Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electric engines

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Hello,

Where can I found all the technical details about the engine block, like volt needed Amp etc ...

On LGB or other type, got a projet in mind, but don't know the details about them.

Laurent
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Laurent:
I do not know where to find specifications, but I have measured amperage on several of my LGB locomotives - all single motor - including Stainz, 2074 Spreewald, 2090 Diesel, and 2076 Spremberger. Typical amperage draw is approximately 0.2-0.3 amps with no load, up to 0.5-0.7 amps under full load at 12 VDC. The Buhler motors LGB uses will accept up to 22 VDC, but I used a 12 VDC battery as my power source, since most of my locomotives are converted to battery power. Hope this helps.
Bill
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:59 pm

From my experience.
That's very similar to the current draw on an Aristocraft small motor bogie. When I was doing the live diesel project both motor bogies together (in parallel) were drawing about 1.2 amps under load at 10-12vdc.

The lowest voltage that they would operate (under load) at was 2.8 volts but at least 0.5 amp was required.

'Under load' being on the track or on roller blocks with chassis but not pulling anything.

This was also similar to Hartland and Bachman twin bogie models which I have tested.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:23 pm

This subject is connected to another thing that i dont understand!
Firstly i want my trains to run really slooooowwwwww.I've just about mastered the live steamer and the battery powered locos BUT; two stainz are track powered (basically so I can control them more precisely for stopping at stations etc). I have two transformers 12v and 24v . Is it best to use the 12v with the power turned up or the 24v turned down?. I know its a rhetorical question but I cant test properly at the moment 'cos i'm having a few problems installing the turntable (so havent got a complete circuit available)

Mikey
Back to top Go down

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Won't make any difference Mikey, the loco will only draw what it needs to go at a set speed. the advantage comes when you hit dirty track then the 24V will be able to "push" the current through the crud better! speed control is more of a gearing issue if you ask me, If they would gear the thing to go at a reasonable speed at say 12 volts it would be more controllable as the current will have more oomph to get through bad joints dirty track etc. but then the little darlings wouldn't hurtle round the track at 100mph....................
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Thankyou Paul, thats very helpful!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't think there's going to be a lot of difference. Using the 12v is probably more efficient since throttling down generally throws away some energy as heat. If you are using the same controller for both transformers, or the two controllers have a similar span of control movement, the 12v will give you finer adjustment. However, the 24v might give more flexibility if you need it; for example if your train stalls on a dirty track section, sometimes and extra "shot" of volts will get things going again (voltage is the driving force here for the amps).

The above holds true for a Electric engines Corpstcs as well as for a Stainz.

Edit: Apparently I was answering this at the same time as Paul. Since we arrived at similar conclusions, either both or neither of us is crazy.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Mikey
If you use DCC power, slow running is a totally differnet matter.

I have a Stainz fitted with a Zimo chip, and the way it is set up, the first three speed steps result in very slow running - in fact on speed step 1, it is difficult to tell if the loco is actually moving.

Here is a video of a pair of Stainz fitted with normal LGB 55021 decoders..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXRSV-IiyQ
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 6:31 pm

thanks guys. I can see that the 24v would be the better controller/transformer now.

Bill you couldnt resist it could ya!
Paul. i'm DC only. the track power is so i can have a loco running that will stop when i want it to. the others can just roll on by (so doesnt really justify DCC)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 pm

mikeyh wrote:

Paul. i'm DC only.

Mikey

That's not what we've heard..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks for the answer, need to find a good generator to feed the engine. A 12 volt should be fine, just need to see if one will be enought.

That's send me to another question like using supercap to run the engine with more accuracy. Anybody saw anything on that subjet ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Sponsored content

Electric engines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric engines   Electric engines Empty

Back to top Go down

Electric engines
Page 1 of 1