Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bachmann Connie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Having just bought a Bachmann Connie at what I consider an excellent price, my initial reaction was ... it's going to be too big.

First, I couldn't get the box in the boot which wasn't a good start .... testing on my own Radius 1 curves proved my point .... but when it was found to be too wide to run on the CFR, it looked like it was destined for a life on display or as loft insulation top-up.

Bachmann Connie MCBargains
Back to top Go down

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 5:25 pm

The locomotive is over width for running on the CFR, but regarding radius 1 curves ... the loco on its own would go round radius 1, as would the tender on its own. It was down to the coupling then. Whilst there is scope to couple the tender further from the locomotive, this looks awful. Removing just two screws at the rear of the footplate and removing same allows the loco to traverse radius 1 whilst being coupled up close. The footplate (with flap) can be re-attached at any time. Modifying the footplate would also work but would detract when the loco was put on display or used on more gentler curves.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 5:33 pm

wow that seems an excellent price. so what are you going to do with it?

mikey
Back to top Go down

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 6:07 pm

Mainly I'll just display it, but will run it now and again. I've altered the coupling heights to couple with my LGB stuff. Bachmann buckeyes do couple to LGB buckeyes but not automatically ... the Bachmann ones actually look nicer than the LGB ones so might standardise on those.
I fancied altering my White Pass No.7 to represent the White Pass No.69 which has just been restored and put into service, but it is completely different (larger boiler, longer smokebox, shorter stack, lower cab, etc).
It's a pity this model wasn't to the smaller 1:22.5 scale as it would have made it narrower and able to run on more layouts. It would also have looked more in proportion with the rolling stock. As it is, the rolling stock looks too narrow and too squat.

Bachmann Connie Comparison697
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 6:38 pm

The price looks good, where did you buy it.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Bearcastle wrote:

...and for Laurent do they do an all yellow version? Razz
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 pm

I am sure Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 5:21 am

Quote :

Available to order from Ian Allan Bookshops.

Bachmann Connie BachmannWPYR7July10thbcropped800

Bachmann Connie BachmannWPYR7July10thc800
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 7:27 am

Do you have a link for it ?
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 7:45 am

What is the train standing on; (apart from the track) it looks like a plastic or fibreglass tray that would be ideal for retaining ballast?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 7:53 am

Andy...quite a few people don't know what the CFR is here. Question
Back to top Go down

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 8:03 am

Quote :
What is the train standing on
It is fibreglass troughing lids. The railway use this troughing to contain buried cables and is usually made of concrete, although if the cabling needs to come above ground for any reason, this fibreglass stuff is sometimes used. I have used the actual troughs themselves as tunnels, for over-covering against intrusive bushes and as supports for the upside down lids. This was being replaced and so rather than see it thrown away, I recycled it for them.
In the pic above, I have removed all the ballast and about to put in some fresh (been putting up a new fence and the old stuff got scattered). The lids (about 5ft / 1500mm) hold the ballast very well. I should have got hold of some more lidding when I had the chance ... don't think they use it anymore.

Quote :
quite a few people don't know what the CFR is here

The CFR is the Charnwood Forest Railway, a G scale layout open to the public at Rothley Station on the preserved Great Central Railway near Loughborough, England. It is open every weekend and Bank Holiday (even during the winter) running different themes each week (Swiss, Austrian, American, British, Christmas, Thomas, etc) and occasionally live steam.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bachmann Connie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bachmann Connie   Bachmann Connie Empty

Back to top Go down

Bachmann Connie
Page 1 of 1