Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Back and the snow

Go down 
+15
mikeyh
markbiff
David Grantham
bruce
fm12
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Paul Stainz Holt
pjti
Sparkeswood
French Chuffed
Spule 4
philkelly
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Back and the snow - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

I don't think I'll ever (be able to) fill 800 sq metres with G scale. It is a nice dream though.

I have some other ideas for this non-domestic-use space.

For an initial small G scale layout I'm sizing up the front garden. See above picture with the car.

I'm not sure it will meet with domestic approval but that wall looks very unfinished with nothing on the top of it..... Razz

A CGT Open Day or weekend....mmm... I think it should happen.

I would certainly like to have some event here.

I will make another thread with a bit more thought for discussion.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Wot bad weather are we talking about ?
Have I missed something ?Back and the snow - Page 2 17945_227427717964_535832964_3317963_6125364_n
Back to top Go down
markbiff

markbiff

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 11:13 pm

good luck in the new house carl - does look rather nice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 9:21 pm

[quote="pjti"]Wot bad weather are we talking about ?
quote]

I presume that shot is looking North towards the blue skies over the border towards South West France???
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 pm

[quote="GWhizz"]
pjti wrote:
quote]

I presume that shot is looking North towards the blue skies over the border towards South West France???

You should be so lucky, it's Benidorm, and its just the same today, bit of a chill in the shade tho.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 5:02 pm

pjti wrote:

Do you mean this bad weather. Exclamation

Back and the snow - Page 2 Snow110

Nearly 20 cms at 17h00 and still falling.

We tried to get to Bernay this afternoon but had to turn back in blizzard conditions, 45 mins to cover 6 kms and we were lucky!

10 cms of snow fell from the sky in about 1 hour this afternoon and we are now close to being completely snowed in.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Well the snow has stopped here fo a while, our neighbours called round to see if we were ok and promptly cleared the road with a monster tractor excavator machine in the dark.

We are still on 'Alerte Orange' = severe weather warning and I see many more departements have been added to the list as the bad weather spreads South including Paris and further Charente and Gironde.

Brace yourself Brian and fellow Southerners. It comes in pretty damn quick with gusting winds.

Communiqué spéciale
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 8:18 pm

We are bracing for unusually cold blast here as well (as is most of the eastern 2/3 of the US). Our temperature is supposed to go to 20 degF or below and stay below freezing for perhaps 36 hours. Homes and especially plumbing is not built to withstand this sort of cold here in Houston. No snow or ice storm likely, though. Maybe a little sleet. It might warm up again next week. Nice days for garden railroading, eh what?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Get those pipes lagged Bill.

It's going to stay (well) below freezing here for another week at least according to Monsieur Meteo.

It's not been above zero celsius since before Christmas except for 1 day.

The MIL called from Corsica and said it was a chilly 12° there and she couldn't go swimming.Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 4:40 am

Same cold here in TN. Calling for 7F for the low on Saturday, and snow tomorrow. School already called off.

Congrats on the new house Carl. Also thanks for the well documented reason of why not to move in winter. Shocked

Jokes aside, good looking house, just hang in until spring.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

I took my wife to the staion this morning 40 minutes for a 12 minute journey, freezing fog, ice and.....it's snowing again today.

I don't how I'm going to pick her up this evening. It's getting pretty scarey out there even for experienced drivers.

No school for most kids either today.

I've ordered some snow chains which should arrive tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for the warnings Carl

We've been fairly lucky though, here in the soft South underbelly of France! Particularly compared to the UK and the North!

We had just 5cm last night, and services like the post and bread van have been getting through!

We do bring the horse and donkeys in at night though and are braced for the temperatures to plunge over the wekend, it's a balmy -1 C here at the moment! Might even run some trains!

Caro's due to fly Bordeaux - Gatwick on Suinday, but no BA flights went into Gatwick yesterday so we'll have to wait and see!

Hope things start to improve for you up North.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 am

There's less snow here next to your old house, but the weather condition are not really good as well, some snow (less), but with freezing condition.
Several days with - 8 °C, it was -4°C this morning and snowing.

We are seriously thinking of buying some winter tyres. But that's 800 € ....
At her work one bought some, there's a huge difference in driving.

It took 1 hour (instead of 20 minutes) this morning for my wife to drive the kids to school, we were in Vaires last night.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 am

Looking at the Comminiqué Spéciale today. We (l'Eure) are just off the 'alerte orange' and now 'risque importante' although close neighbouring Calvados is still 'orange'.

I see Charente and the west is off too and it looks like this snow storm passed and hit the Rhone valley instead.
Some departements, Drôme, Vauclause and Bouches de Rhône are on 'alerte rouge'.

I hate this weather. I wish I could hibernate.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 am

Agreed.

You're going to need that four wheel drive soon or surely before next winter.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

We had about 5cm here but its all melting now. roads just wet. son in law arrived back at Pompey on monday en route to carlisle. he's still not there!!

roll on spring, summer or even February!!

Still no trains running 'til i've sorted the slope on the track!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Very pretty outside and the snow's not melting yet...
Back and the snow - Page 2 Snow_111

The staff looked outside and decided it was too deep for clearance operations...
Back and the snow - Page 2 Snow_211

So no trains running on the CFHC today ...
Back and the snow - Page 2 Snow_311

And the equines can't wait to get back in the stable...
Back and the snow - Page 2 Snow_510
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Bearcastle wrote:

You're going to need that four wheel drive soon or surely before next winter.

...now where did I put my Pinzgauer?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 pm

KleineDicke wrote:

..now where did I put my Pinzgauer?

Do you mean the equestrian variety or Steyr-Puch monster machine?
Either would be better in the snow than our Fiat.....Laughing

Great pics Brian. Our neighbours have a donkey...and 2 goats!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Decidedly unpretty here, but I guess it really depends on (a) if you can get to work in it, and (b) if you are not in fear of having your derriere sued off should some numb-nuts slip over on the bit of public path outside your property line.

Indeed, for the second day in succession I have been unable to get to work here, thanks to some nigh-on impassable side-streets in Portsmouth. So instead, I spent the morning and some of the afternoon clearing something loosely describable as a 'path' for the general public to wander past my property in relative safety.

However, I have managed to loose off a few shots of the S&CGR, which as one might expect is finding challenges aplenty in operating anything like a normal service...

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow1

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow2

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow3

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow4

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow5

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow6

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow7

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow8

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow9

Back and the snow - Page 2 2010_Snow10

Finally, I would like to illustrate the fact that contrary to popular belief the world over, the British people are fully prepared for these sorts of adverse weather phenomena. Here's one of me salting the path from my front door to the gate. And it only took me 3 hours to clear 2 metres as well:

Back and the snow - Page 2 Snow_clearance_UK_style
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 pm

They've decided that the safest way to protect other road users from my van is to send an ambulance in first... Wink

Back and the snow - Page 2 S'oaks
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:

..now where did I put my Pinzgauer?

Do you mean the equestrian variety or Steyr-Puch monster machine?
Either would be better in the snow than our Fiat.....Laughing

And neither one would rust away as quickly, either.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Clive:
What a master modeller you are. How do you manage such realistic looking snow effects on your layout? It almost looks real.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 am

Takes a While, Bill - each flake is hand made, but it's worth the effort I feel... Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 1:46 pm

As forecast, the temperature dropped to minus 7 this morning, but as the sun is out, it was imperative to run a train.

So donning my Arctic flying suit, took the Edrig for a spin...
Back and the snow - Page 2 Edsnow10

No problem seeing steam plumes in this weather...
Back and the snow - Page 2 Edsnow11

Back and the snow - Page 2 Edsnow12

The biggest problem was persuading Caro to come out and take the pics!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 12:02 am

I really feel for you lot! were suffering from the cold at 50f today I had to put a sweat shirt on at work it got so cold!
But really glad the move went safely Carl and I have that Defender here ready for you!! ..................Paul............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back and the snow   Back and the snow - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Back and the snow
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next