Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why did we go Continental?

Go down 
+7
dtsteam
French Chuffed
Carl Hibbs
David Grantham
clive_t
Paul Stainz Holt
mikeyh
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
philkelly

Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks Carl: Pierre still owes me "les huisseries": I've knocked up doors and windows painted on clear plastic, and they look ok, but I would like the goods shed door! I am hoping to make a day trip to ExpoRail, which is quite easy when Eurostar is running its normal timetable but we don't know what it will be like in November - last trains from Paris have been much earlier - I will see you there either Saturday or Sunday...

Phil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Well, I went continental because I was charmed by the locomotives over the water. First off, I bought three 4-6-0 (2C0)(2-3-0)locomotives a couple or three years ago. They were relatively cheap too, which, for me, was a bonus. I dont like chucking money around! (see credit crunch....)They perform excellently, and to date, I have had no major problems with them. I did modify them though, they are a little bit lightweight and were a bit picky over dirty track so I fitted battery power and they now run nicely over my dirty track. (I refuse to buy an LGB track cleaner.)

I've bought other locos since but some of my latest aquisistions are three 2-8-0s(1D0)(1-4-0). Now I had heard so many horror stories about these locomotives, I held off buying one. I bought my first about nine months ago and was immediately hooked. I did have a little problem with the counterweights on the motion but ten minutes and a few spots of superglue sorted it. The other two have had no problems. Last sunday, I even stripped them all down to check out the "loose" motor screws. Everything was tight and sweet. I did take the opportunity to re grease the gearboxes though. Of course, with sixteen pick up points (no silly "traction tyres"), dirty track is no problem.

Thats it really, I went continental because I could buy a stud of locomotives without resorting to debt, employing locomotives with a workaday beauty, with faultless operation, at the right price. Unfortunately for this forum, the continent is America.

Well its a continent! lol!

TAXI!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2008 10:10 pm

I was beginning to think where did you get all these 'continental' 2-8-0s from and then I saw US.....
If you have an interest in continental trains that's ok for me.

What part of America are you modelling if any, precisely?

BTW the French notation and pronunciation for wheel arrangements is,

0-6-0= 030 or zero trente,
0-8-0= 040 or zero quarante,
2-6-0= 130 or un trente,

etc,.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 6:53 am

Admin wrote:
If you have an interest in continental trains that's ok for me.

My interests include anything that involves a steel wheel and a steel rail Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 3:56 pm

Quote :
It is amazing how many people were attracted to LGB by the ubiquitous U class

It was the 2095 in my case .... just love those locos and LGB just happened to make one .... it started when I thought I would get one for a display model, then thought I ought to get some track to run it on. Then I thought ... two would be good ..... then of course a spare standby loco is always a good idea ...... and perhaps two double headers would be cool ....

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm

French Chuffed wrote:
.Paul, you have a great collection of motive power. I especially like your green U class and the one with the larger coal storage. On my wish list for sometime.

As a late comer to garden railways, I have been very lucky in getting the stock I was after, and some at very good prices.

[img]Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 Post-119[/img]
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Love the 2095 and the 2091 too.........

[img]Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 Post-130[/img]
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 8:52 pm

That's obviously a picture 'from the archives' Paul! Those locos are looking way too clean! Nice pic though
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 12:41 pm

clive_t wrote:
That's obviously a picture 'from the archives' Paul! Those locos are looking way too clean! Nice pic though

Thanks Clive Very Happy Funnily enough, with the exception of the 2095's roof, these two locos remain unweathered.
Both have been fitted with sound though - Massoth in the bo bo and an LGB European generic unit in the 2091
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am

Hello, I'm new here, but know plenty of the guys here already.

Why did I go continental? I guess it just happened around 18 months ago. I been into OO Britsh Std for many years, loved std gauge British Steam locos. I never really even thought about European trains or narrow gauge.

Then around 3 years ago I decided to buy a caravan by the seaside for family holidays (we've 2 young girls who were 2 and 6 months old at the time, going away for the week was a nightmare, you needed a transit van to fit evertything you needed in! also the wife does not like flying).

My family is from Angelsey so I've always been on hols in that part of Wales. I'd been going to Porthmadog since I was around 5 so it was the ideal base. I found I was becoming more and more interested in the Narrow gauge lines there, and decided I prefered them to Std Gauge presevered lines.

Tried a bit of 009, far too small. Then at the Telford Model show in Mar 07 picked up an LGB toytrain starter set (Otto 2 yellow wagons and an oval of track) why? well I just liked it, reminded me of the little NG trains in North Wales. I knew very little about LGB (lots of people would say I still don't!!). The whole family fell in love with the set, the wife wanted the garden revamping and I asked could we have a small garden railway, to my suprise she was all for it.

I found through GSM that there were several people in the local area with garden railways, and got lots of help and advice. The line first ran on a simple dog bone oval around April 07 and its been growing ever since, to around 300 foot of track now. I've found LGB stock to be the best by far so have a 99% LGB stock policy mostly German/Austrian stock, I'll post some pics later on.

Alec
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 2:57 pm

Welcome Alec and we look forward to seeing some of those pictures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did we go Continental?   Why did we go Continental? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why did we go Continental?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2