Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Articles.................

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Articles................. Empty
PostSubject: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Evening All,
Just wondered if we were going to have some sort of repository for any articles we might write?
At present, I am fighting with relay circuits with which to control my railway automatically....great fun.
I thought I would like to share some(all) of the little nuances with these little fellas that I have found.

Love the Emoticons BTW... this evening I shall mostly be using this one afro
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 pm

What do you have in mind excatly John, a sort of library or a seperate section/heading for something like electronics?

I intend eventually to copy and sore in a secure yet accessible place written articles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Hello Boss...Yes a Library of sorts......perhaps something that could be built up over time...erm..Like a sophisticated FAQ perchance? Not specifically for electronics... I mean the possibilities are endless...The operation of live steam(or diesel electric) springs to mind! I have learnt a lot about relays for example, using my (British)railway signalling experiences. I just thought you all might be interested.....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 pm

I will have a think John about how best to arrange it but a section of FAQs or Tips and Tricks could be a good idea.

We like relays here, especially me from my old GPO/BT days.

Oh please don't call me boss. (that's reserved for another forum Embarassed ) and Boss in French means a lump or hump. (Le Bossu de Notre Dame.....)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 am

Admin wrote:
...Oh please don't call me boss. ........

Embarassed Blimey. Sorry, I dont know what I was thinking about. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:04 am

Don't worry, John. There are no bosses here or....rather you are all bosses.
You can all moderate each other's posts.

Tell us more about your relay work.
I would like to know how to build a simple analague shuttle/auto reverse system for end to end or branchline operation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Well..where to start. I planned my railway with 1:22.5 trains in mind. First, I bought some Bachmann 4-6-0s and thought they were great.... I've still got them. I was then seduced by the smell of hydraulic oil, as I have been in real life, (see BR(W) class 35 or 52) and bought a few V52s from LGB...Love em. Theeeennnn..., in yet another twist, I bought some Bachmann 2-8-0s....

A lot of folks slag Bachmann stuff off as cheap tat, well, stuff 'em, they are perfectly fine machines. I'm not sending my credit card into apperplexy. The only problem I have had with Bachmann kit was the 4-6-0s not picking the juice up very well. My rails are cleaned twice a year with a vinegar solution, so the 4-6-0s struggled with the mucky track. I stuck batteries in the tender, with a simple control devised mainly by a certain Mr. Carl Hibbs, problem solved.

Anyway, the 1:20.3 2-8-0s are BIG...so there isn't room for them to pass each other on my two track 1:22.5 railway.

So I hatched a plan. I am in the process of altering the railway to suit the bigger traction. I can still have two trains running but not at once. I will control them with relays. There are two areas of conflict on the layout, a flat crossing and a section of single line. As each train leaves the conflict point it sets up the route for the train going the opposite way. If a train is ready to enter the crossing or the single track section, it is held until the opposing tain is clear.

Heady stuff(for me). But as usual, if you sit and think about the problem, and break it down into little bits, the answer comes sooner or later. Ive got wiring diagrams and stuff but thats for another day, when I get it working.
Carl, I would imagine that a shuttle could be effected with one relay. I will draw a circuit tommorrow and put it on here....although I suspect you already know the answer Smile
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Good explanation john but can you tell me, how does one train 'setup' the route for the next train! This is a subject of which I know nothing!! (and whats this simple control Carl devised, I could certainly do with that!!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:24 pm

Mikey,

I wrote an article on G.S.M. (with appropriate credits)

battery

The circuit diagram isnt brilliant but I'm sure Carl will fill in the gaps Smile
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:30 pm

If you put a magnet on the underside of the Loco and have reed switches on the track as someone said ‘the possibilities are endless’ and only restricted by your imagination.

Peter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Too right Peter.

But, just to be awkward, I put the magnet on the brake van Laughing

afro
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:52 pm

I'll have a look at that article on GSM later, thanks.
A bit of admin and housekeeping to do first. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:15 am

John wrote:
Too right Peter.

But, just to be awkward, I put the magnet on the brake van Laughing

afro

That is not being awkward, it’s just you prefer to do things later rather than sooner. Exclamation Exclamation

Peter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Articles.................   Articles................. Empty

Back to top Go down

Articles.................
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Tips and advice-
Jump to: