Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A diary of Tramway Demiel

Go down 
+16
Clarkmeggs
tram47
KleineDicke
philkelly
fm12
pjti
Bearcastle
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
Paul Stainz Holt
French Chuffed
micheline
markbiff
Admin
clive_t
mikeyh
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
clive_t

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Wow, another sunny day in Demiel Cool

The roof of the paper mill looks like it's weathering nicely!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Very Happy Yes the fallen tiles certainly give it a bit of character!

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Some fallen women would add some character of a different sort..... Twisted Evil

Now there's an idea for another diorama.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 am

Mikey, I've been looking back at the start of this thread, and the progress over the last 18 months or so is fantastic!

On page 3 there's a photo of the railway that you took from an upstairs window. Is there any chance you could do another shot now from the same location? I suspect it will make for a very interesting comparison!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 am

Yes Clive, quite a difference! It just sort of grew!!

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 Demiel393

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Pierre d Imagimonde

Pierre d Imagimonde

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 3:49 pm

c est joli tout plein Smile
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Just as much a model village as a garden railway. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Very good shot Mikey, as Carl says a model village with a railway,’ a la Bekonscot’
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Merci bien mes amis. I take the model village as a compliment! I'm trying to keep it 'real'. and not have models of the Eiffel tower or Versailles (as some model villages I've seen do).

I am turning my attention more to the trains now. My rolling stock is very limited so a couple more coaches are next on the list. Thats after the scratchbuilt fishing boat is done. might not post any pics, given Peters past!!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Great pic, and what a difference in a little over a year!
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Yes Mikey a great achievement in 18 months or so, I am clocking up 4 years now with not so much progress. Perhaps I should call mine ‘The slow but surely railway’
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 am

Impressive. That pic even reminds me of some distant shots of hillside southern French villages taken from a distance and baking in the hazy sun...
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:37 pm

This is my scratchbuilt French fishing boat. I hasten to add that it is not based on a particular boat, just made from recycled bits and pieces. Maybe Peter, as an ex boat builder can answer this;its a flat bottom boat and i havent floated it yet but do you think a bit that hangs under the boat with a bit of weight on will help keep it upright (dont know what that is called!);

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 Demiel394

Mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 3:06 pm

I think you are referring to a keel, and you will probably need one if you intend to actually float your boat, especially if you add any sails and rigging.

I have a similar boat I purchased as a souvenir somewhere and it has a rather large, heavy keel extending from the hull. The trick is to get it heavy enough to keep the boat upright without capsizing it. You could probably add a keel made of a scrap of wood and attach a fishing weight at its bottom for stability.

I really like the boat- it has great character. I can almost smell the rotting fishes. Nicely done.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

no it wasnt a keel I was thinking of, although that would help. I think its called a centreboard. Anyway it floats quite well and is surprisingly stable. Apparently in those days the river fishing industry was quite large. The French have always eaten freshwater fish more than say the UK.

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 5:52 pm

A centreboard is a type of keel- the difference is a centreboard can be pivoted up into the boat when it is not needed. Similarly, a daggerboard is one that lifts straight up into the boat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centerboard

If it floats well as it is, then I see no reason to mess with it.

Last edited by KleineDicke on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Another cracking little scratchbuild Mikey - would the fishermen have used nets or lines?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Thats one of the things I'm researching Clive. One of the problems is that when a picture of a river boat was taken it was always from a distance (to get all the mast in), so onboard details are not very clear. I found most of the best pics on 'your' Delcamp (under 'bateaux riviere) site. As i said it was quite a large industry so I cant imagine rod and line was used but.......

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 pm

spooky - as we speak i am searching the same site for postcards of 'bateau peche'
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:08 pm

You always get better results than I do Clive. So did the French name their boats in 1910? Did they decorate them like in UK .I'm going to leave the boat black (as though it was coated with pitch) but i thought a little gold lining would look OK.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 pm

BTW Thanks Bill. I thought a full keel would be beyond my capabilities but as you say, it floats OK and will only be tied up alongside the jetty with no sails up.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 pm

I haven't found any evidence of boats being named - some of them have numbers, but it looks like all of those are based at sea-going ports. As for colour, well i don't think black was the colour:

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 972_001

Great costumes too!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Likewise Clive. I think i may settle for a seagoing boat that comes home and moors on the river!!

A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 895_001

love the costumes but perhaps difficult to model?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 pm

mikeyh wrote:

love the costumes but perhaps difficult to model?
Oooh, i don't know... Cool
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:44 pm

mikeyh wrote:
So did the French name their boats in 1910? Did they decorate them like in UK .I'm going to leave the boat black (as though it was coated with pitch) but i thought a little gold lining would look OK.

Mikey

In the photo Clive posted, I see a number at the bow (35?) but there also appears to be perhaps a word at the stern, although I can't make it out. I'm also guessing this bateau peche doesn't have any sort of keel or centreboard - it's beached and there's no evidence of a centerboard or daggerboard up in the boat, so I think you're prototypical without one.

The photo also looks to me like this might be some sort of pleasure craft- like sports fishing- and not truly pecheurs. They look like they are dersssed for an outing, and if the photo is of the "retour", where's the fish? Maybe that explains the two-tone paint job as well.

Or maybe I'm just being way too analytical. It's been a long day and I need to go home now.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 am

Dont worry Bill, it gets you like that sometimes! I must be cracking up but after a few hours research last night I realise that I am a complete landlubber when it comes to boats! What I have built is not a fishing boat at all but a 'Gabarre' These were sailboats dedicated to carrying goods up and down the rivers of France. In the Dordogne they carried 90 per cent of goods such as lace and foods between Bordeaux and Bergerac. They also, wait for it..carried a lot of the chemicals used in the papermills which the railways refused to carry. ~
(they changed their minds quite quickly though!). so its a Gabarre, whose owners were quite proud of their craft, so I think a little lining and decoration will be OK!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A diary of Tramway Demiel   A diary of Tramway Demiel - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

A diary of Tramway Demiel
Page 13 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next