Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:33 pm

Sorry - I had skimmed the article but it was the pictures that grabbed my attention. You didn't answer the question about the sleepers, ballast and rail...........
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Gasoline engines are pretty cheap over here. For example, I can buy a new Chinese-built horizontal shaft 6.5 HP engine for less than $100. It is a licensed copy of a Honda GX series engine. They run smoothly and quietly. Are they available in France? Might be cheaper than electric--and you could have an automotrice!

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Troy.... When you go and visit you will need to ask questions for 3 of us.

Reading again that article he has carefully considered the safety implications too.

A bogie vehicle is certain for me too and I think easier to build and run.

So a H1 or Feltham then....

....Or as in Belgium there were a number of petrol powered tramcars like the TTA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:17 pm

If you have a look at the stock on the Driving Creek Railway, the interesting one is the Possum. A single railcar across two bogies, with diesel hydraulic transmission. All the railcars used on this extraordinary railway were "home-brew" design and build. Amazingly it all works very well. I was so interested in the way this railway had done things (including getting past the inspectorate!) that I took a load of pictures. Now if I could work out how to post them, I'd let you into the fascination......
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:41 pm

posting guide sent by e mail.

I ve just been looking around and there are many places dealing in spares and parts for electric carts, buggies etc...

I still think a challenge would be real overhead electric.
The problem of course is at 12v dc it would a very a high current supply would be needed, almost welding current.

If however it was supplied at a higher voltage say 60v dc this would need only to be a fifth of the current and could be stepped down and controlled on board.

Or....what about ac transmission. 16vac rectifies down to 12v if I remember. Would that be feasible?
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Depends on the motor.We need a scrapyard for all of those bloody mobility scooters that now rule the pavements.
Hang on.A great idea.Mobility scooter kidknap.Strip down.Use motor and batteries.Use old person for conductor... Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 9:55 am

I think overhead catenery a wire too far. I'd just keep walking into it.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 am

I did simple catenary, but left the wires alone........

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 Elok_014

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 1:06 pm

I think you've missed the point Paul Laughing
We're after a bit of this that we can sit in and have races.. Very Happy

vambac
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Troy and others, the original article is in a rather out of the way location and is in danger of being lost forever. Would it be possible to carry out a transplant ? I know it's not exactly the flavour of things continental as such but it's a damn good topic of discussion at the mo' . Lets save it for posterity and stick it on here as a pinned post, and invite Mr Davies to join us of course. Maybe he can build a 7 1/4 Soller, quicker than my 1/24th one.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 2:08 pm

When I get time later I will separate and tidy up this/these topics.

I did edit the title as an interim.

If not overhead catenary...what about (centre) third rail. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Third rail could be a problem Carl.I was relying on the fact that I could stick my feet out of the bottom to stop in celebrated Flintstones style. Laughing
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 5:23 pm

With either live catenary or third rail, I'd be concerned about electrocution.

Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:
I think you've missed the point Paul Laughing
We're after a bit of this that we can sit in and have races.. Very Happy

vambac

Laughing Laughing

Oops Embarassed

Website http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 5:50 pm

KleineDicke wrote:

The motors I'm looking at are only 24 volt.The key problem is the amout of amperage they'll pull.It won't kill you but it'll give an impressive,welding ability spark if it goes wrong Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Sparkeswood wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:

The motors I'm looking at are only 24 volt.The key problem is the amout of amperage they'll pull.It won't kill you but it'll give an impressive,welding ability spark if it goes wrong Very Happy

So centre rail it is then. Problem - bang - flash - welds to braking rail - sorted and safe.

Seriously, must be a way to sort amperage draw or nothing electric would ever move. Talk to the one that's done it .........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Well what you need is a electric Golf kart it will have all the mechanical components you need, my brother works for a golf supply company and boy there technology demonstrater is scary fast!! and a kart will go all day before needing a charge + steel wheels could be turned down to provide a flanged wheel?
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 6:54 pm

That why I was thinking along the lines of a mobility scooter.
Battery,motor and all of the rest of the components to rearrange and refit.I just need to find somewhere to get hold of one Neutral
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 7:40 pm

I've missed a bit today here...

But yes, I think we're all thinking the right way. Electric vehicle spares and components.

I have actually got a 24 volt scooter motor rated at a 1/4 hp. I was going to use this as a generator for another live diesel project. It only cost me £6 on e bay.

There are others at less power available.

In fact on e bay at the moment there is a guy knocking out scooters as spares or repair for
£18.

e bay scooters

These may not be powerful enough alone to build a tram on though but what about 4 of these motors one each axle?.

I'm even thinking of buying 2 scooters bolting them together parallel, add some flanges to the wheels and hey...it's a start.

Then my daughter just came up with a great idea....She has an old pedal bike...7 1/4" velorail.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Out of the mouths of babes...

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 pm

I found this site for speed controllers...

4QD Speed Controllers
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 7:39 pm

I've been looking at track. Well rail to be precise.
Ready made track is out of the question for me.

Ride-on tramway.

Gauge 7 ¼’’

Length (on side of garden) 70 metres.

Distance from driveway entrance to side of shed 45 metres, straight and flat.
I am planning on a 50 metre run to start with which means 100 metres of rail. Sleepering and fixing of course is another issue but treated wood here can be obtained quite cheaply.

Some track options. All alluminium alloy.
Steel rail profile is silly money.

Miniature Railway Supply Co.

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 16mm10

100+ metres =£1.95 per metre 3m 34+ lengths £4.87/length 4m 25+ lengths £7.80/length

Although this is quite cheap I think it"s too flimsy.

Better is this I reckon which at the moment is my preferred option.

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 21mmal10

100+ metres =£2.22 per metre 3m 34+ lengths £6.67/length 4m 25+ lengths £8.89/length

Or from another supplier

Cromar White

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 710

5 - 14 packs of 5 x 4m per rail £12.69
100 metres rail = 317.25 (£3.17 per metre)

This is substantially more solid/rigid but at 50% more cost than the 21mm from MRS.

I also got a quote from a local supplier of mild steel bar which seems popular with some groups although fixing down is a big problem and it's the wrong profile.

20mm x 10mm works out at 2.18€ per metre
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 7:11 pm

I agree with you Carl that ready made track is expensive. One thing that is plentiful in our region is wood. Interesting costs comparisons - the 7.25" that I recently was privileged to visit in NZ used steel bar and this was simply inserted into tight slots cut into the sleeper heads - no other fixings were needed. However profile was not right (and I imagine that wheel wear would have been high) and if steel bar is actually more expensive than correctly profiled rail then there's no point in going down that road. In the case of NZ, he had acquired the "rail" secondhand at a very good price.

I guess that the cost of heavier rail will be repaid in lower number of sleepers and fixings required, plus a stronger end product - that sounds favourite.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Peter has just posted a couple more pics on Troys old site - can't we get him on here somehow ?

Patrick
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 8:54 am

The more I see that tramcar in his garden the more I want one here! Sad
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 9:37 am

With 800 square meter it shouldnot be a problem, here I cannot do that or just a strait line of 20 m Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Ride on rail and tramways-
Jump to: