Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Empty
PostSubject: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 1:26 pm

No, this topic is not about bending oak.

Having get Peco track code 250, it seems difficult to get a track bender, the only one working on code 250 rails appearing to be the Swiss Train-Li.

Though, silvernickel being quite elastic and the rail width lower than for code 332, it is nearly impossible to flex manually, it returns to a position very far from where you bent it. One single rail could be bent at a radius of ~400 mm and return straight ! In fact, as for HO rails, they could be supplied rolled.

So, after some thinking, I’ve decided to built a track bender of my own design, the slight problem being that I no longer have any workshop.

I decided to use components already available at home and easy to work with my limited means:
- Oak spare from bookshelves building
- Roller bearings (I own a whole bunch of those, because they are the basic components of the CNC machine I built)
- Miscellaneous screws and bolts

So, as I usually do, I seated facing the computer doing some drawings on Autocad.

You shall see below the result after a few hours of designs and also a few hours of building (with inevitably some mistakes). The bender is quite stiff and working well. It shall be firmly maintained against the track, especially at junctions.
The central bar is sliding to adjust the radius, pushed by a screw. No return spring, it is pushed back with a finger.

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Cintre10

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Cintre11

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Cintre12

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Cintre13

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Cintre14

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Cintre15

This prototype version is not adjustable (it is glued and screwed) and shall only work for the code 250 track.
I shall publish the drawings of such bender soon, modified to an adjustable version. I do not know if the adjustable version shall be as stiff as the prototype. If not, no problem, glue it, screw firmly and built one for each rail size.

I have tried with good results to weld the rails before bending. The bender creates a slight discontinuity at the junction but this is acceptable and could be somewhat corrected by hand.
I discovered that silvernickel have a major advantage over brass, its thermal conductivity being much lower than brass, it is very easy to weld with a moderate power iron (less than 100w).
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Its a 21st century skateboard! Love to see it working.

mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Bent track   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 3:40 pm

I forgot the photo of the result (look at the junction, which is welded):

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Voie_c10
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 5:10 pm

thats pretty impressive!

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Now that is clever!

Massoth eat your heart out!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Maybe Massoth should have done a bender for track code 250 first...
If they have done such, I might have bought it.

Though Peco shall be interested, that shall publicize their track !
I also think Peco is not really promoting this track, no accessories (crossings), shorting problems with LGB skates and point not very nicely designed (not quite circular). I shall issue a detailed page about their track, as long as other stuff soon.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 8:03 pm

Pierre...You are indeed an entreprising and imaginative engineer.
This is the latest in some impressive equipment and we are priviledged to see it first.

We saw too the 'magic box' at the big weekend. cyclops

There are railbenders for code 250 track and people who make a whole range of accessories for it.
Try Llagas creek.

I have used code 250 Peco track for many years and I am satisfied with it generally but then I don't run digitalogical trains.
Yes the points could be better but it is easy to make you own in this rail.

I have modified an Aristocraft single rail bender to curve code 250 rail. I simple took the bending rollers off and lathe turned an extra groove in them to accomodate the smaller rail profile.
Not perfect but adequate. However I wouldn't mind trying out your machine one day please! Laughing
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 8:26 pm

If I remember correctly GRS at Princes Risborough do a very good adjustable rail bender and can supply with rollers suitable for any of the major rail supplier tracks including SM45.

Not cheap, I guess about 50Euros, but very good.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:00 pm

David Grantham wrote:
If I remember correctly GRS at Princes Risborough do a very good adjustable rail bender and can supply with rollers suitable for any of the major rail supplier tracks including SM45.

Not cheap, I guess about 50Euros, but very good.

That's cheap compared with Massoth at 240 euros
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Yes, but what is proposed by llagas, GRS, etc. are rail benders, not track benders, which make a lot of difference in term of ease of use. The only track bender I know is Train-Li, which is a little pricier than Massoth (~250 Euros).
Really, that is very easy to use. I have made a small film, but films needs space and bandwidth.
What is lacking in my design is some retaining flange which shall go below the rail head, but to do that I needs a lathe. This is only needed on the two center wheels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: The plans   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 8:51 pm

As promised, the plans of the OakBender.
The image links to a complete pdf file (hosted on my site) with added tips how to build this device.

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Oakben10
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 pm

That's pretty impressive Pierre.

I think your skills are a liittle lost on our small forum although we are pleased and priveledged to see them.
You should consider a wider audience (as well as here).

The editor of Gardenrail magazine Tag Gorton would be intereted in this project I'm sure.
And you get paid for it!
Gardenrail submissions
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 5:24 am

Felicitations Pierre on a brilliant and potentially money saving project!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:20 am

Here a draw with an idea to make it adjustable.

You take the same principle inside for for the bending, with a possibility to make it adjustable.

On the side of the profile i forgot to had on the draw, you have 2 aluminium corner to make it more rigid.

The lock is very simple, didn't think of something else at the moment.

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Bender10
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm

If you insert inside the principle of your bending jig, you make it adjustable, the drawing is a bit to long, because you just need a small movement to get another angle.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender   Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender Empty

Back to top Go down

Oak, rollers and Silvernickel – the Oakbender
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Tips and advice-
Jump to: