Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Angouleme

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
philkelly

philkelly

Angouleme Empty
PostSubject: Angouleme   Angouleme EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 10:20 am

I have always been fascinated by Angouleme: four companies (PO, Etat, CFD, EC). A complicated Shocked layout and quite a lot left of the metre guage, even in the middle of town...

To start, here is the map (from Henri Domengie's Les Petits Trains de Jadis Vol 7 Sud-Ouest de France - such a shame that these books are now out of print.

Angouleme Angoulememap

Bold lines are metre gauge, thin lines standard gauge, hatched lines the town tramways. Angouleme SNCF station is the PO station: where the Etat station was is now flats and shops.

This is a train leaving the Etat station northbound (from my postcard collection) The sheds on the left are the PO goods sheds. The Etat line had its own tunnel under the town (which as most of you will know is on a steep hill). This tunnel is now a road tunnel. After 1934, the Economiques des Charentes line also used this tunnel.

Angouleme EtatTrain

But before then, the EC's station (Angouleme-Ville) was on a deck over the start of this tunnel: the line then went through the flank of the town hill in its own tunnel, crossed the PO line on a bridge, and meandered through the streets. After severe WW2 bombing, the Chemins de Fer Departmentaux station (formerly between the Etat and PO stations) was destroyed and they used Angouleme-Ville EC (but not the EC tunnel). This photo from Domengie is from that time.

Angouleme Tunnelmouththen

That tunnel mouth is still there: this my pic from about 1992.

Angouleme Tunnelmouth1992

The location is just about where the "E" of "EC Ang-Ville" is on the map.

Looking south from the EC station, this is an old view of the Etat station and the "deck" (also from Domengie)

Angouleme ECStation

This was the view in 1992 - block of flats on right on deck, flats in background on Etat station site, but left flank wall clearly recognisable.

Angouleme ECstationview1992

Looking north from the PO (now SNCF) station, the EC bridge can be seen crossing the main line (my postcard collection).

Angouleme Viewnorththen

That's not there anymore - this is a similar view in 1992.

Angouleme Viewnorth1990

However, the metre gauge is still remembered:

Angouleme AncienneRue

Angouleme RueduTunnel

I am gradually scanning postcards and my (pre-digital) pics of metre gauge remains in the Charentes and Vienne - so more will appear (eventually!)

Hope you like it

Phil
Back to top Go down

Angouleme Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angouleme   Angouleme EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 10:28 am

I do I do love it and if the current Mrs GeoffW can be persuaded of the shopping potential of Angouleme a visit may be on the cards

G
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Angouleme Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angouleme   Angouleme EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:16 pm

yes i have covered the story of Angouleme and its stations and the story of the illegal tunnel on this forum before, LOL . but its always nice to see it again Phil, especially in more detail.

Mikley
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Angouleme Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angouleme   Angouleme EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 4:10 pm

GeoffW wrote:
I do I do love it and if the current Mrs GeoffW can be persuaded of the shopping potential of Angouleme a visit may be on the cards

G

And Geoff and Celia, if you do viisit you absolutely must pay us a visit as we are only 35 minutes away !
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
GWhizz

GWhizz

Angouleme Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angouleme   Angouleme EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Phil

Do these posts mean you are now over here?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
philkelly

philkelly

Angouleme Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angouleme   Angouleme EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 4:41 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Phil

Do these posts mean you are now over here?

Brian
Unfortunately not yet: arriving next Weds pm and will call you Thurs. My collection is in England and I am getting myself in the mood.

Phil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Angouleme Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angouleme   Angouleme Empty

Back to top Go down

Angouleme
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Full size 1:1 trains-
Jump to: