Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do you do for Winter?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Knotty Ash

What do you do for Winter? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you do for Winter?   What do you do for Winter? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 8:58 pm

paul stainz holt wrote:
Hi Les.

Good to see you here my friend.
I can confirm that Les's line is a cracker - lots of gradients and changes of level - and recently altered - which I haven't seen yet.

Hi Paul, stopped at the mo due to my son Allan, he was to remove the base plates of the shed weeks ago, still waiting, I have removed a 10x8ft shed this has given us a lot more room as you will see from the pics Les
Back to top Go down

What do you do for Winter? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you do for Winter?   What do you do for Winter? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Hello All,

Winters are a bit harsher here than what I've experienced on random visits across the pond. We can have long stretches of subfreezing temperature (we take -5° in stride, -10° is not shocking). Similarly, snow can stay on the ground for weeks. We do have thaws from time to time, and +5° is not uncommon, but it's not the norm. Days that would actually be pleasant for running trains (i.e. over 10°) are rare.

On top of that, for the sake of the garden, I let the fallen leaves remain for the winter. They both protect the plants, and their decomposition helps the soil. If there were more pleasant train days, it might be worth clearing the tracks, but given the weather it hardly seems worth it. So I just don't run.

I actually enjoy the seasonal rituals that accompany the railroad. In a few weeks I'll collect all the figures from around the line, take them inside, wash them off, and put them in storage. (Buildings stay out all winter.)

The first mild weekend in March, I'll go out and clear the dead leaves. Finding the newly sprouting plants underneath is always a pleasant harbinger of spring. At the same time I'll reballast, and fix any track joints that are causing voltage drops. Having to "work" on the railroad makes it more real to me.

cheers,
Scot O.
Back to top Go down

What do you do for Winter?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: