Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello

Go down 
+2
Admin
mikeyh
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Hello   Hello EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Hello everybody, just thought I'd say 'Hello' as I have just registered Smile
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi steve and welcome. Please tell us a bit more about your layout and yourself. WE are all nosey here!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm

There have been a few new members recently which has taken the modest membership to over 50 now.

A warm welcome to those who have recently joined and we look forward to your participation.

Just a reminder that this forum is self governing in that all members who post more than a couple of times will be of 'moderator' status. That allows you to edit, delete and modify posts at anytime and
also.... receive regular special bonus prizes of cheap Chinese made plastic wagons imported via Wales
(just a joke...and please don't anyone start a thread about this! affraid ).

There are no laid down rules and regulations except those listed when you registered and those concerning obvious good internet practice.

Don't be put off too much by the forum title. There are no requirements to join except a healthy interest. sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Hello again, as requested by Mikey.... A bit of info about my Model Railway activities.. some will no doubt Know me from other Forums!!

My first garden Railway was in 4mm/ft scale 00 it was built on wooden trestles ran from a shed down one side of the garden it worked well and allowed me to run longish trains with ease,

I built my first real Garden line back in '76, when LGB started to become more easily available in the UK, First loco was a U class + 3 4 wheel coaches, followed by a 2017D ( US style 0-4-0 tender loco which was immediately un americanised!!) then a Schoema 4w diesel and a Stainz, then a 2095 B0-B0 and a 2040 Crocodile,, this takes us to the early 80s when I bought the first 2085D Mallet to be sold in Manchester!!

2 or 3 house moves over the years resulted in quite a few lines being built and I have also 'tried' other garden railway scales such as 0 gauge FS & 16mm.

At the present time I am doing yet another line rebuild, and I have to admit that I buy and sell my stock too frequently, chopping & changing between different sectors of G scale. I recently bought a Live steam loco again my first for many years and there is a Roundhouse CricciethCastle R/C diesel on order! And a US LGB Streeetcar with sound turned up as well recently.

One thing which some may find strnage is the fact that after many years of using DCC I recently sold all my Massoth R/C equipment!!!! Dont get me wrong I think digital is great but feel I want a more simpler less involved approach to control. ( I do have another far less expensive DCC system as a stand by if I need one though!)

I will update as time progresses Surprised
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 8:23 am

thanks for that Steve, it's great to know theres yet another person on here whose brains i can pick !!(so much to learn!!)

mikey
Back to top Go down

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:04 am

mikeyh wrote:
thanks for that Steve, it's great to know theres yet another person on here whose brains i can pick !!(so much to learn!!)

mikey

Any time I can help, no problem,
Steve
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:45 am

Hi Steve welcome to the group, small but beautifully formed. That refers to the Group not you.
Back to top Go down

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 11:14 am

Prompted by young Steve’s address above, I’m also a newcomer here but have a far less experience in ‘G’. For 20 years or so I modelled ‘0’gauge Finescale and could probably have told you which detail part related to what wagon for any given period. Three years ago, I met an LGB collector who was selling part of his collection and was completely taken with the Mallet and brown & cream Pullmans. So I decided to ‘lighten up’, sold everything 7mm (a substantial quantity), and started to enjoy my trains!

I now have, running with Massoth DCC:
Two ‘Caledonia’s with the excellent Accucraft W&L wagons and some coach kits,
Mallet & 0-8-0 with nine Pullmans,
and – thanks to one of Steve’s umpteen changes-of-direction – a Shay with a rapidly growing line of Bachmann Spectrum wagons.

There is, however, a slight hitch to running my garden railway; I have no garden.

My trains have sole possession of the 4x5 metre attic room (called ‘the nursery’ by the rest of the family...) where some R2 curves allow a circuit. We foresee a move upon my wife’s retirement (she is the breadwinner) and I have a hidden stock of track in the hope of a reasonable garden.
Philip
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 11:43 am

hi Philip. That is really interesting. I sometimes wish that i had settled for an indoor layout then i could have carried on working through the winter. then i think of the 40 degree plus summers we get so perhaps the garden is ok after all!

got any pics? (I'm more used to saying that on other kinds of forum!!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 12:38 pm

When/if I do achieve a garden railway, there will also be a shed - preferably garage - for those cold & wet days!
Meanwhile, embryo station:
Hello 2_x_410

Now the tricky part - the stairwell. Lost two coaches off here, it is now a sturdy 'girder bridge':
Hello Stairw10

New locos have to be thoroughly checked out...
Hello Whatis10

(Got there eventually!)

Last edited by penylanpip on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Don't forget you chaps in the UK (or anywhere) and especially those without garden running facilities.
There is an open day at Geoff Watkins in Deux Sevres in July. See events section.

It is possible to very nearly get there by train. A new 3 hour TER/TGV service to Paris via Tours which goes to Bressuire about 10kms away.

The doors are always open here chez moi if anyone wants to visit with or without trains.
I am 20kms easy access from Paris, CDG airport and main motorways.
House is a mess but can put up a small faimily.

Philip, if you're having trouble with photos let me know. It's not the same as GSM.
Back to top Go down

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 2:05 pm

Its funny how animals seem to like Shays, As Philip noted that Shay onece belomged to me and while I had it I noticed that our dogs, would always pay it some attention when it ran, totally ignoring anything else!
Back to top Go down

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Two more chaps whose posts I have enjoyed reading in the past.
Welcome from me too!
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 pm

As a prior owner of one of the nine pullmans, and someone who also started LGB in 1976 - Greetings !
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi and welcome to all those going CONTINENTAL !

Sante Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:46 pm

dtsteam wrote:
As a prior owner of one of the nine pullmans, and someone who also started LGB in 1976 - Greetings !

Hey thats a Coicidence I bought my first LGB mid 70's A U Class 3 coaches an oval of track & 2 points cost me around £160, NEW no discounts then!
Bought from Beatties in Manchester!
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Interest in the Blackpool area kicked of about the same time, with the estate sale of a collector. It ended up being shared out between 4 or 5 people. I was a student at the time, and was overjoyed to get a Stainz for thirty quid in 1976. ( I've still got it - but its a bit faggy and needs a rebuild ! ).

Apart from cost, the biggest problem seemed to be supply. Beatties was a bit of a mixed bag, get it while you can. I remember the Magnus(?) models you mentioned elsewhere, as they would eventually find their way to Blackpool.

Although I've always had G scale since then, I threw my lot in with the local model tram crowd for many years, and lost touch with what LGB was doing. When I 'left' in the mid eighties it was still elephant proof track and running in all weathers. 20 years later, its circuit boards blowing up in the wet, peculiar DCC, and no one stands on the track !

I'm still a fan - I always will be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello   Hello Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: