Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Year in Retrospect

Go down 
+5
pjti
mikeyh
clive_t
Montblanc
GWhizz
9 posters
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

GWhizz

A Year in Retrospect Empty
PostSubject: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 8:32 am

It's just past a year since I made the momentous, earth shattering, foolish perhaps? first purchase of a G Gauge loco on Ebay.

This was followed by a rapid sale of my O gauge rolling stock to fund the "G" disease.

Looking back on the year with the benefit of hindsight there are more than a few things that I wish I'd done differently...

* Discovered the various Forums before I got too far into the hobby (especially this one).
* Not bothered buying secondhand track
* Used nickel silver rather than brass rail
* Been scrupulous about track gradient and getting at least one loop absolutely level
* Realised that Live Steam was an option in this gauge
* Splashed out on a Dimax rather than MTS Central Station ( I will upgrade)
* Decided on a specific theme rather than ad hoc purchase of LGB stock
* Had the opportunity to visit other peoples railways before starting my own
* Not built my line under trees, particularly apple trees with falling fruit.

But these regrets are but a few compared with the pleasure of getting involved in Garden Railways - a pleasure which I hope will continue for many years to come.

I wonder what regrets others have had looking back on their own invovement with the hobby?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Montblanc

PostSubject: REGRETS   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:12 am

• Not having installed rail joiners everywhere from the beginning.
• Having purchased a Bachmann product.
• Not having purchased several LGB items when they were still available (rack e-lok, Mallet…)
• Not having saved enough money for the hobby for the last ten years !!!

Jean-Pierre
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 am

"Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention..." actually, that would make a good line for a song lyric I think

I think the biggest regret I have is not getting into the hobby a damned sight sooner - I got into it back in 2002-ish, as prices of the kit were starting to climb.

In terms of what I currently have, my main regrets are:

1. Not paying more attention to supplying power for lighting around the line - for buildings and so on.

2. Not clamping/joining the rail sections better to keep the electrical connection problems down to a minimum - that problem plagues me on a regular basis even now.

3. I wish I had space for more stock too, but that's just being greedy I guess!

There was a time when I was envious of people with large gardens; my perception was that bigger garden = better railway. However, as I have been fortunate enough to see several beautiful layouts down the years, some of those in gardens smaller than mine, I have been almost fully cured of that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:55 am

I'm going to try and be positive about this;
1 Glad i spent 6 months thinking about it
2 glad i decided not to use all of our available space!
3 Glad i didnt build under the walnut trees
4 Pleased we built a tramway 'cos tight bends were OK
5 Pleased I bought 95 per cent track from ebay
6 Glad we gave ourselves the challenge of an historical period.

Finally I would say that if i had 5ooo euros i didnt need and then bought everything railway needed. i wouldnt still be in this hobby. no challenge, no fun (for me)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 pm

My regret is that after just over a year I still don't have a clue about where/what/how to lay some track.

Next I wish that I could actually finish a job/project

Then I still need to make up my mind over era/power/country.

I have spent far too much money on something that has not come to fruition.

I have no skills to plan/construct/implement.

I have gained about 1.5 stone

Positive aspect - I stopped smoking and my baby has just got into Nottingham University.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:20 pm

Hmm.........

No regrets as such.
I spent a year indoors in 2006 before I ventured outdoors.
By the time I went out in the garden in December of 2006, I had read loads in various forums and also asked lots of questions, and my mates in this area taught me a lot - either by setting a good example or answering my questions.

I must admit, I had worries about getting my precious stock "dirty" Rolling Eyes
Happy in general with my lot.

For the future - adding robust details to various small parts of the line to do.

Maybe a live steamer for my 50th in January ?
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 pm

No regrets as such again. This is my second garden railway.
I was concerned about the size to do it, lots of space is a much of a problem at a small space.
I look at it as an ongoing construction project it has so far taken two years with a year before thinking and planning.
It will probably be another year before the basic structure is completed, but at least trains are now running after some 3 years on the shelf.
Then hopefully I will be fiddling with it for a good few years.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:18 pm

Four years ago I swore I would do it on my own, dipping in to websites, reading Garden Rail and joining the G Scale Society. All strictly one way - what help was there for me? Always wanted a garden railway in France that would look French - before that, I spent lots of time reading French modellers' mags (if it ain't HO and strictly prototypical, forget it!) reading about French local railways and looking for the remains. Started my railway. Learned to install and programme chips. Looked at the other channel and decided that I preferred the information to the people. Found Carl's website and his bits on Troy's Trams. Joined CGT and felt at home. In the past twelve months, I've seen Carl at two exhibitions: took the plunge and went to Geoff's weekend; visited Brian and hosted Brian and Van at my place. I am looking forward to the next twelve months very much...Je ne regrette rien!

Phil
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 12:07 am

Not starting my railway during the:

Coldest winter....

...and wettest year.

In recent Tennessee history.

Also do not start a railway when the Mrs. throws a major house remodelling project and the purchase of a new* Honda RA1 Odyssey (Shuttle to you all in Europe) car.

* new = 14 years and 140K miles to sort out Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Year in Retrospect   A Year in Retrospect Empty

Back to top Go down

A Year in Retrospect
Page 1 of 1