Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Motorbikes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pjti

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Can anyone remember 5 star ? oh those halycon days of 11.5 to 1 pistons , and the smell mmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm

pjti wrote:
Can anyone remember 5 star ? oh those halycon days of 11.5 to 1 pistons , and the smell mmmmmmmmm

Outed Patrick you must be a motorbike man.
With its factory skimmed head my 1972 commando interstate used to run at 10 to 1,but with a standard head fitted and atlas convex/concave? pistons fitted,shes now about 8 to 1.The bike is also fitted with a 850 cam,more overlap but less lift,she runs pretty well, now not like her rider.
5 star is still available at certain outlets in the UK.

Van
Back to top Go down
pjti

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 2:41 pm

yep fraid so, I had a TR6R then aTrident for a short while (10.5 - 1) but alas it was a bit too heavy for me. My mate ran the HC in his T120 / Ariel special- humungus pistons , it never stayed to gether very long LOL. 5* tasted so much nicer too - we constantly ran out and had to siphon, ahhhhhhh - 17 - 21 yrs old the golden years then women spoilt it all.

Gotta R90s and a 350 single Duke ( and a 900SD in bits) but alas I aint fit enough or brave enough to ride these days - and my 5 yr old leathers have shrunk drastically.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 2:47 pm

5 star? I thought you were referring to that crappy disco group. Us Mods never liked those greasy motos!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Ha don't make me laugh - anyone remember the Rafferty Newman Wildcat conversion ?
Back to top Go down
pjti

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Two Corks and a pack of Araldite !!!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Patrick you've lost me now Question

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 5:02 pm

mikeyh wrote:

Mikey

Perhaps like me you were never a biker?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Very true Brian. i've never ridden on a motorbike in my life (pillion inc.). Mind you i'd like to at least once.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Sorry maybe it was a bit to cryptic .

Mods rode Lamby's and to some extent vespa's. Some of my "mates" had Lamby's and to tune em they started off with a phase one Rafferty Newman conversion. I think it was 3 quid or so, anyway it was the aforementioned 2 corks and some Araldite.

The idea was that you mixed the Araldite, spread it over the corks and stuffed the corks into holes in the crank web - thus increasing crankcase compression and a performance boost to boot.

It was just funny I suppose. I think you could do it to Bantams as well, nasty things them - you could use them for target practice.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Gotcha. be good if we could do that with the steamers!. all my mates had Vespas until the Lambretta 200 came out.Used to love all the chrome and headlights. oh and the punch-ups at Margate. tottenham Royal for ever!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 pm

pjti wrote:
Two Corks and a pack of Araldite !!!

If I remember correctly was it G.Todd who sold the same setup to tune bantams.

Had quite afew bikes upto moving overhere,but kept my Yamaha xjr1300sp had it from new,my Norton Commando had her since 1974 and two Royal Enfields.
Also had a collection of stationary engines,Nationals, Petters,Blackstones,Fowlers,Mclarens and others.But thats another story.

Van
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 pm

GWhizz wrote:
mikeyh wrote:

Mikey

Perhaps like me you were never a biker?

In the sixties we were rockers,back then if a girl was friendly in a very friendly way,she could at least expect to have some oil or grease on her tights by the time you had dropped her off at the end of her street.
By the same token as I hate the word trucker,I`m a lorry driver,so the word biker gets short shrift,I`m a motorcyclist.

Van
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:05 am

pjti wrote:
Sorry maybe it was a bit to cryptic .

Mods rode Lamby's and to some extent vespa's. Some of my "mates" had Lamby's and to tune em they started off with a phase one Rafferty Newman conversion. I think it was 3 quid or so, anyway it was the aforementioned 2 corks and some Araldite.

The idea was that you mixed the Araldite, spread it over the corks and stuffed the corks into holes in the crank web - thus increasing crankcase compression and a performance boost to boot.

It was just funny I suppose. I think you could do it to Bantams as well, nasty things them - you could use them for target practice.

The only motorcycle(note the terminology Van) I ever owned or rode was a 125cc BSA Bantam, perhaps that's what put me off motorcycling (Van) forever!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Talking of the smell, it's Manx Grand Prix week - and a lot of the classic lads (and lass) still use castrol R - it's the best!

If only I could can it and export it...... Laughing

Neil
Back to top Go down
pjti

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 7:51 pm

hey Neil hows it going ?

Do people still tip castor oil in the fuel tank to smell like racers ? have you ever tried it in/on your steamies LOL, actually it would be good in those lectric room deodorisers too.

Does Castor oil make good smoke oil - who will be first to try it ? Strange to think that the humble castor plant can be both pleasurable (R smells) and deadly (Ricin) wouldn't rate yer chances after sniffing that stuff.

Glad you dropped by - I suppose you are sort of Continental 'lol!'
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 am

[quote="pjti"]
Do people still tip castor oil in the fuel tank to smell like racers ?

Back in the mid sixties,us lads that knocked about around Sherburn in Elmet,used to put some in the petrol tank.To get a stronger smell we used bigger doses,but as everyone knows carburettor jets started to block up.Nearly everyone at the time were riding late fifties early sixties bikes and mostly fitted with Amal Monobloc carbs,so if nothing else we became experts at roadside carb stripping.The fad of adding Castrol R among the group of lads I knocked about with lasted about six months,if we needed a fix it was a rideout to either Cadwell park or Mallory park.

Van stainzless and hoping it stays cool today,so that I can get some work done outside.
Back to top Go down

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Patrick!!

Yup, they still add it, esp at TT or MGP week!!

Sherburn!! Have some pals live near there, Van - usually go to the 'new' place once a year or so too - the cafe moved out of town!

NHN - with a Stainz somewhere.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Motorbikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motorbikes   Motorbikes Empty

Back to top Go down

Motorbikes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: