Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A french tram, but where ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dtsteam

dtsteam

A french tram, but where ? Empty
PostSubject: A french tram, but where ?   A french tram, but where ? EmptySat May 31, 2014 7:42 pm

I came across this rather nice picture, but as has happened before I have no idea where it is... I'm assuming the three pillars are ancient as the track has been swung around them. Can anyone help ?
A french tram, but where ? 828_0010
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: A french tram, but where ?   A french tram, but where ? EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Its Nime, the Castanet line.

Here a link to a better picture of the post card : 
http://www.nemausensis.com/MidiLibre/nimesXIX/1930f.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: A french tram, but where ?   A french tram, but where ? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Looking online for old postcards, I found one without the tramline, but with a horse and cart. Oh, the wonders of modern technology!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: A french tram, but where ?   A french tram, but where ? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 6:15 pm

I think it looks better with the tram ! 
Partner reckoned that the pillars were Roman, so I can tell her she was right.
Thanks guys.

oops just looked at the source site and there is a comment that they are not roman ! 
Hmmm better keep quiet
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: A french tram, but where ?   A french tram, but where ? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 8:04 pm

dtsteam wrote:
I think it looks better with the tram ! 
Partner reckoned that the pillars were Roman, so I can tell her she was right.
Thanks guys.

oops just looked at the source site and there is a comment that they are not roman ! 
Hmmm better keep quiet

Well, it´s a reasonable guess that they were Roman, as it was written on the other postcard (on the link), and if you can´t trust postcards ... Shocked  

My web source says that there were four columns at one stage and they were built in the Middle Ages to support a roof that covered a cross. For reasons to do with town planning and progress all was demolished at the end of the 50s, but plans are apparently afoot to rebuild. Perhaps they could have a tram line running through it, again. Quite where they´re going to find the fourth column, I don´t know. But the town quarter of Nimes is still know as "Trois Piliers" ..... so there you are.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: A french tram, but where ?   A french tram, but where ? EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for that. It explains why I  struggled to find its location on Google maps... 
PICON is an aperitif I understand. In fact a look through early french tram images with advertising, nearly all advertised aperitifs, including one Marseille tram which managed to advertise Byrrh, Picon & Dubonnet on the same vehicle. The only exceptions were an advert for Maggi Soup, and one for Jacob Suchard which turned out to be Swiss anyway. This definitely beats Britain who barely managed to advertise Newcastle Brown on the Newcastle trams, and the appalling  Wantneys beers on London trams.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A french tram, but where ?   A french tram, but where ? Empty

Back to top Go down

A french tram, but where ?
Page 1 of 1