Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blithfield Mineral Light Railway?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? Empty
PostSubject: Blithfield Mineral Light Railway?   Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 4:51 pm

Well thats what it's called this week. It's in a right state. I laid it double track, so I could sit and watch the trains go by and for some time all worked reasonably well. I got some Bachmann Annies and some LGB locos(V52s etc) and relaxed with a beer or more often tea, and lost myself in my own little world. I'd got quite a nice collection of grotty wagons for the locos to haul too. I was content.
Then I got the offer of a Consolidation at a price I could not resist. I had heard so many horror stories about them from the various forums I read that I had discounted them as crap but I thought I'd risk this one. It was, and after many, many hours of running still is, fine. I was paranoid enough though to strip it down just to check motor/gearbox screws etc. Nothing found. The problems started after the purchase of the second one. THe railway was laid out with LGB track spacing.....From memory about 6"/150mm. Not enough for these fat ...er...locos. Even on 8'/2400mm diameter curves they would have tore chunks off each other at 6 inch pitch. I had to go out to 7.5"/185mm minimum. Deep Joy. Now I knew this would happen before I bought the second one, but, It's just the realisation that you HAVE to rebuild the whole thing that wears you down......but I suppose in a nice way. Temporarily I singled the line.....perhaps I should have just said only one Connie in use at any time, as 1:22.5 stuff would clear them. But I thought I would have the thing rebuilt quickly. Then I did my back in. Its an old injury, you know, when you're young and think you are invinsible? It's come and gone over the years. So, over the winter I've brought in my S&C to give it some TLC, therefore, I dont even have a run now. When this foul weather eventually gets better, I am going to have a week out there to sort it all out. Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? Well I dont know, Blithfield is the reservoir is where we get our water from in this area, Mineral is what it carries, Light means I don't have to provide signals (although I'll bet there isnt many double track light railways.....) I'm not very good at choosing a name for it, this is about the sixth.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blithfield Mineral Light Railway?   Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:02 pm

John wrote:
although I'll bet there isnt many double track light railways......

The DLR (Docklands) is double track. bom

How about some pics John? (Your line not the DLR though...)
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com

PostSubject: Re: Blithfield Mineral Light Railway?   Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Couple of photos of my small back yard, about the time my wife realised,
too late, that she had goofed by saying that I could do what I liked there.

Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? Garden11

Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? Garden10

The U shaped ballast in the middle of the pictures is the remnants of the first line, a simple concentric oval of two tracks.

Still got a load of work to do even though it has come a long way from this.
Back to top Go down
markbiff

markbiff

PostSubject: Re: Blithfield Mineral Light Railway?   Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 pm

affraid is the line workable john ? looks like your to have visitors in the next couple of weeks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blithfield Mineral Light Railway?   Blithfield Mineral Light Railway? Empty

Back to top Go down

Blithfield Mineral Light Railway?
Page 1 of 1