Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper Empty
PostSubject: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996: 2-bay steel hopper.

Even though these are not European, I thought you might like to read my thoughts on these wagons. In my quest for greater realism, I’ve recently bought a pair of these hoppers. I possibly paid slightly over the odds for them, but they are worth it. They are a huge step forward in quality compared with the Big Hauler range.
I’ve not been in the Garden Train game very long, and have flitted between various manufacturers. But when I opened the boxes with these vehicles inside, I knew in which direction I was going. The very presence of one sitting on the track is amazing.

I got into the “collection game” a couple of years ago, buying stuff up without much thought, but, with this size stock, just a few wagons is enough for my small railway.
After removing the coupling locks, a small piece of plastic clipped under the coupler shank, they easily go round 8 foot (2438mm) diameter curves, which happily is the minimum on my layout. They run freely and seemingly without the oval wheel syndrome of some of the earlier Big Hauler cars. Of course, they have metal wheels from the factory; you don’t have to find another forty-odd quid to get good running. The detail is totally absorbing; there is an awful lot of rivet action going on, but I have neglected to count them. The die-cast bogies are sprung, with opening axlebox/journal covers. These covers, unlike some of the Spectrum range seem to be a bit more substantial, and therefore less prone to loss. I glued them shut anyway. Most of the visible brake rigging, control valves and pipe work is present too. Grab irons are made of stiff wire of suitable thickness, with correct simulated mounting bolts. The paintwork is flawless as is the printing of the road name. The buffing/draw gear is a diecast version of the Bachmann Knuckle. It has proved reliable so far and comes with the little chain and the lift bar arrangement all modelled. It is at the correct height, mounted underneath the solebar and not on the bogie. This has caused problems with Big Hauler stock and locos. Whereby you have different wagons with different height couplers. There is an offset coupler available for the 1:20.3 scale wagons, but then you’ll be in the territory of wagons with different height couplers at each end! Add to this my LGB/HLW vehicles with hook and loop couplings, confusion reigns!

Overall, approximate, dimensions,
Weight: 1265g
Length, over couplers: 400mm
Height, from railhead to top of wagon: 130mm
Width, over grab irons: 125mm

Here’s a couple of un-flattering photos of one:-

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper Dscf2111

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper Dscf2112
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 am

John wrote:
there is an awful lot of rivet action going on, but I have neglected to count them.
Tut, tut; half a job....

I'm not surprised you are impressed with them, John; this range is stunning. I have the box car, gondola and tanker - you will like those also!

The high level of detail may not be suitable for folk whose trains charge around the great outdoors, though.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:23 pm

John that looks a great model.

I may be interested in some big cheap hooper wagons myself but to do a real job.
I have one LGB 4 wheeled one but I need some more and bigger like the Bachman.

Doe this Bachman model have operating hoppers or if not could they be made to operate do you think?

I would appreciate any pics of that part if possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Carl,
So, I get the sack already.... Smile
Yes, the bottom doors open. CUH! I missed a big feature.
There's a latch on each side of the doors that is held down and therefore the doors locked shut by means of a half teardrop cam.
Releasing the cams releases the latches and the door can be swung open. I dont know if they'll be anygood for ballasting as you'll just end up with a big heap under the wagon. I guess the doors could be restricted as to how far they opened though.

Heres a couple more photos from my old Box Brownie:-

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper Dscf2113

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper Dscf2114
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks John, that's just what I wanted to know.

I am going reballast a large section of the line this spring after the bloody theiving birds stole most of it. Les 'voleurs volant'. scratch

These wagons will be ideal.

I shall be putting in an order soon.

I just need a tamper and the rest of the PW train. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:48 pm

18 months ago I put one tonne of chippings down on my line. I reckon a third of it has gone. I think the answer is...er... that mix where you put peat and cement in with the stones....can't think of the name.

As for a tamper, I heard LGB/Maerklin were bringing one out. elephant
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:14 pm

John wrote:
I think the answer is...er... that mix where you put peat and cement in with the stones....can't think of the name.
Rowlands Mix? Nice wagons too, btw! Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

'scuse ignorance but what is the advantage of 'rowlands mix'?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Mikey, I am given to understand that it has two redeeming features:

1 Because it has cement dust mixed in with the stones, it bonds the whole thing together, thus making the ballast better able to withstand the attentions of the aforementioned feathered fiends, as well as brooms, wives, lawnmowers and whatever else might want to cart it off.

2 The presence of the peat/compost/whatever, encourages the growth of moss and similar greenery in amongst the rails and sleepers, which supposedly improves the look of the track bed once said moss is established

Some swear by it, some swear at it!

A link chosen at random from the many returned from my own search on t'interweb

http://www.wis.co.uk/andy/16mm/rowlandsmix.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper   Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper Empty

Back to top Go down

Bachmann 1:20.3 88996 2 bay hopper
Page 1 of 1