Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Live Steam LGB Frank S

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

GWhizz

Live Steam LGB Frank S Empty
PostSubject: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:09 pm

Some of you LGB buffs may be interested in this?

Aster Frank S Live Steam LGB Frank S 969897
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks Brian for posting.

Very interesting to find a new one. I haven't bothered to try and translate the German to find out why but there are reports that LGB kept a small batch of these tucked away.

I'm sure someone might be interested but not me.

I've seen and played with these but I just don't like them and the way they run.
Others are absolutely crazy about them and I expect that will sell very quickly.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 7:10 pm

Oh crap !
This is the first time I've been in for ages, and I thought I would be good and upload an avatar before reading this, the first post that caught my attention. Well, I like my Frank S.
To be fair, it does have some bad habits, like most steamers, but its streets ahead of the Accucraft budget stuff.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:40 am

Long time no see, Dave! I'd like to see some more pics of your loco in action if you have them available.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 7:01 pm

clive_t wrote:
Long time no see, Dave! I'd like to see some more pics of your loco in action if you have them available.

Seconded here Dave. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:09 pm

I'll do my best at the weekend. Sunday is playday with a bit of luck......
Mind you I'm still catching up with the good reading on here.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Good to have you back Dave, with or without Frank S.... Surprised

I'm surprised the one in the link above didn't sell for 950€

There were a number of irritating problems with some batches of these...and yes I know they were reportedly made in one batch of 3000. But that was over a long period and during that period seals were improved and minor adjustments made. Many people received very good ones but some people bought monsters.

It is still very pleasant to see one running as with all live steam engines.

Have you had yours from new?
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:13 am

I don't know much about the history as they were out of my reach when they came out.I think the 'one batch' related to the Aster bits - I understand that Aster only build one batch of anything. I bet the trouble started when LGB started assembling them.
I bought mine from Germany a couple of years ago for 700€ inc dealer fitted radio. It was hardly used, and the only point I would find fault with is the spongey gas valve - even that is probably just an O ring. The gas tank is very prone to priming, but a fellow owner explained the best firing ritual. The R/C was a dead loss so I disconnected it - mind you on my current line its a hindrance rather than a help.
In some respects it was ahead of the game - the burner is made out of perforated stainless - effectively a mesh burner, and its nicely detailed. Certainly its a very smooth runner, and, yes,a little uninteresting sometimes. I have resisted the temptation to tinker. It can keep its condensate trap and oversized kiddy controls. That way, any visitors who want to can have a go. Finally, its a model of a real engine,rather than a miniature - a concept we all appreciate.
Anyway,piccies to follow at the weekend.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 7:10 pm

Well, I managed to get Frank S out for a run today. A nice day for a steamer, so I shot you a little bit of video.

Frank S on the Cottam Strassenbahn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Ooo splendid, I had a very early one bought new for christmas when the 1st ones arrived here in the USA. Mine steamed very well straight from the box I thought, but as it was my 1st live steamer I guess I wouldn't really know one way or T'other! After I fitted the R/C it just got better I remember it being a bit fast until I had used it for a bit but with a good load on it it ran really slowly with full control. I sure wish I had it back now though perhaps when the economy kick's back in..............................
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:14 pm

dtsteam wrote:
Well, I managed to get Frank S out for a run today. A nice day for a steamer, so I shot you a little bit of video.

Great video Dave - I really enjoyed that.
If you get fed up with Frank, you know who to Call ! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Nice vid Dave - some decent steam plumes there, thanks for posting. I didn't realise those locos were so quiet!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 am

paul stainz holt wrote:
dtsteam wrote:

Great video Dave - I really enjoyed that.
If you get fed up with Frank, you know who to Call ! Laughing Laughing

Yes Call Paul!! the one in the USA.......................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live Steam LGB Frank S   Live Steam LGB Frank S Empty

Back to top Go down

Live Steam LGB Frank S
Page 1 of 1