Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Descisions Descisions.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Descisions Descisions. Empty
PostSubject: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 3:57 pm

My next birthday is my 50th.
(where the hell did that go?)

SWMBO has just intimated that I might be able to get a special railway Birthday present.

I quite fancy something by Accucraft.......(an Electrically driven East Broad Top 2-8-2 or something similar.)

However, If I was to....er....."Go European" on a temporary basis......what could I expect...... for say £2000?

Of course, I would want metal, I would not like to shell out 2 grand for plastic.

I am a bit wary of live steam after I set my parents house on fire with a Mamod, during the miners strikes*, so thats probably out too.

My knowledge of European manufacturers is scant to say the least. Any ideas?

elephant

* I got a sound thrashing for that.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 4:11 pm

I dont want this to sound like GSM but if it was my birthday I'd settle for the sound thrashing (from a nice young blonde!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:02 pm

GSM? Surely you mean BDSM?

My time for nice young blondes is over unfortunately.
unless I either:-

1) Pay Or
2) loose everything I own

Neither of which I am prepared to do.

I even had my mid life crisis a while ago. Nope. I wanna Euro Kettle..

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Go Regner...Ready built (See what Andy - Mzb has ordered....) or have a chat with another nice English speaking German near Aachen.

Ralph Reppingen

Live steam for running AND a beautiful scale model that is an investment.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Seriously i can understand where john is coming from. I looked at the Regner catalogue and every machine looks like a work of art,but i have this fearful reluctance to go 'live steam' Perhaps because i dont know enough about it; burning fingers (I'm a pro musician) dont appeal!! I would be interested to know what models would figure in that sort of price bracket if they're not live steam!

mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Carl. Theres some real lovelies on that web page. Particularly the Pacifik forKolonies(Africa?) I'd be terrified of blowing it up though. Simply couldnt risk that sort of money to end up with an expensive repair job or worse scrap. I've thought about getting a Willie (yes yes I know) to try but, I'd sooner spend that £400 towards a lekky driven one....doyou see? I'd be 400 quid in front at it were......sorry if that don't make sense..
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm

It makes sense John and each to their own.
Good luck with your decision.

Live steam isn't for everyone and I undertand that, but for me it's like a good Burgundy, once you've tried it you can't leave it alone. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Quote :
However, If I was to....er....."Go European" on a temporary basis......what could I expect...... for say £2000?

Carl beat me to the answer .... the electric Mh6 / 399 is 2,000 Euros for the kit but I fear they are all spoken for. I have just tried to buy a 399 as well but I don't hold out much hope. I too am 50 in March and feeling very depressed about it (hence the 399).

You could also look at the LGB Aster specials ... Tim at Arcadia Models has a new DB Mallet (in black) that he has had in stock for some time .... you could maybe twist his arm below £1500. A green Tssd version was also made and an LGB Aster HSB 2-10-2 was made in 1999 preceding the plastic ones and (if you can find one) you should get change from £2,000.

The Kiss HSB Mallet will see a 2nd run in October ...
http://www.kiss-modellbahnen.de/index.php?language=de&obereich=produkte&bereich=spur_2m&ubereich=deutsche_loks&file=content.BR_99_5906.inc.php
... or how about the unique Berninabahn Crocodile (with French La Mure connections) which should be out now ...
http://www.kiss-modellbahnen.de/index.php?language=de&obereich=produkte&bereich=spur_2m&ubereich=schweizer_loks&file=content.Ge_4slash4_182.inc.php

All the mentioned models are made from brass.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Thanks for the links MzB......Oh and dont be depressed about being 50...Its not too bad when you consider the alternative.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 10:02 pm

Frank's garten Bahn (Berlin) has a Bernina Krokodil for sale @ £2,835 .... getting cheaper all the time as the £ picks up .... Smile

Kiss 1:22.5 scale brass model
http://fgb-berlin.de/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/ae674c376b62920f1bb096a033a222be.jpg

The Bernina Krokodil is unique and was very nearly lost. Only one was ever built, originally looking like a double ended snowplough. After being withdrawn from service, it was bought for use on the LaMure railway in France but was the wrong voltage. It languished for 21 years there, slowly rotting away until rescued in 1999 for a complete restoration in Switzerland.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Descisions Descisions.   Descisions Descisions. Empty

Back to top Go down

Descisions Descisions.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: