Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 7:58 pm

That's what I love about this forum - how an innocent comment can end up with helping somebody with another aspect!

I'm sending Michel Marciquet's contact deatils by PM.

Please make sure your friend mentions "les anglais brian et caroline" when he contacts!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Well to my untrained eye, it looks like a horse. Admittedly, a 1:19 or thereabouts scale model of a horse being sat on by a 1:22.5 figure. So, do I continue with this horse, or should I be looking for a model of a more appropriate kind of horse? I do know it's not a Shire as they have big hairy feet, and that was quite a different model on the Schleich stand. I remember Wadworth's the brewers used them (the real ones, that is) to deliver beer to their pubs round the Devizes area up until quite recently.

Clive

Fat Controller of the Great Unfinished Railway, formerly the S&CGR
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 pm

A tiny bit more progress tonight - just the head and the right arm drilled and pinned to the body with the usual florist's wire. With apologies for the mountain of garbage on the table in the background (which is not mine, by the way Mad ):

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_5

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 9:39 pm

I had a go at reshaping the hat so that it resembles a shako:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_6

Still a bit rough around the edges, but we will sharpen that up with a file when it's cured.

Clive

Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Coming along nicely Clive. Smile

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Cheers Paul. I have to say I am experiencing a certain frustration with this figure - partly because I haven't progressed it as much as I would like due to work commitments (I know, I should think myself lucky I am working!) - but also, I keep looking at the horse and thinking I am cheating in some way, as it's a store-bought thing... albeit a good quality moulding and all, but the whole thing is a bit sterile, no real soul to it... I will have to ponder this some more I think.

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Well i'm happy with it so far clive! Just imagine 1910, summers day.he'd much rather be fishing. He's spoken to the dancing bear lady and is now on his way through the woods to check out the gypsy encampment. wouldnt you look a bit bored. I love the expression on his face. the horse? fantastic, its the rider that will add the character"

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Yeah, you could be right Mikey. Maybe once I've started fleshing the legs out a bit on the rider, I will start to warm to it more. We will see. I have been furthering my experiments with making a saddle blanket today and I have had some interesting results from several sheets of tissue paper (unused, I assure you!) and some watered-down PVA. Pics to follow, hopefully

Clive

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 8:28 pm

clive_t wrote:
.....a saddle blanket.....

I've been trying ages to think of the word. study

It's called a 'numnah' Surprised
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 11:44 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

It's called a 'numnah' Surprised

Thanks Carl - I am officially, further enlightened!

On that subject I mentioned that I had been experimenting with different materials to make this thing and make it look the part. I tried thin styrene sheet and heated it with a hair-dryer - no joy. I tried some PVC covering from an old table top protector, but I couldn't get it to take paint and in any case it didn't look 'right'.

Then this afternoon I tried thin strips of tissue paper, brushed with dilute PVA glue:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_7

That was a bit more like it! It was thin, and it formed very natural-looking creases with little or no effort on my part - result! Cool All I had to do then was be patient enough to let it dry. This evening, I was able to paint it with some neat acrylics:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_8

I think it will need gluing on when I'm ready as I have already successfully peeled the thing from the horse.

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 3:35 am

terrific Clive.Exactly how I would have done it! Its a similar method to making the tarpaulins. Looking good

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 11:03 am

Cheers Mikey. Now that I've managed to remove it, I can paint the edges a bit better so there's no white showing. Also, I was able to attend to the tack last night and this morning.

The PVC which had failed in its previous usage, actually came up trumps this time...

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_9

The bit is just 2 brass loops drilled and pushed into the side of the horse's mouth. I drilled a reasonably discrete hole through the rider's hand, so as to be able to thread the reins through it. Next is the fun part though... the saddle! Wish me luck, I have a feeling I may need it! pale

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 5:07 pm

Well impressed with the bridle and reins clive. its got a nice leatherlike grain to it!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Cheers Mikey! Last night was the big challenge though - the saddle... I used a whole load of 'Grey Stuff' in the making of it, mainly so as to allow the saddle to flex sufficiently for me to be able to remove it without damaging either it or the horse...

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_10

The straps hanging down from the saddle will eventually be the stirrup straps for when I get round to making the stirrup irons.

Finally then, I was able this morning to make a start on the rider's legs. Here's how they look so far, complete with saddle and blanket all together:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_11

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 7:52 am

Progress update from last night...

Legs are on the way to being fully defined, the tack is all done with stirrup irons made from thin brass wire. The blanket is now glued in place.

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_13

It's not obvious from the picture, but I have also trimmed away some of the plastic from the right side of the rider's body, to allow the right arm to sit more comfortably in position. As it was, it made the body look 'unbalanced'.

I will be turning my attention to the uniform bit next, in particular of course the tunic.

Also, looking at the old photo of the rider standing next to his mount, I see that:

1. He appears to be wearing some sort of spur arrangement on his boots
2. There appears to be a sabre hanging from his left side.

Mikey, is that something that you would like to see on this model?

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 7:07 am

Sorry late in replying Clive. Computerless for 24 hrs after ie8 crashed on me!. not bothered about spurs or sabre (maybe a bit fragile?) its looking good so far.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks Mikey! Welcome back btw - sounds like a very good reason for me to continue using Firefox then...

OK a bit more progress: Right arm and head are now Milliput'ed in place, and stiff collar added to the top of the tunic. Tunic front, sam browne and boots added:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_14

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 4:43 pm

More, albeit modest, progress - The saddle is now painted, and the rider is primed:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_16

Not ready to be painted yet, I just wanted to see if there were any surfaces which needed tidying up before I go any further... and there are!

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 9:35 pm

More progress:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_17

Still not painted yet, but at least he now has a few more embellishments to the tunic. I also made something that represents his rain cape, rolled up and tied to his saddle behind him. Mikey, would you say dark blue again for the rolled-up cape, same as the blanket or a different shade - or maybe even a different colour ?

Also, I have taken another small liberty, and introduced a third character to this little vignette (if one can count the horse as a character) - a small gypsy girl...

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_17b

She started life as a Preisser 1:24 scale female passenger (standing), but with limbs shortened slightly and some bulking up for the dress, she could pass for a child of about 11 or 12?

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 7:17 am

Excellent Clive! Would have thought cape would be same colour as uniform (a bit darker blue than the blanket)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 9:05 am

The gendarme and girl pose are just like what I have seen in Paris....

Although more recently, motorbike mounted and some typically Romanian young girl exclaiming her rights to beg for money in return for a little colourful street entertainment.

...or is she just trying to stroke the horse? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:53 am

I guess she could be reaching up to pat the horse on the muzzle... My original intention however was to give her a G-scale apple with which to feed it. I've made two so far, and managed to lose them both!

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 10:24 am

Well it's been a while since my last post on this, mainly because I was waiting until the Wickham Show to continue progress.

Well as intimated in the thread on that subject, I was able to make some progress, in painting the copper, which was completed last night. I had hoped to take some pics outside today, but as we appear to be right in the middle of the Monsoon season I decided instead to take some indoors. Of course, the downside of that is the light is rubbish. But anyway, here's where we are with it:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_18

Here's a gypsy-girl's-eye view of the copper and his mount:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_18b

Observant persons will have noticed a small addition to the girl figure - a small hand-basket of apples: made from GS and a bit of thin brass wire for the handle:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Gypsy_Girl_c1910_4

Sod's law it is, that I should notice some defective painting on the girl once I'd taken the pic (the hand holding the basket is a bit dodgy - I will attend to that in due course)

Mikey, a question: I haven't yet done a saddle-mounted holster for the copper - would that be a pistol holster, or a rifle holster? Would there be one on each side of the saddle or just the one? I was looking at the old photo, and it sort of suggests a rifle holster - but I'd take your advice on it!

Clive

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 11:35 am

The model is looking superb Clive. Re the holster I dont honestly know, but from my previous hobby of Western history the 7 th cavalry didnt carry rifles but carbines (much shorter barrel and easier to fire from horseback. I would just do one (if its not too much bother). Very pleased with that!

Mikey (can I put your pic on my site?)
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 11:39 am

Cheers for the info Mikey - will get on it soon as.

Yes, by all means put that pic of me on your site - should scare the kids away!

Clive

Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 11:25 pm

Evening all... I've spent the last few evenings conjuring up something approximating to a carbine in a holster for our law man friend. Interestingly enough, the REME Museum of Technology came up trumps! I found a photo of a weapon which would probably have been in existence in France in the year 1910 - http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/rifles/armfrc.htm will tell you all you want to know and more! Anyway, here is my interpretation:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_19

The gun is made from a piece of thin styrene sheet, cut to a basic shape then fleshed out with Milliput. The barrel is a thin piece of brass wire. The holster is a lump of GS initially stretched gently over a the 'handle' end of a small paint-brush, then gently removed and widened to accommodate the gun.

Here's how the look painted up, and with some strapping with which to secure it to the saddle:

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_19b

Finally, with the thing in situ, taken in predictably poor light (being as I was indoors, at night)...

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 MH_Mounted_Gendarme_c1910_19c

I promise I will take a better pic outside, just as soon as this infernal rain stops.

Clive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910   A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Mounted Gendarme, from c1910
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: