Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Today on the CFHC

Go down 
+15
KleineDicke
Mike B
tram47
philkelly
mike
pjti
Bearcastle
Admin
French Chuffed
fm12
Paul Stainz Holt
clive_t
Carl Hibbs
mikeyh
GWhizz
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Bearcastle

Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:08 pm

Not yet Sad it was a metaphore but i will breathe next to one of my diesel Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 10:00 am

Great shots Brian.
I particularly like the pic with the buildings in the background, not sure why, but it hits the spot. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm

What a Winter!!

Today was the first day since the snows that I was able to spend any real time on the railway!

There have been a catalogue of rebuilding and repairs due to wind and wet...

Repairing and replacing the roof on no less than three buildings.

Rebuilding the stonewall adjacent to the line, it looked like a real life landslip.

Drying out and rewiring three point motors.

Replacing building signs and the tram signs.

I still can't get the lights working in the water mill and chateau, I think the wires have corroded under concrete.

Anyway great day today - ran every piece of rolling stock and all OK.

All point motors and DCC work fine.

The new 2.4 Ghz rc for the Edrig is brilliant - glitch free and the 50mm Aerial just pokes out the cab so no more fancy wiring to the cab roof!

So bring on the visitors, I think I'm ready for you now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Glad all is ok down south.

Today was the first decent day of the year. In fact the first decent day since about October last year so I was hoping you would get out in the spring sun.

Any pics...without the Russian hat and gloves. Laughing

Still the winter snow did make some great steam shots.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Good news that most things are now working Brian. Looking forward to pictures

mikey
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 pm

comme pour tous , du travail en perspective !!!!!! as for all, work in perspective
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 6:08 pm

I haven't been online much this year or done much on the railway as I've been busy doing this ....

Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Img_9310

.... fixing a new floor in our Fermette. It should be finished soon bounce
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Is this for an indoor layout?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 7:00 pm

You're not far wrong Clive.

This was the home of my first dabblings in G, setting up an indoor layout on some distinctly dodgy, woodworm ridden floorboards. At different times both my son and I went through and severely scratched ourselves in the process, hence the need for new flooring.

Caroline also uses part of it to store winter hay for the equines!

This upstairs room can still house my indoor test track, but the real motivation is to accomodate visitors, we are converting this building into a self contained Gite, we have only two bedrooms in the main house, and this room is an ideal overflow for when the family arrive en masse! The other rooms on the ground floor are a stable and garage.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptySun May 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi chaps, realised I hadn't done an update for a while, so enjoying 30 degree heat today and blue skies, decided to take a few pics....

Firstly the new crash barrier next to the pond to prevent a recurrence of the Edrig submersion episode
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Crash_10

I've also concreted a base for a proposed "shed" to house rolling stock, controllers, wine, beer etc. Though currently due to finances just a tent to cover it this year!
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Tent10

My "Newquida" tankers having been left out all winter now look authentically weathered
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Tanker10

Unfortunately the passengers at La Courriere are still waiting for their train
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Passen10

But the goods shed is movong stock well
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Goods_10

In a further development a new car park has been created at La Courriere, currently occupied by the Jaguar owners club over from the UK
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Car_pa10

But the passengers still have to cross by the signal box to reach the station. Gabriel gives rides to tourists in his horse and cart
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Signal10

One further development, my LGB Central Station went kaput last week, so for the timebeing I'm back in the world of analogue and having to operate my points by hand - unheard of Mad
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptySun May 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Another great set of pics there Brian, looks like you had some beautiful weather there today. I am curious though, about the stone buildings in the background of your second photo - they appear to have sloping walls! Why would that be, if it's not an optical illusion? scratch
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptySun May 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Glad to hear from you Brian and impressed with the state of the railway. The concrete base is serious and that must of been a lot of work to do. That's my next purchase...a cement mixer but then she'll twig there's big railway development about to happen.

Nice new tent too to replace the old orange 'Glastonbury' model.... Wink
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 10:01 am

clive_t wrote:
Another great set of pics there Brian, looks like you had some beautiful weather there today. I am curious though, about the stone buildings in the background of your second photo - they appear to have sloping walls! Why would that be, if it's not an optical illusion? scratch

We've been enjoying a particularly good spell of weather, but only two weeks ago we had a cold snap, lost all our tomato plants and had to resort to lighting the log burner again two months after it was supposedly decomissioned for the summer!

I hadn't noticed how distorted the wall looked in the shot, it's due to the extreme wide angle 10mm lens I was using, in reality it's vertical, well at least as vertical as any wall on a two hundred year old stone building can be!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyMon May 24, 2010 10:05 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Glad to hear from you Brian and impressed with the state of the railway. The concrete base is serious and that must of been a lot of work to do. That's my next purchase...a cement mixer but then she'll twig there's big railway development about to happen.

Nice new tent too to replace the old orange 'Glastonbury' model.... Wink

Shame you're not closer Carl! I have a high capacity petrol mixer that does about four barrowloads each mix. It is road legal and towable but I think Normandy is a bit far?

I've still got the "Glastonbury" tent and it's still available for CGT open days if required cheers
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi

Just to update you and a word of advice.

You may have read that my LGB Central; Station went u/s recently.

Having contacted LGB Germany they advised shipping direct to MASSOTH Germany for repair.

I received excellent service, they spoke English on the phone and turned round the repair in under a week.

I have heard that sending via local LGB agents in the UK or France takes at least five times as long! So heaven forbid your Central Station goes down - you know what to do?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Busy times on the CFHC, we've been hosting weekly open days for tourists so little time spent on development,,,,

HOWEVER.....

We have ballasted the track with a wood ash / cement mixture a la Mikey
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Ballas10

Put a cable car across the lake
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Cable_10

Due to a lucky 1 euro purchase at a local vide grenier have a few Schleich horses
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Horses10

Despite employing a diver for clearance operations Frogs still infest the lake
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Diver10

The horses get everywhere - even the ruins of the Abbey
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Perche10

A small stone chapel was unearthed
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Church10

And new houses in the village
Today on the CFHC - Page 9 House10
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Good progress there, Brian. That house does look the part. Cool
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Good use of an old agglo block as a ruin. Smile

The architecture is obviously very local and looks the part. The cross on the stone is something I've not seen round here but a lot down south and in Corsica.

Is that building new?

Schliech horses for 1 euro...... affraid My daughter fleeced me 17€ for ONE the other day!
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Nice houses.
Underground ones can be very cool in summer and warm in winter, but that entrance certainly needs redesigning! affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 6:18 am

All looking good Brian!

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 8:42 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Good use of an old agglo block as a ruin. Smile

The architecture is obviously very local and looks the part. The cross on the stone is something I've not seen round here but a lot down south and in Corsica.

Is that building new?

Schliech horses for 1 euro...... affraid My daughter fleeced me 17€ for ONE the other day!

The old agglo block was holding down some corrugated iron sheeting over a neighbour's water tank. One day it struck me that it looked like a ruin so it was swapped for a large rock.

The building is newly constructed by me, but from pre-aged ply sheeting hence the mould - reflective of many actual buildings in this area. I did post the construction methods in an earlier thread.

Better still for my one euro there were a dozen other resin model horses in the bag like the "percheron" perched in front of the "abbey". If I had Clive's kills I'd convert a few to be grazing as they're all rather posed on their resin mounts.

The same vide-grenier also provided a hundred copies of "La Vie du Rail" a weekly newspaper for the French Rail industry in the late 50's early sixties for a tenner. Really fascinating stuff about the time of electrification so lots of shots of steam loco's hauling electric catenary into place. I will start a seperate thread and try and scan some pics and articles. If anyone is after any particular info from the period, PM me and I'll see what I can find. Bizarre for instance seeing colour pics and an article in French about the Snowdon railway. And numerous mentions about the dieselisation of British Rail, having a laugh at the time I suspect!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 am

GWhizz wrote:

Better still for my one euro there were a dozen other resin model horses in the bag like the "percheron" perched in front of the "abbey". If I had Clive's kills I'd convert a few to be grazing as they're all rather posed on their resin mounts.
Brian, I would have thought it was worth a gamble given their relatively low cost? I think if I was going to try it, I'd choose the grey nag in the 'field' with the darker horse that's rearing up... as it looks to me like it's already stretching its head forward. Just cut the head off at the shoulders and reposition it so that the muzzle is close to the ground. Trim the sharp angles away, maybe a couple of lengths of copper wire inserted into the neck and the body to hold the pose, then infill with some white/grey Milliput. Obviously some reference pics of grazing horses will help to give you the idea of the body sculpture around the neck/shoulders.

I think it's worth a go! Go on, you know you want to... Cool
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:54 am

'La Vie du Rail' is a gem.

If you come across any articles about old French metre gauge lines and railcars I would be very interested.

That's a bit bizarre talkiing about the Percheron horses as I took my daughter last week to see them at the
Haras du Pin, the French national stud.

Here's a team of them.

Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Perche10

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
'La Vie du Rail' is a gem.

If you come across any articles about old French metre gauge lines and railcars I would be very interested.

That's a bit bizarre talkiing about the Percheron horses as I took my daughter last week to see them at the
Haras du Pin, the French national stud.

I think I'd better bring the whole set to Paris for the Expo. Every issue has "Photo's Demandee" by readers, of old meter gauge steam and trams. There are many feautures on railcars including the "scenic" double deckers.

As for Percherons our neighbour breeds them, although the mares of late have been producing Mule foals as apparently there's a strong market for them in France!

Last edited by GWhizz on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:10 pm

clive_t wrote:
GWhizz wrote:

Brian, I would have thought it was worth a gamble given their relatively low cost? I think if I was going to try it, I'd choose the grey nag in the 'field' with the darker horse that's rearing up... as it looks to me like it's already stretching its head forward. Just cut the head off at the shoulders and reposition it so that the muzzle is close to the ground. Trim the sharp angles away, maybe a couple of lengths of copper wire inserted into the neck and the body to hold the pose, then infill with some white/grey Milliput. Obviously some reference pics of grazing horses will help to give you the idea of the body sculpture around the neck/shoulders.

I think it's worth a go! Go on, you know you want to... Cool

Unfortunately the "grey nag" is a dead ringer for Caroline's Portuguese Cruzado (Arab cross) and any thoughts of chopping its head off, even in "maquette" form is out of the question! affraid

Besides the two Schleich horses are too valuable to mutilate!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 2:28 pm

GWhizz wrote:

Unfortunately the "grey nag" is a dead ringer for Caroline's Portuguese Cruzado (Arab cross) and any thoughts of chopping its head off, even in "maquette" form is out of the question!

Besides the two Schleich horses are too valuable to mutilate!

You'd have my daughter to contend with too. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today on the CFHC   Today on the CFHC - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Today on the CFHC
Page 9 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next