for now - still a fair bit to do with the coat and the hat, and a general smoothing away of excess filler, but it's progress. Hopefully I will get to add more to this thread soon!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Looking forward to him playing for Chelsea. They´re going to need someone to be able to do more than sit on the bench ..... Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun May 18, 2014 4:15 pm

I think there are already too many pensioners in that line-up!

Anyway, some modest progress over the weekend - as aluded to previously, that hat is not part of my fiendish plan, so it has to go. Also, we take the opportunity to tidy up some of the Milliput filler with a file:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_19_zps245ad2fc

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_19b_zpsd3bb56cf

So now we need the characteristic long frock coat. We need it to be more reflective of a loose layer of clothing, so the material of choice in this case is Kneadatite Duro, or 'Green Stuff'. It also comes in other colours, e.g. 'Grey Stuff' - my preference is for the grey, you may choose as you see fit. This putty is quite different to Milliput in that it remains flexible even when set. It is also able to be stretched very thinly with a modicum of care, which is why it is most effective in creating thin clothing layers. It's a good idea to wet one's fingers with some water whilst doing this, otherwise it tends to stick and tear quite easily, necessitating a short sharp outburst of Saxon invective before beginning again.

Given that the coat is buttoned up left over right, we do the right side first:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_20_zpsad35f792

With a small amount of excess GS, we are able to reinstate the 'missing' fingers on the right hand:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_20b_zps2424af34

It doesn't pay to try doing too much at the same time with this stuff, especially when one is blessed with a kilo of sausages in lieu of fingers. So, some time will elapse before we progress further - don't hold your breath though.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun May 18, 2014 5:35 pm

That´s looking good! Thanks for the tip concerning Kneadatite Duro. I´ll have a look out for that as I have a cunning plan for modelling canvas .... anything to avoid the abject terror which modelling people inspires ...
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun May 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Have you considered tissue paper soaked with diluted PVA?

I did that for a horse's saddle-blanket and it was quite effective:

http://www.cgtrains.com/t460p20-a-mounted-gendarme-from-c1910

You might need 2 or 3 layers of tissue, but can't hurt to try it and see how it works out!
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun May 18, 2014 6:59 pm

clive_t wrote:
Have you considered tissue paper soaked with diluted PVA?

I did that for a horse's saddle-blanket and it was quite effective:

http://www.cgtrains.com/t460p20-a-mounted-gendarme-from-c1910

You might need 2 or 3 layers of tissue, but can't hurt to try it and see how it works out!

Much more sensible. Whether the K&NWLR is ready for sensible solutions is another question ... Shocked Nice pic, and much better than I can do. It´s also a good lesson in what you can do with what you term "the grey stuff".

But I have used the tissue paper approach for rolled up material flaps in semi-enclosed cabs before (that must be some time ago), but I ended up using thin cotton cloth material soaked in a mix of paint and wood glue to get more texture.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun May 18, 2014 8:28 pm

I've never tried this myself, but I imagine that a square of GS with something like a tea-towel pressed firmly into the surface of the stuff before it cures, might give you the texture you're after. Having said that, I dare say a man of your calibre will have his own ideas for achieving the desired outcome Cool 

I didn't mention it above, but the 'working' time for GS once fully mixed (it's a two-part putty in the same way as Milliput) is about an hour, but is heavily influenced by ambient temperature - warmer conditions will give you less time to get it how you want it, but on the plus side it means you don't have to wait so long for it to fully cure. As my tendency is towards working on such projects in the evenings, it's a guarantee that the following morning the GS has gone off fully.

I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyMon May 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Sounds like an idea. I´ll let you know.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyThu May 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Clive, Glad to see YAF back, I was going to say it looked like a lot of  Aarmless fun, but I see you have got him to A&E and things are looking up for the poor old Guy.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyFri May 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Great project! and just in time for this year's Flower Show?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun May 25, 2014 4:34 pm

I think the Chelsea Flower Show will be compost by the time this fella is done!

This weekend we are blessed with a modest amount of free time to make some further progress. The right side of the coat is applied. Rivet-counters will no doubt be wondering if the regulation number of 'buttons' will be found at the front - indeed, there are 9:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_21_zps152e2ac1

While we are about it, we apply the rear coat flaps and make them sufficiently crumpled as one might when sitting on a stone seat whilst wearing such a garment:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_22_zps276f4c2f

When making up large-ish amounts of GS, it is always a good idea to have a plan for what to do with any excess - in this case, the right cuff was one beneficiary:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_23_zps80b9b1fa

... whilst the pocket on the left side of the coat was another:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_24b_zpsb0cf93bd

... and the collar yet another:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_24c_zpse512b597

It's a fine line between making the best use of however much putty has been made, and doing too much; observant persons will note with amusement the presence of tell-tale fingerprints on the left side of the coat, inflicted no doubt whilst trying to complete the rather fiddly job of fitting the collar round the man's neck... ah well, at least they can be used as proof of origin!

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_24_zps64c31b1d

Next we need the other cuff for the left arm:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_25_zpsea9776ba

In applying the buttons to this sleeve we note with a certain disappointment that one button was missed from the right sleeve... no matter, that can be applied later.

So now, we need to consider the hat. Nowadays they seem to wear what I believe are known as 'craphats' in certain military circles, but being of a distinctly 'old school' persuasion we elect to make the more traditional, not to say better looking 'tricorne'.

After an abortive attempt at making one with GS (which I will not suffer the indignity of showing here as it was truly monstrous), Plan 'B' is implemented - Plastikard:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_27_zpsc7a0c91d

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_28_zps9c2748dd

Before attempting to bend the edges up to form the tricorne, we immerse the disc in hot water - in the hope that it prevents snapping... sadly not 100% successful:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_29_zpseee8a564

So, after muttering some choice expletives and other incantations we attempt the same idea but with much thinner Plastikard:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_30_zps2205bddd

Just for good measure, we lightly score where the sheet is to be bent, and this time the centre part of the hat is made from GS, to hold it in place and fill any gaps around the inside:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_31_zpsa253c162

At this point, we realise that some mek-pak or other liquid poly glue would be a useful thing to have, but alas there is none to be found anywhere in the house. We take the hint, and leave it for another time...
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyMon May 26, 2014 6:09 am

This is looking good. And I could lend you some glue, but it´s quite a walk .... Smile
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 11:11 pm

OK, so having walked all the way to Kent, then to North Wales, in search of some liquid poly (sadly to no avail), we obtain some from an emporium not 3 miles away - If only we had tried there first...

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_32_zps4e5814d7

A bit of research of images of Chelsea Pensioners' tricorne hats shows that there is usually to be found a small rosette or cockade-type emblem on the left side, so we attempt to emulate that in some way, with a small lump of our trusty Grey Stuff:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_33_zpse4c9d30d

At this stage, we decide that some priming, using car body acrylic spray primer, is in order:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_34c_zpsa39b7718

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_34d_zps9a669dcb

Immediately, all the imperfections, cracks, lumps and bumps are revealed in all their questionable glory. At some convenient point these will be smoothed out or otherwise eliminated. Depending on how much of that is required, another dose of spray primer may be appropriate.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 7:15 am

Looking good with the coat of primer. Still in the middle of Indian Ocean, so I´m "excused games" at the moment.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 10:55 am

Your making great progress, always good to see it come together with a coat of primer, was thinking just a good job you don't sell these as there price would be astronomical, but then that's modelling for you.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 12:28 pm

I love to see your work.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks, chaps, for most kind comments.

Ah, the old "in the middle of the Indian Ocean" excuse... haven't heard that one in a while! Cool 

@Peter, Tis a pity, I'd love a job involving this kind of work but it is so labour intensive that it's not a viable option really. I have done 'commissions' before of course, as one or two on here will attest - even though they did part with significant sums (for a single figure, anyway), it's not what you could call a living wage even by the biggest stretch of the imagination. In any event, the money was always for charity; my reward was (and is) the buzz of making something truly unique (I couldn't make 2 the same, even if I tried!); hopefully someone else then gets to enjoy the results in return for their hard-earned.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 11:10 pm

So, given we are now officially 'between jobs' again, we find ourselves blessed with some free time during the day to make good the more obvious lumps and bumps, by smoothing a small amount of Milliput over the affected areas with a wet finger:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_36b_zpseb2a2361

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_36c_zps46e0ac8f

We also consider how we will come up with a suitable walking stick. Fortunately, the raw material (some very thin gauge brass wire) was available from the decorative outside of a bottle of Spanish wine. First, though, we find a suitable recepticle into which we pour the contents - a mouth is useful for this, I have found. After a suitable recovery period and some appropriate pain killers, we are able to twist together 3 strands of said brass wire:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_35_zps50132b87

After coating with PVA glue to make painting easier, and some cutting to length and bending and generally messing it about, we end up with this:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_38_zps23dc4966

After drilling a small hole to take the 'handle' of the walking stick, we are able to insert said handle:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_39_zps6890e447

Finally, for now at least, we assemble a modest (but honourably won) set of medals to adorn the man's chest:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_40_zpse1ac425c

Still needed is another short trip to the spray shop to redo the primer layer before the painting can begin.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 am

Very inventive as usual, you cant beat a good scrap box or a good bottle of wine for that matter.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyThu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Very nice. I hope the medals are all accounted for with appropriate research as to battles, etc. :-)
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 12:44 pm

So after a significant wait for an opportunity to progress further:

Another quick spray of primer, and the painting begins:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_41_zpsc367b53b

We then apply a bit more detail, including medal ribbons and red stripe down the outside of the trousers:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_42b_zpsfdb10561

Then finally, some finishing touches to the face, with some flesh tone washes to pick out the facial features more:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_43_zpsba33e21a

... and some stripes to complete the look:

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner ChelsPen_43b_zps2854d0ca

So there we have it, better late than never!
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Excellent result. Of course, now he needs a couple of friends Laughing
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 5:29 am

Fantastic result, but what a job just to get there. If you spend the equivalent on each piece of your railway, it will take years! The only minor critic would be a too shiny paint that does not quite give the impression of fabric; but it will attenuate whit time. The boots are fantastic and look like top quality leather. The attitude is very realistic as if he was really leaning on his stick

Bravo!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Indeed the paint is somewhat shiny, i have some matt spray that will hopefully dull it down. Also, I have noticed in photos that there is supposed to be some gold braid round the edge of the tricorne, so I will need to put that right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner   YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner Empty

Back to top Go down

YAF (Yet Another Figure) - Chelsea Pensioner
Page 1 of 1