Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Arles

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

Arles Empty
PostSubject: Arles   Arles EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm

On the way back to Marseille airport last month I homed into a small preserved bit of standard guage Departmental railway at Arles. The line originally weaved a long distance eastward to the north of Marseille and I think it was originally operated by the Economique company.

The current line goes to Fontvieille where it served an army base probably closed now our young neighbours are no longer forced into military service.

Of interest are these two French built Planet looking locos.

Arles DSC_0129_Small

Arles DSC_0128_Small

Arles DSC_0127_Small

The current service is run by these tourist trains.

Arles DSC_0130_Small

From a British viewpoint it seems to me that the French preserved railway movement is rich in infrastructure but poor in rolling stock (and volunteers) while in Britain there is an abundance of preserved rolling stock (and volunteers) squashed on to very short bits of line. Would the Vivarais fail in the UK? What do you guys think?

Peter
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Arles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arles   Arles EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm

That's an interesting line I know little about.

The Moyse locos are always a pleasure to see. Some have an air of 'Ruston' about them.

A good summing up up the respective preservation situations except for the French abundance of tedious political wrangling even when there is obvious cash available (Vivarais, Provence, Sarthe etc..).

It is amazing how many kilometres of unused 'mothballed' track there is in France.
Back to top Go down
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

Arles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arles   Arles EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 9:09 pm

A bit further north is Viaduct 07 using ex PLM "branch" line.

http://www.viaduc07.fr/

Well intentioned and supported by the Department (controlled level crossings etc) but, presumably to keep their head down and steer clear of the local politics, it runs across the sparsely populated and visited Ardeche plain between the Gorge and Vivarais but does not run down to the relatively densely populated Rhone valley and TER links at Le Teil.

And all they have is a Picasso, another DMU and a Locotractuer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Arles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arles   Arles Empty

Back to top Go down

Arles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Full size 1:1 trains-
Jump to: