Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Santons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Santons Empty
PostSubject: Santons   Santons EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 4:28 pm

for those of you who have never heard of them may i tell you about the santons

Santons Santons

'Santon' is an old Provence language word meaning 'little saint' and from the middle ages onwards were little figurines made from breadcrumbs,clay or crushed glass and formed the 'creches' in churches; the little Nativity scenes. In 1822 as a result of church persecution the making of them was banned, but the art just went underground and through the ages the range of figures has been expanded to include figures from 18/19/and early 20th century to represent all the trades of provence. They are made in sizes of 4,7,9 14 27 cms and are fine for any european garden railway as the dress of the country folk has changed little over the ages. they are made now of solid terracotta (like flowerpots) so are great for outdoors. the price of a 7 cm figure is about 9 euros BUT if you are prepared to paint them yourself they are between 2 and 4 euros each (santons brut on French ebay) i've ordered 10 of them today at 2.5 euros each with a post charge of 5 euros (of course if you want something different and a bit special then Clive is still your man!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Santons   Santons EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks Mikey, I never knew these existed. Neither did my wife.

I might buy a few for some background figures.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Santons   Santons EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:16 am

Jardiland (at Angouleme anyway) stock the Escoffier santons. As I understand it the makers of these santons are entitled to put their name after the word 'santon' and they are known as 'santonniers' there is a big exposition in the Provence every year where thousands are on display. Although they all do the same characters it pays to look at a few different makers as the details may be finer. they are ideal for background figures though.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Santons   Santons EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 12:03 pm

It' typical of Provence and it's a christmas tradition as well. They are use to decorate a tyipcal provence village and the barn where jesus is born.

There's people making villages with those, with all the traditional aspect you could find in a village in Provence. All kind of job are in show from the shoe maker to the bakery, ....

They exist in a lot of scale.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Santons   Santons EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Well after several months of searching for the best prices I finally bought these four. They are 7cms high and very well painted. Made of terra cotta they can be left outside during the summer months. #these were 2 euros unpainted and 2.49 euros (painted) each. good price. not for modern image perhaps but country folks dress has not changed much!

Santons Demiel263

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Santons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Santons   Santons Empty

Back to top Go down

Santons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: