Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Empty
PostSubject: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 12:56 pm

While waiting for a solution to my Polar Deva diesel-elecric generator, I have started a new project: it is the diesel electric built bythomson for the Chemins de Fer du Congo Océan (CFCO). This huge loc (3600 cv) which is a lot for a metric track was built in the late 60's.

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Bb_bb_10

I plan to use Aristocraft blocks (60mm between axles, which is a bit short). To keep the longitudinal proportion I reduce the whole longitudinal length in the same proportion; I think it will help in the curves without spoiling tomuch the silhouette of the machine, which will anyhaw be very long (around 75 cm).

I just received my new wheels from Sierra Valley: 37 mm diameter which is thesame reduced proportion as the between axle distance.

I have built a trial chassis before starting the real built up. I plan to power it with a OS 4 stokes FS26 and a Pulso BLDC motor as a starter/generator. The much higher torque should prevent me from the trouble I got on the Polar Deva.

I will tell you more as my project proceeds.

Last edited by Saint-Oblas on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 6:18 am

I had not progressed on this project waiting materials to come (and also being on LGB 3060-3061 cars transforms). But now I am nearly set on the motor trucks:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Bogies10

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Bogie10

I put some rubber silent blocks between truck and chassis and also between bogies and truck. The deco of the bogie (fictive springs and so on) will be made of PMMA ans bolted in the smaal holes that can be seen on the picture through what we call "entretoise hexagonale" - i do not know the word in english, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 am

It's a good looking start and an interesting loco. I'm curious to see more.
Back to top Go down
dewintondave

dewintondave

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:55 am

Very good S-O.  I checked "entretoise hexagonale" on google images, and they are hexagonal PCB standoffs.  An excellent idea.

Best wishes,
Dave.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/dewintondave
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 pm

Just to have an idea of the monster, I made a momentary chassis of MDF. This will also allow me to test curves handling when I receive my LGB curved tracks R3 and R5.

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Chassi10

I received my pieces of track. The chassis seems to work nicely on R3 curves, which is quite a relief. Now I can go on developping the project.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 5:10 am

It has been quite a longtime since I posted on this topic.

Here are some pictures of the latest progresses.

- the trucks are near completion
the dummy suspension, made of PMMA (except the dummy springs made of electric wire, because I could not find real springs of the right dimension):

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Flancs10

the assembled truck:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Bogies11

- the chassis is on the way, made from a 120x40x3 mm rectangular aluminium tube:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Chassi10

- in order to handle curves with a minimum radius R3, I had to design a special coupling. The romm in this part of the model was quite limited, but I finally got through it

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Attela12

now I must find some more brass flat to build the other one!

with the skirt on, one has a fairly good idea of what the model should be

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Chassi11

Now I have to work on the mechanical part. I have some problem starting the OS FS 48 motor  I got for the job. I must contact an aeromodelism club where they are familiar to this type of motor. I forgot the idea of a brushless electric motor/generator. Though they have much better performances than brush motor, they are more difficult to handle. So I have ordered, a 12V brushed motor.
I will keep in touch...
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 7:16 am

Nice work. The bogie parts are looking really good. Is the rubber element connection within the bogies working well or is it to early to say?
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 7:28 am

It is top eaFly to say. The main problem is that I have no track to make any try.
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 7:06 pm

I have progressed a little on this project.

Here is the engine/motor-generator:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Montag13

Thereafter, the electrical diagram:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Schyma12

the inverters block:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Invers10

the big inverter  (N°14 on the diagram) is for reversing the electrical polarity on the motor. The smaller one is for switching front and backlights as well as detecting the neutral point to allow the starter operating. This is done through relays as follows:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Platin10
The power relays are acted through a Pololu device operated by the RC. The circuit on the bottom of the picture is just a voltage regulator for the extraction fans.

this is what it is when built up.

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Bloc_r10

A small circuit allows the switching of the lights:

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Contac10
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO EmptyThu Apr 21, 2016 9:20 am

A bit disgusted by the problems I encountered on my Polar-Deva (other thread), I tried to progress  on this project.
I made a lot of wiring. I even succeded, after a dozen of trials, programing the Pololu switches so that both will work on the same R/C chanel.

But I fell on a stupid problem: the rubber damping blocks I used for my suspension are much too soft and the loc rolls like a rocking chair! I have to take them apart (which needs some unwiring dure to a bad design of mine!) and do something before going any further. Maybe I will put thin steel leafs across to get some lateral stabilisation while keeping back and forth mobility?

Anyway it will be an heavy model: probably around ten kilograms when finished.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO   Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO Empty

Back to top Go down

Live diesel Alsthom BB BB from CFCO
Page 1 of 1