Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Bearcastle

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 9:37 am

With 800 square meter it shouldnot be a problem, here I cannot do that or just a strait line of 20 m Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 10:44 am

I've only just caught up with this thread, having dreamt the same dream for a while.

I have some wheel castings about 12.5 cm dia which I turned to something approaching a 71/4 gauge profile. They are no good for a tram, but will do for a simple flat truck. If you go ahead, then I'll sort out a couple of wheel sets for a works trolley.

This is an entirely selfish offer, as I also have the bits to build a simple battery loco (I rather fancied an AEG steeple cab a la LGB) and have had absolutely no incentive to get on with it, as I don't, yet, know anyone with a 71/4" track who isn't a model engineer.

Finally,one for Troy. I may be able to get my hands on some of the bits off an oldsters battery chariot in about three months time. Basically,motors gearboxes & controls. A guy called Don Fifer used to use similar kit to build a basic 4 wheel open car which would propel two people and a similar trailer at quite a reasonable pace.

If you guys are serious, then I'll offer what limited help I can. "Ride on Tramway" is so far down my list of projects that, on current progress, I'm not due to start my (portable) track much before 2025 ! So,digitum extractum, Mister ibbs.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 11:03 am

Yep.I'm still up for this.Funds and time permitting.

Finally,one for Troy. I may be able to get my hands on some of the bits off an oldsters battery chariot in about three months time. Basically,motors gearboxes & controls. A guy called Don Fifer used to use similar kit to build a basic 4 wheel open car which would propel two people and a similar trailer at quite a reasonable pace.

That would be great.I feel a big build coming on this summer in the shed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 am

I really do actually need a tramway in the garden.

We have a log fire and the wood is 60+ metres away.

So this year it is a must. I've even convinced my wife......

"It's your turn to go and get some wood for the fire dear as we've run out up here."
Dark, cold and very wet outside with wild animals roaming....hehe.Twisted Evil

I just need about 400€ to buy the (decent) track.

If I can find wheels then I can make a chassis.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 am

Okay...latest ideas....

After a lot of discussion and searching on the net I am thinking about 5" gauge.
There are considerable cost savings over 7 1/4 and it is comparative to G scale!

It is just possible for small people to ride inside the wagons if they are stable.

A few referrences and simple equipments to start.

http://www.pnplastics.co.uk

http://www.abbotsmodeleng.co.uk/

http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/products/page25.html

5 inch gauge

10 metres track kit complete = £146 (screwix) PNP

Loco basic chassis = £683 (basic kit) ROR

motor bogie = £765 (pair) ROR £600 (pair/kit) Abbott

bogies = £265 (pair) ROR £275 (pair/rtr) Abbott

2 axles/4 wheels = £46 Abbott

4 wheel chassis = £181 (kit) ROR

bogie well chassis inc. bogies = £395 ROR

So….
30 metres track complete in kit form £438, (Or £159 for rail (60m) only.)
+ basic loco kit £683, + 4 wheel chassis £181, + bogie well chassis £395, = £1697

That is the cost of a reasonable G scale live steam loco.

And that will give me a short, straight tramway from the gate to my garage/workshop.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 11:10 am

This is a direct link to 'Ride on Railways' cheap electric loco.

Trojan loco
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Will it be ready by July bounce

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Neat. I kinda like the tramway loco. That would fit in with the "Les Tramways de Boisney" theme.

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:17 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Will it be ready by July bounce

If I get the money from the household kitty it'll be ready by Easter.... tongue
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 5:48 pm

An easter party coming as well as the "pendaison de la crémaillière" ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
This is a direct link to 'Ride on Railways' cheap electric loco.

Trojan loco

Unfortunately the link to "prices" is broken. The days are drawing out and the grass is getting greener..........
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:57 pm

OK Carl. Here's what you need. Just the ticket for hauling that firewood into the house.
Rail Truck

I imagine the postage would be a bit much, though. It's still pretty cool.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Very interesting and looks great.

The speed controller got my attention as it seems like a load of diodes.

And if the weather gets much colder we'll be lighting that fire again pretty soon.

The idea of a ride on tramway is still very alive but just waiting for time, money and some fitness!

BTW we're planning a visit 'stateside' next spring. At moment it's just going to be around NY but I'm hoping to expand on that.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Carl- When in NY, you must visit the 9/11 site and take the tour guided by one of the survivors of the attack. Very moving, indeed.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Carl, this may be of interest

http://www.maint.com

and a commentary about the FEVE lines across Northern Spain

http://www.maint.com/GreenSpain/

The site owner is Nicholas Zvegintzov who is a friend that I first met in Santander when we were both travelling on FEVE and FC LA Robla.
Nicholas also has a nice apartment suite on Staten Island NY and rents out one of the rooms. I have not yet made the journey myself, because of health reasons, but hope to one day. Looks nice and convenient and I am sure Nicholas would be a fantatic host and rail enthusiast.

Here are the room details,

http://www.newyorkroomwithaview.com/

Hope you are feeling better,
David

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for that David. The appartment looks great with a superb views. If I was travelling on my own I would for sure make contact with Nicolas and even with wifey and daughter I may still try and contact him if I can extend our at present 1 week visit.

My wife works for an American law firm in Paris and has special deals on hotels/accomodation/travel in New York through the company. We couldn't afford it otherwise. I would love to stay for longer than a week though which won't do the visit justice.

I am feeling a little better thanks but I have a docs visit as soon as school finishes.

9/11 is a be thing for us Bill and we will be certainly visiting that part of the city. My daughter was born in that year and I gave up smoking 4 days before the twin towers went down.
At the time we were living in the shadow of Canary Wharf (London's new Manhattan) and were expecting that to be a target too.
We moved to France that year too.

My next quetion will be what railway attractions are there in and around NY.
Although the metro system and NY Central station are enough to keep me amused.

BTW congrats US soccer team...... better that than England!

Going back to Spanish Narrow Gauge. FEVE is what is missing in France. If they'd had a similar setup then perhaps more metre gauge lines would be operating now.
Another question....From some of the pics the gauge looks smaller than metre gauge. Are there other gauges operated by FEVE?

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Carl, all FEVE lines are metre gauge.

I think there is an issue in Leon where FEVE had/has ambitions to morph their urban services into a tram/train operation, maybe to insure against some traffic loss on the longer distance passenger market that may be lost to the new RENFE/AVE lines, that may yet be built East-West through Galicia, Asturies and Cantabria.

My Spanish BabelFish is not up to much but it seems that Leon Municipal Management have recently decided on specifying the tram system of 950mm or something oddly similar. One can only assume this is a deliberate snub to FEVE, who IMHO have a fantastically lateral approach to modern railway management and probably through their progressive policies have maybe caused the tram gauge to be reduced by the authorities as a form of exclusion ?
Sounds like a throwback to the days of Napoleon. Maybe Patrick can add to this.

This could mean that Leon has 4 gauges rather than two when the AVE and tram arrives. Not exactly variety reduction as I knew it.

David

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 5:57 am

Carl, further to your question the only sub metre gauge lines (non FEVE) I know of as probably still operating are

- one or two stockyards for underground mines
- street running 2 foot gauge mineral tramway through Pola De Laviana
- a coal mine north end of the Ponferrada to Villablino line with OHW feeder system

David
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 am

It is with admiration that the Spanish have managed their secondary lines (from what I can see) so well.

In my view this is what should have happened ideally with the 'CFD' (Compagnie - Chemins de Fer Départementaux) in France.
They still exist as a manufacturer of narrow gauge equipment.
Here's their history from their website. CFD

Just don't mention the new trains in Corsica.... Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 am

David et al I don't really follow developments much so knowledge is only what I can trawl from the internet.

For years I could never understand the craze for NG, to me they were not REAL trains more like toys - I still don't understand why folk get all funny about them. BUT I do now appreciate their charm.

What may not be known (except for David) is that FEVE do not operate only as a passenger carrying concern. There is an awful lot of freight moved. I often see long trains of coal hoppers and others of flats carrying coiled steel, these are invariably double headed and make for an impressive sight. I am always driving when this happens, so no (as yet) pictures. There are also regular tourist trains of "antique" style which seem to operate to full capacity, alas not steam.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Some good stuff david.
Also of interest (maybe) hot off the press so to speak - Feve Fuel cell tram trials Thats a mouthful !!

Patrick
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Thats done it !

Wifey is off to some Masai village this time next year, so I was thinking of going inter-railing for a few weeks.

The one time in my life when I crossed the Hendaye/Irun border, I was a sprog with a rucksack full of smelly clothes on the slow train to Porto. I'd never heard of the FEVE, and until reading this thread, never considered riding it. Looks like a fat bloke in his fifties, with a wheely suitcase of clean clothes may have to make up for that sin of omission.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 8:18 pm

My only previous encounter with FEVE was from Alicante to Denia as we talked about a while ago.
I am surprised from David's post to see such heavy trains and I have spent nearly 2 hours today looking at other similar vids.
Those GE U10 (FEVE class 1500) make a superb noise. There are some other 'big' diesels too like Alsthoms and Henschels I see.

I can see why you are so keen to have a live model diesel now.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm

I don't know of anything in New York itself except for Grand Central Station, which is worth a look.

This place isn't too far from NYC (I know nothing about it, but they seem to have some interesting rolling stock): http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/contactus.html

The Strasburg Railroad http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ and the Pennsylvania State Railway Museum http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/ are in Strasburg. PA, about 150 Miles from NYC. Strasburg is a great place for live steam. It's also in the heart of "Pennsylvania Dutch" country (Amish and Mennonite folk). As in the film "The Witness". You'll probably need to rent a car to get there, though.

Baltimore is 188 miles from NYC and home of the B&O Museum http://www.borail.org/index.shtml - one of the best collections in North America. Baltimore is easily accessed from NYC by train (Metroliner service is pretty quick & reliable- at least by USA standards Twisted Evil ).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 8:30 am

Be a man Troy. So pack your thing up and move out!

The Australian Model Train Guide
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.   Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tramway in the garden. The 2nd coming.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Ride on rail and tramways-
Jump to: