Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back and the snow

Go down 
+15
mikeyh
markbiff
David Grantham
bruce
fm12
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
Sparkeswood
French Chuffed
Spule 4
philkelly
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
philkelly

Back and the snow - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 5:19 pm

There's a myth in UK that the country stops after one snowflake and everyone else in Europe soldiers on regardless through blizzards...myth busted.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 5:28 pm

A beautiful sunny day here today!

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Happy First Day of Winter to everybody. Here in Houston, the forecast is for around 80 deg F. I'm going to the beach with my daughters. The payback comes in August, though, when the temps don't go below 80 and neither does the humidity.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:08 pm

80F? Thats only 27C! I'd be wearing a jumper then!! sunny
mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 am

A new snow alert for north of France this afternoon, just when everything was going back to normal, still got snow on some roof, but not anymore in the street.

Here some news about global warming and more snow for europe.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-winters-driven-global-scientists.html
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:55 pm

mikeyh wrote:
80F? Thats only 27C! I'd be wearing a jumper then!! sunny
mikey
Perhaps you misunderstood me. Typical low temperatures in Houston during the summer are in the upper 70s/low 80s with nearly 100% humidity. If you've never experienced such conditions, believe me it's quite uncomfortable. The air is almost too thick to breathe. Thank God and Mr. Carrier for A/C.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
A new snow alert for north of France this afternoon, just when everything was going back to normal, still got snow on some roof, but not anymore in the street.

Here some news about global warming and more snow for europe.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-winters-driven-global-scientists.html

We're bracing ourselves again here. The roads are not really clear at all so any more snow will go straight on existing ice and compacted snow.

We still have about 30 - 40cms in the garden and the roof is still covered.

That coupled with the freezing fog and 50 metre visibility in places that we've had make for hazardous driving.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am

SO glad you’re enjoying your first winter out here in the sticks Carl. You have been far to cosseted living in the suburbs of Paris for so many years. ENJOY! santa santa Back and the snow - Page 6 317298
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:35 am

...It's actually our second winter now...

We moved here just before Christmas last year.

We spoke with the Mayor about the weather and he said that (one of) the reason the Normands invaded England was that they were in search of a similar climate and then he promptly asked if that was my reason for moving here. scratch

I'm writing a big list of things to do next summer (if that ever comes...) to prepare for next winter.

I was going to do that last year but most people said "oh don't worry it is an exception". Evil or Very Mad

The first thing is a small 4 X 4 as we can't afford the 70,000 euros for a second-hand.....

Back and the snow - Page 6 Antarc10

So we have a dealer at Lisieux that sells these for 11,000 euros brand new.

Back and the snow - Page 6 Gamme_10

It's amazing that they are still being manufactured.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 11:06 am

You will still need to get some decent SNOW / all terrain tyres; I have been waiting for four years for my smart motorway tyres to ware out on my Discovery so I can fit some decent ones.
Half the problem with modern transport is the tyres aren’t up to these conditions, articulated Lorries being the worse culprits....
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:17 pm

If you order the new 4WD from Dacia, cheap, and real 4X4 you have 6 month waiting for the delivery (it's on hight demand), it will be ready for the next winter.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 4:49 pm

This is how thick the snow is today in my garden. Trainservice has seized... It's a whole bigger problem for the little people you know... Back and the snow - Page 6 208384

Back and the snow - Page 6 S5007312

Back and the snow - Page 6 S5007311

It took me an hour to get to my work this morning (normally a 15 minute drive).
I had to stop because my windscreen wiper was frozen again and did not clean the window. I stopped at an unused busstop to clean the window and wiper. BAD IDEA! Snow was piled up so high at that place I had trouble to get away again from there. Under the snow there was a layer of ice!
Going back and forward several times and my Focus finally find some grip again.
Halfway a Suzuki Alto two cars in front of me decided to go sliding of a slope. Luckily nobody get hurt and I could drive further. Gasstation was snowed in (and I was almost out of it!). Than finaly reached my destination the parking on my work was completely snowed in... It took me five minutes to park the car in a bit of respectable way (stuck again...)!!!! Mad

I know there are some truckers over here, if you guys are still driving/working; YOU HAVE MY FULL RESPECT!!!

BTW I too did not know LADA still made Niva's! That IS surprising!
But waiting a year for a Dacia?

You can better go for this:

Back and the snow - Page 6 Track03

Back and the snow - Page 6 26531 Paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Back and the snow
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6