Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back and the snow

Go down 
+15
mikeyh
markbiff
David Grantham
bruce
fm12
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
Sparkeswood
French Chuffed
Spule 4
philkelly
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

Back and the snow - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 pm

So how's that global warming thing working out for you all?

Some great photos of the snow on the internet - just glad I don't have to deal with it.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 am

paul stainz holt wrote:
Thank you Paulus.....another picture

Back and the snow - Page 5 Dscf1115

Even Better! Welcome back Paul!
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 1:03 am

KleineDicke wrote:
So how's that global warming thing working out for you all?

Exactly. Back and the snow - Page 5 317298

Colder than normal here in the SE-USA also, caling for snow this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 7:14 am

Global warming is still here, the things is we are possibly now in a solar minimum so it's colder in winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am

Won't be playing outside today - Brrrr Back and the snow - Page 5 499412

Back and the snow - Page 5 Img_9710

Back and the snow - Page 5 Img_9810

The railway is under 15cm of snow!
Back and the snow - Page 5 Img_9711
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 am

That looks very seasonal, scale snow of about 10 feet which would stop most railways.
Best stay indoors and keep the fire well fed with logs.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
Global warming is still here, the things is we are possibly now in a solar minimum so it's colder in winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

Exactly. Back to my climate and geology coursework in college for my degree in environmnetal sciences, all of this is cyclical (plus having lived as a child in an area that had both glacers and tropical plants in its lifetime and evidence of both) and the climate changes quite regularly.

The real problem is the modern idea that we as humans impact it on a global scale (locally is a VERY different story) or could even control it. But when you dig, you find these claims are often driven by those who can profit from it.

Snowing here now too, but not sticking....yet!
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:09 pm

With the recent volcanic activity around the world, and close to home in Iceland cooler winters are inevitable I am lead to believe, but I don't have a degree in enviromental science.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 12:10 am

French Chuffed wrote:
With the recent volcanic activity around the world, and close to home in Iceland cooler winters are inevitable I am lead to believe, but I don't have a degree in enviromental science.

VERY true, look back over historical volcanic activity Vs. winters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Colder than normal here in TN for the next two weeks. But then the farmer's Almanac and deer (thicker coats) are the indicators too!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 6:31 pm

More snow in France. Looks like Paris is getting it this time; CDG is closed and the buses aren't running.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_re_eu/eu_europe_weather_1
Back and the snow - Page 5 943112
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 7:12 pm

We have 20 cm in the garden, I don't remember having so much here.
Had to use a spade to remove the snow in the garden pass to the gate, usually a brush is sufficient.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Yep....Paris copped it today. Wifey was having trouble getting back (she works there). Most trains delayed but still running.

Peripherique was gridlocked and virtually no road traffic in the centre. Wife's sister took 5 hours to do a 30 km journey Paris to suburbs.

Here in sunkissed Haute Normandy we had a deluge of snow this morning but after lunch the mercury rose to a balmy 2° Back and the snow - Page 5 54349

We are due some more next week though!
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 9:04 pm

My wife still on the motorway, she left meaux arround 19h30 and she's only now next to lognes 22h00 so quite a long journey for 20 km still 10 to do on local road with cars abandonned everywhere.
We have some friends 2 km away from her current location, she may stay there if she cannot make it.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 8:08 am

I hope she got back okay. There is still a lot of snow in Paris but sunshine this morning.

Monsieur meteo says Back and the snow - Page 5 501374 but Back and the snow - Page 5 101635

No snow here but serious (perma)frost.

Back and the snow - Page 5 Frosty10

The resident wagons were 'stuck' to the track.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Yes she got home ok, after 3h30 of driving (for 30km) in first gear and impossible to use the usual way out on the motorway too many abandonnned cars and the slope was too sleepery.

This morning she tried to bring the children to school, but after spending 30 minutes doing only 2 km on the motorway again, they went back home to spend a nice day building a snow man.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Here we go again..... Back and the snow - Page 5 943112

It's been snowing for about 18 hours almost continuously now, and at least 1 cm per hour with no sign of abating.

The main N13 will be impassable very soon, we had to turn back earlier because of the blizzard.

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowhe10

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowhe11

Orange alert for the forecast across the northern half of France.

And BTW we have been here in Normandy exactly one year today.
Happy anniversary....not....and the weather was exactly the same then!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 7:34 pm

What a strange Sunday.

It started snowing like I've never seen in my life at 0700 and stopped at about 1300 after a fall of around 30 cms. Then a slight thaw this evening followed surely by a big freeze tonight.

Stupidly we tried to go shopping this afternoon after the snow stopped. The shop (that was meant to be open) was closed and coming back I lost control, skidded, narrowly avoiding a ditch and other cars but blocked the main road.....
Wifey was petrified...took nearly an hour to do 10 kms.

Here are a few pics chez nous....getting increasingly fed up of snow and there are another 4 months until spring.

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu11

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu12

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu13

I'm sure there was a railway here....

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu14

We just love these creatures....
10 months old now and overweight on carrots.

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu15

Baaaaa, and I love you too.... but okay where's the food then?
Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu16

okay...if there's no food then I'll have your glove...
Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu17

But that's my glove not yours...
Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu18

We don't really like gloves so what else have you got?
Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu19

Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu20

And somebody had to try and clear the snow....
Back and the snow - Page 5 Snowsu21
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Piccy 7 - I see they found where you buried the MIL, so piccy 11, you'll just have to try harder Carl.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Just glad you are all safe Carl, build a big fire indoors and stop doing silly things like going shopping. It’s been 11 degrees here today after a bit of rain first thing this morning, really nice….
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 9:16 pm

dtsteam wrote:
Piccy 7 - I see they found where you buried the MIL, so piccy 11, you'll just have to try harder Carl.

She's coming soon, so maybe...just maybe....

And yes shopping is daft activity in 20+cm of snow..apparently the shop closed (L'Eclerc) because of a lack of customers...
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:10 am

Doomed...

From saturday to sunday, it snowded again, cleared the alley and the trottoir, sunday evening it rainned nearly all snow gone, hourra

This morning we got up back to the same point as sunday morning, and it's still snowing......

Ps my wife's car is somewhere on a supermarket car park, saturday it snowned nearly 20 cm where she worked, she walked about 4 km to a railway station , at list the trains where allright, she took the train this morning and walked back to work

Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112 Back and the snow - Page 5 943112
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 am

We've having more snow again today at least 5 cms and still falling.

This is on top of the freeze last night.
So you can imagine that if things continue we shall save the last tin of cassoulet we have for Christmas dinner.

Some of the garden is under nearly a metre of snow now.

They predict a slight thaw this afternoon but Monsieur menteur Meteo's credibility is not good.

Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 am

You'll need some ski to do the shopping now, quicker than a car, or a horse and a trailer for snow.

We have food for several days here so not a problem, but I think the supermarket will not received lot's of supply if the weather stay like that, all the trucks are grounded.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Snow - what snow ?
Very Happy Back and the snow - Page 5 DSCN0986

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 3:49 pm

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.....

Not likely here in Houston, although it did happen a few years back - just an inch or two and it all melted away pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 5:19 pm

There's a myth in UK that the country stops after one snowflake and everyone else in Europe soldiers on regardless through blizzards...myth busted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Back and the snow
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next