Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Monsieur le Facteur 1910

Go down 
+2
clive_t
mikeyh
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Monsieur le Facteur 1910 Empty
PostSubject: Monsieur le Facteur 1910   Monsieur le Facteur 1910 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:53 pm

This is another of the 'pegmen' made from a 'dolly peg 'and a bit of baked clay. I know it sounds like an anoraky rivet counter but I contacted the Museum of La Poste in Paris for the colours of the uniform in 1910,( all my postcard images are B & W) they were extremely helpful and have sent me loads of 1910 info. apologies for the picture quality, my little point-and-shoot isnt up to focusing on figures indoors very well!

Monsieur le Facteur 1910 Demiel316

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Monsieur le Facteur 1910   Monsieur le Facteur 1910 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Looks well in focus to me, Mikey!

Incidentally, i take it that's "Mr Postman"? Google Translate says it's "Mr. Factor"!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Monsieur le Facteur 1910   Monsieur le Facteur 1910 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm not quite sure where the origin of the use of this word 'facteur' came from.

Latin roots as factor and it also has the same meaning and sense as with the English word.

But as a name for a postman I don't know.

After all there is a 'burueau de poste' so why not 'homme (ou femme) de poste'

Children here play many games (even on horseback) and sing songs associated with 'monsieur le facteur' ou 'Mme la factrice'. An important part of French culture just as the postie in Great Britain.

Be careful with female version I once called our post lady 'factice' missing out the 'r' thus meaning 'dummy'. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Monsieur le Facteur 1910   Monsieur le Facteur 1910 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:35 pm

They also have a school for les Facteurs as Jacques Tati showed us:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5lp93_lecole-des-facteurs-tati_creation

Some neat railway shots a bit of the way in, including the required railbus for Carl.

Nice figure Mike, and maybe the black and white movie can help with the proper uniform colors? Razz
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Monsieur le Facteur 1910   Monsieur le Facteur 1910 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I'm not quite sure where the origin of the use of this word 'facteur' came from.

Latin roots as factor and it also has the same meaning and sense as with the English word.

Children here play many games (even on horseback) and sing songs associated with 'monsieur le facteur' ou 'Mme la factrice'. An important part of French culture just as the postie in Great Britain.

Be careful with female version I once called our post lady 'factice' missing out the 'r' thus meaning 'dummy'. Embarassed

In this sense, "facteur" or "factor" means "agent". If you look up "facteur" in the french wiktionary, the word "agent" is used in the definition. An agent of La Poste, n'est ce pas?

BTW, I like your little Facteur, Mikey.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Monsieur le Facteur 1910   Monsieur le Facteur 1910 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:19 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

English used to have "factor" as a word for a merchant concerned mainly in trade, so obliged to move goods from place to place. See John Barth's novel The Sot-weed Factor about a tobacco trader. I loved "le facteur" for postman when I was learning French at school. Unfortunately, my French neighbours now seem to use the prosaic "M. le postier". Mikey's is of course un vrai facteur Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monsieur le Facteur 1910   Monsieur le Facteur 1910 Empty

Back to top Go down

Monsieur le Facteur 1910
Page 1 of 1