Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

House and railway for sale

Go down 
+14
bruce
Spule 4
philkelly
KleineDicke
David Grantham
pjti
Paul Stainz Holt
clive_t
French Chuffed
fm12
GWhizz
Bearcastle
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 pm

mikeyh wrote:
This is Elzo our registered stallion donkey.
He's just serviced his first Jenny. 50 euros stud fee (I'd have done it for much less, she was a babe!!)

Mikey

I nearly fell on the floor laughing, how do you get tea out of a keyboard lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 1:19 pm

This look similar to what I have done in the last year Carl. You will need to work out how to keep the grass down once it starts coming up! My lawn tractor takes about 5 hours to cover the lot. House and railway for sale - Page 4 448877

Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a 1980s 4 bed detached in rural village in East Sussex with decent garden and former garden railway trackbed in it ....................
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Sad

A sad day demolishing the viaduct.

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Nov210

Just a big space now. The new people want some of the track left but they also wanted the garden opening up with no obstruction.
House and railway for sale - Page 4 Nov310
The other side of the viaduct and bridge will go this week.

These mossy tracks will remain however.
House and railway for sale - Page 4 Nov110

I will recover about 50 metres of track and 7 points which will be enough for a small circuit at the new place.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:27 pm

A sad sight, but if it gets resurrected at the new place then that's something to look forward to
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 10:45 pm

Wow, nice bit of land and a very nice house Carl. It was a shame to see the viaduct broken up, almost looking prototypical in its destruction.

mikeyh wrote:
Wish i had a euro for every person i know, who having bought a house with a nice bit of land, then bought a landrover! Green wellies and barbour jacket to follow? Hehe.
Personally I think they may be reliable but are the most uncomfortable vehicle ever designed!!

Mikey

It is worse in the US, as we can also throw Jeeps, Chevrolet Suburbans, Ford Explorers, etc. in to the mix. We just bought a Toyota Camry estate instead, more comfortable and more room.

House and railway for sale - Page 4 430999980_94f003fa3d

Unfortunately, at 13 years of age, and 240,000 miles con rod #4 decided to leave the engine via three different holes! bom
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 am

A sad sight, Carl. I've been there and it's dismal; you have my sympathies. Good luck with the new opportunity...

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Abandonment%202%20%28Small%29
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 pm

mikeyh wrote:
He's just serviced his first Jenny. 50 euros stud fee (I'd have done it for much less, she was a babe!!)

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Family031

Mikey

Mike

Caro has spotted this and wonders if you offer a discount for fellow CGT members Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 2:16 am

GWhizz wrote:
mikeyh wrote:

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Family031

Mikey

Mike

Caro has spotted this and wonders if you offer a discount for fellow CGT members Razz

Brian,

I doubt Elzo would find CGT members attractive.

cheers,
Scot O.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:17 pm

More demolition today. Sad

This was the single track viaduct section crossing the garden and didn't want to budge at first.

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Nov410

Some of the recovered Peco track waiting to be boxed up. This had been down between 4 and 5 years and will hopefully be used again soon. Smile

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Nov510

And seeing as it's armistice day here I shall leave you with this.

House and railway for sale - Page 4 Nov610

Lest one should forget the human sacrifice.......in building garden railway. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Its a sad time Carl, but the phoenix shall rise from the ashes bom

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Just come back from Normandy having been with the financiers and the banks.

French banks want to lend money but they don't do it readily!

Sit down interviews with the manager and chief mortgage lender (pret immobilier).

Very different from the UK.

Came away relatively unscathed, just a few wobbly signatures and we got quite a good deal considering I don't work to a fixed contract and I'm English.

So we will have have 11 days mandatory on receipt of the final paperwork and after that it's 'allez au Notaire' and fill up them boxes.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 9:15 am

It sounds as though your move has been a relatively smooth process Carl. Smile
Did the French banks come through the recent financial turmoil in decent shape, or were they as
incompetent as the ones in the US and UK ?
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 11:31 am

It's not too bad at the moment Paul, thanks.

But there is a lot of negotiating and the strict observance of proceedure. It could easily fail at any moment because of a bureaucratic issue.

The French financial system was often ridiculed in the past (even by me....) for being archaic in its attitude to credit.

Who's laughing now....?

There has been a lot more protection and restriction (responsible lending???) here and as a result people in general use credit much less than in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Things have changed here in the US.

They are actually looking over the loans, the brother in law of the builder cannot do the apprasial, some beancounter looks over the entire sale, etc. Takes about a month for anyone serious to close on a house, no more 125% of inflated apprasied value loans to any mouthbreather with two months employment history.

One extreme to the other.

However, I looked to refinance what was left of my 20 year fixed loan, rolling it into a 15 or ten year fixed. Due to the short term, my insisting that the loan will not be sold (I can tell you why Countrywide went under) and the small amount I owe (50% of value), no one is really interested..... Sad
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 12:58 pm

In fact a loan in France is base on your income you cannot take a loan that engaged more than 33% of your annual income. And most of the rate are fixed (it's always possible to have an unfixe rate, but it 's not the majority). And you add to add some insurance (lot's).

That's the system for the major loan (house, car), there's some regulation for the credit card loan from shop, but before the crisis the bank where not really controlling it, now it's start to change.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:17 pm

Apologies for the thread drift Carl, but the UK banks are reputedly going to be bailed out by us, the taxpayer to the sum of £1.5 Trillion (yes trillion) !!

It is unbelievable that groups of supposedly intelligent people that run these institutions can balls up in such truly spectacular fashion.

"Lead by example" goes the saying..................what sort of nation will the UK be in another 10 years ?
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 3:24 am

Thread drift? This thread went off course days ago.

Anyway, in the US, the main cause of the financial meltdown was the social engineering the congress and others were forcing on the mortgage market. Institutions were being strong armed to lend to many who wouldn't normally qualify, in the name of "fairness" or "equality", often with pretty creative and unrealistic loan terms. When the real world mortgage terms kicked in and the mortgagees couldn't meet their obligations, foreclosures abounded. The real estate market, which had been crazy inflated in many locales, also came back to earth, so these foreclosed properties weren't worth what the banks had in them, and the snowball started snowballing. I wish I could say they learned their lesson, but they haven'tr. Fannie Mae (the US Gov't owned home lender) is still pulling shenanigans to make its books look better and I am again hearing offers to refinance for more than 100% of one's property value. Go figure. And don't get me started on banks' credit card practices or our government's goofy attempts to control them.

Rant over. Glad everything's progressing well for you , Carl. Can't wait to see the tramway.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 11:30 am

No apologies needed for thread drift. It'll come back to trains eventually. pirat

When I moved to France permanently nearly 7 years ago now and became immersed in the social-financial system I was mockingly frustrated at the lethargy involved in obtaining relatively minor credit and general bank transactions.

As Laurent pointed out that credit has always been controlled here within fixed percentage capping of disposable income.

I thought it all very twee and 70's Britain to queue in the banks for a new cheque book or to sit down formally with the manager to discuss personal finances.

The French government and social system is historically one of protection in many aspects.

I'm quite grateful now that they have hung on to it otherwise there would have been spiralling credit and serious debt here although things are moving slowly towards more competition and privatisation.

As the financial dust is just starting to descend on the house transactions I may be able to seriously consider this 'tramway' a bit more.

But.....of course there are other things to buy.

As already mentioned 1 acre of land needs a tractor, plus my cheap electric urban garden tools will be useless down the bottom of the estate so a new set of petrol powered tools is required.

All to be paid for by cash of course. Wink

Again my daughter had an idea...."Why don't you make the tractor go on the railway track."
Now there's a thought..... Idea
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 pm

dont worry too much Carl. We've got 1 1/2 acres of flat grassland. In 9 years I've gone through three ride on mowers (husq'varnas; good makes) none of them gave as good a cut as our present mower, a push along thermique. Its a great way of exercising and i spread the cutting over two days. ~the only thing that cuts closer are sheep!. We found that you have to do something with the land otherwise its a pointless exercise,so planting trees , flower beds, and veggie patches are useful. Our railway has started off small but now we are starting to cover the lot with a second elevated line (long project though)

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 12:47 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Our railway has started off small but now we are starting to cover the lot with a second elevated line (long project though)

mikey

That's what I like to hear....and see. Pictures and plans to follow please.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Quote :
Again my daughter had an idea...."Why don't you make the tractor go on the railway track."
Now there's a thought.....

Been done before, I was only yesterday looking at Bord Na Mona - and it seems that in addition to having the largest industrial ng railway in Europe they have in fact dabbled in this. They converted Massey Ferguson 135s to power 2 axle bogies, in order to pull their trains. When they got fed up with that idea they could just bolt the wheels back on and use as a tractor.

Incidentally, it took 2,500 tons of peat a day to supply the power station, each wagon held 5 tons - thats an awful lot of peat.

They used to have a little trainn that you could take an excursion onto the bog with and explore and stuff, BNM ceased it last year but there are plans for something much grander.

I was going to do a bit more research and write a bit bit I've spoilt it now.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:14 pm

I have a book and video about the Bord Na Mona.

A fascinating history but please add your bit as both are very old.

What was interesting is that they (indeirectly) contributed to Ruston Hornsby's downfall.

The Bord Na Mona wanted a Ruston loco with a Ford engine which die-hard Rustons refused to to entertain hence the loss of a large sustainable order.

I beileve they went for the 'Waggonmaster' in the end, a Hunslet/Home built machine.

Correct me If I'm wrong as all my info is packed away now.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 2:01 pm

In order to be back in the thread, here a link with a good size train to sit and drive Very Happy

(It's in german, with google and the pictures it's allright)

http://www.kleinbahn-bern.ch/50011895450c4eb03/50011896821218601.html

Tempting isn't it !!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 2:05 pm

It's been a while - a nervous few weeks of delicate dealing since a house move update.

So, up to now we have our 'offre de pret' (loan) for the new house and the buyer's of our house have passed their dates for declining their loan offer and retracting.

Thus we would seem to be approaching the top of the hill.
In fact the estate agent's in Bernay - Normandy texted us this morning to say that the Notary has agreed our request to sign contracts earlier.

All things boding well then we should be finally moving the week prior to Christmas.

Less than three weeks to go.

I shall be counting the days to the big push.

It's sad but as the inevitable becons we just want to leave here as soon as possible and start anew.

So not much activity from me chaps as it's packing boxes time again.

But....I am just beginning to plan a new garden railway (aside from the big tramway).

What would you do if you had a fresh start and a blank canvas to work with?

I cannot use all the 4000 sq metres available....Evil or Very Mad but I have a big squared off plot of about 800 sqm (formerly for chickens and geese) at my disposal....

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Good to hear your move is progressing well Carl. A blank canvas is always a difficult starting point. You think it would be the ideal but I found it required quite a bit of inspiration to get going with a plan. Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 8:22 am

Carl, I found a nice link for your future line Very Happy

http://trains-de-jardin.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=191

There some interesting pictures and information.

Ps : I never gave you that link, just in case someone looks over your shoulder Cool

Last edited by Bearcastle on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House and railway for sale   House and railway for sale - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

House and railway for sale
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next