Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
pjti

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. Empty
PostSubject: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 am

Where there was once life - let there be new life.

Ok for those that can still get into it, take a look at the latest post on Troys "London Tram Build" by a chap called Peter Davies.

Come on Troy (if you're out there) we need you back at the helm, talent like this should not be wasted.

Homemade London Tram

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 5:53 pm

I've just seen that fantastic tram on his forum.

That is really something to think about for the 'larger garden'.

God know what 'she's' going to say if I try and build something like that.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Who is Charlotte Church ?

Patrick
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:24 pm

A welsh singer who lives with a rugby international. two kids and grande nichons!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I've just seen that fantastic tram on his forum.

That is really something to think about for the 'larger garden'.

God know what 'she's' going to say if I try and build something like that.

Peter's been in contact with me.I'm hoping to go and visit and have a drive Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 10:35 am

Troy - I now have a garden that would accommodate a reasonably level and straight 250m end to end run with ease only 10 minutes from you. You build the tram and I'll work on the track! Wow..........
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 10:48 am

Hey what about a Continental connection.....

Tram Ferry anyone?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 11:06 am

Pick a guage Very Happy
I'll build a tram and I can trailer it around Kent and perhaps a large French garden.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 11:09 am

In the future new house I would like to do a straight run of about 60 metres down one side where my garage/workshop is then eventually around the bottom and up the other side of the garden like a U shape but with tight curves into the corners, total about 200m. I can get away with the first part but I'm domestically risking the second and third stage.

60cm/2ft could be the way to go as you can just chuck Jubilee/Decauville track down on the ground....and pick it up again on divorce.

A 7 1/4 line would be more sensible and realistic but the cost of proprietary trackwork is scary. I would need to investigate a cheap method.

It would be a tramway and not a railway as such....maybe even overhead fed.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 11:19 am

Now I'm starting to drool. tongue
On board batteries with a switchover for overhead supply.I think a discussion with Peter davies is in order to see how he did his.
Might have to progress to real wood and not balsa though Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 11:31 am

And me...I might have to start thinking welded steel and not girlie soldered nickel silver.

Seven weeks for planning....construction starts 1st January (we should move 30th Dec...pirat)

First passengers by Easter?

Okay lets go. bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 1:33 pm

Anyone have a source of rail? Sleepers? Ballast is the easy bit, I guess. A 7.25 line I visited in NZ used flat steel bar in slotted sleepers - it looked and worked a lot better than I thought it would. Small profile alli rail can be obtained from http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/products/page25.html - in fact if Troy could build to 5" gauge then costs of track packs plummet to less than LGB!!! Other costs are significantly reduced in 5" as well, so may be worth looking at.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 3:40 pm

5 inch gauge has some big cost advantages but it just looks a bit too small and I don't think you could build a 'ride-in' tram it would have to be a sit astride thing I reckon.

It bewteen showers and trying to demolish a viaduct ( Crying or Very sad ) I looked at the cost of steel rail and Alluminium rail from these two suppliers as well as Ride on Railways,
The pricing gets complicated depending on type/size of rail, length and quantities supplied.

Miniature Railway Supply

Cromer White

As an example

16mm high ally rail from Cromer White works at around £5 per 3m length which equates to about £3.30 per metre of rail/track of course sleepering is extra.

21mm (2lb/yard) steel rail from MRS works out at about £8 per metre of rail/track.

Wood for sleepering here in france woodent be too difficult to get cheaply or one could weld the steel rail with ties like Jubilee track.

More investigation required.

But the more I think about it a real tramway is definitely required. I've just got to convince someone else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 3:45 pm

Come on Troy, where are you? We need TWO trams!
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 3:58 pm

One of the problems is going to be wheels,motor and chassis.
On the motor front we could build a horse drawn tram Very Happy ..that gets a pony involved and a little person on our collective persuasive side ... Laughing
This topic is of intense interest to me though.It can be done.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Cant we build a corpet? Very Happy Wink

mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Tubular steel, either battery or lawn mower petrol engine, electric transmission/motors. Where's the problem? Bexhill Model Engineering for the running gear?

(sounds easy in principle doesn't it!)

Visited this place a couple of weeks ago - some inspiration.......

http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/Introduction.cfm
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 pm

If the weight wasnt too great, would it be possible (and cheaper) to run on treated wooden rails a la old time logging tracks?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:
One of the problems is going to be wheels,motor and chassis.
On the motor front we could build a horse drawn tram Very Happy ..that gets a pony involved and a little person on our collective persuasive side ... Laughing
This topic is of intense interest to me though.It can be done.

Yep....Wheels seem to be the biggest financial outlay unless anyone has a decent lathe and knows how to use it (not me).

I expect we could make a simple chassis out of steel or even hardwood and a motor (old car starter perhaps) and gearbox, chain or belt drive wouldn't be too difficult to cobble together.

I have some plans somewhere on how to convert a small petrol strimmer to a useful traction unit although we could be back to the multi-mode donkey idea again. Razz

Looking at the Bexhill engineering site the chassis kits and bogies are not that expensive. You could pay more for an LGB locomotive.

Bexhill Engineering
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 5:56 pm

could you not use car wheels without the tyres?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:00 pm

mikeyh wrote:
could you not use car wheels without the tyres?

Some compromises are too far sir. And pointwork becomes impossible..... But I suppose that we could leave the tyres on and pretend we're in Paris..... Rolling Eyes

I agree that under £300 for a pair of 7 1/4" sprung bogies is not unreasonable when stacked against the price of an LGB loco .........

Last edited by Bredebahn on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 pm

My next door neighbour has a matal lathe.Plus he has access to all sorts of engineering bits and bobs.
The wheels would not need to be big after all.Got to be a bogie car.Battery/overhead with electric motor for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Agree must be bogie car. Battery I think is preferred but how much current is a vehicle of this size going to draw?

Sorry - just realised that's your problem. I'll order in the ballast, rail and sleepers then shall I?
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Sorry - I had skimmed the article but it was the pictures that grabbed my attention. You didn't answer the question about the sleepers, ballast and rail...........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. Empty

Back to top Go down

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Ride on rail and tramways-
Jump to: