Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MAZAK

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:24 am

I've started chopping a Triang Morris FFK long wheelbase chassis/cab into a BMC FHK tractor unit. Not a major modification but has anyone tried cutting good quality MAZAK? This model is from the Triang "Jumbo" range, and like LGB they used an elephant to prove their robustness ... so how come I buy a doner with a bent axle?
Chassis has been shortened and I was going to dovetail the two halves together but I may end up bolting together with a strip of brass ... a lot less hassle.

Neutral

MAZAK DSCN1942_640
Back to top Go down

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 am

The green chassis/cab will just be re-sprayed and left as a Morris ... it has an excellent Horse Box body that is just missing the rear ramp and part of the hinge .... these models suffer from shrinkage of the glazing and headlamps, the latter are usually missing. The red truck (now completely paint stripped) just needs the grille area cutting out and joining back together.

Neutral

MAZAK DSCN1944_640
Back to top Go down

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:49 am

This pic shows front of horsebox model and the front of a real Morris FFK. Triang have compromised on the grill arpeture which means I will need to fill the outer grill recess and file out the lower part ... a fiddly job with needle files and bits of hacksaw blade ... perhaps I should invest bin a Dremmel set.
Note the shrunken cab glazing and the missing headlights.

Neutral

MAZAK TriangJumboHorseBox1
Back to top Go down

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:03 am

Model should end up with this type of grille and BMC badging instead of Morris. I like the colour scheme on this but haven't decided yet on livery. The idea is for a low loader trailer to carry a 2092 shunt loco. I originally wanted a 2095 load, but a lorry of this weight range wouldn't look right.

Neutral

MAZAK MorrisFFKCVD116C640
Back to top Go down

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 11:20 am

Anyway ... got carried away ... originally was only posting about the properties of MAZAK. At G-Rail at weekend, got talking to Paul Holt about why it was so tough. I came up with Zinc whilst Paul came up with Magnesium .... so a Magnesium-Zinc alloy looked like a feasible composition. Looking into it further ... the clue is in its name ... though using the German names for it elements .... MA=Magnesium / Z=Zink (Zinc) / A=Aluminium / K=Kupfer (Copper). The main metals are Zinc (about 95%) and Aluminium (about 4%), magnesium is added to refine the grain whilst copper is added to increase the strength. Apparently it was originally known as ZAMaK to reflect the order of the percentage of each metal.

Surprised
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 6:33 pm

An unusual alloy Andy.
Presumably its highly corrosion resistant with that composition.
Do you have any trouble with paint adhesion ?
Does it need an etch primer coat ?
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 7:39 pm

I had one hell of a job getting the original paint off ....this had no primer underneath but I assume the paint was lead based. I usually use just a normal automotive spray (grey) primer and have had no problems with that applied to other mazak models.

Early mazak corroded and disintegrated over a short time due to using impure zinc (known as mazak rot or fatigue). These models don't suffer from it though.

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Great trucks. Having grown up in the 60's (C reg = 1965) I like these machines.
I would be quite happy to have a section on here about road vehicles.

Interesting information about Zamak as I know it. Didn't know it was called MAZAK too.

There was a train manufacturer in the smaller scales making chassis from it at one time.

Zinc as every good metallurgist, narrowboat owner and boiler maker knows is a 'sacrificial' metal.
When used in an alloy (e.g. brass) it can leach or corode away under certain circumstances - sometimes deliberately.
Arsenic can be added to the alloy to stop or control 'dezinctification'.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 1:00 pm

Meccano used Zamak for Dinkies and early Hornby-Dublo; I visited Binns Rd in the late 50s (what a treat for a school boy!); some immediate post war Dublo locos got zamak fatigue, but I think they changed the mix. Don't know what Wrenn used when they took over the range!

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Well done Phil,

Hornby Dublo and Meccano used Zamak....I knew I'd seen it somewhere! Wink
Back to top Go down

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 1:08 am

All metal die cast toys are made from Mazak ..... Corgi, Dinky, Matchbox, Budgie, Spot-On, Hornby-Dublo, Solido, etc ..... nothing else they could be made from. The quality varies.

Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MAZAK Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAZAK   MAZAK Empty

Back to top Go down

MAZAK
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: