Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Europe tour 2009

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Knotty Ash

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Wow Les Looks like you had a great trip. Steam, electric, diesel, you covered the lot! Thanks for sharing

mikey
Back to top Go down
Knotty Ash

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 pm

[quote="mikeyh"]Wow Les Looks like you had a great trip. Steam, electric, diesel, you covered the lot! Thanks for sharing

mikey[/quote
Thanks Mikey we also took in the Kent Railway on the way home, also spent 2 days going around the Somme area as my Father was there in the Great War Les
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Home is where the Harz is... Laughing

That railway alone has tempted me to move to Germany. Too late now in this life of course.

If you have any more pics or details of your itinerary in that region I will be very interested.

My first knowledge of this amazing narrow gauge network was on a rather provocative army exercise close the then East/West border near the 'Brocken'.
This was once a cold-war spy station way up in the beautiful Harz mountains.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 am

A nice collection of photographs, thanks for posting them, especially the Austrian ones.
Back to top Go down
Knotty Ash

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 10:54 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Home is where the Harz is... Laughing

That railway alone has tempted me to move to Germany. Too late now in this life of course.

If you have any more pics or details of your itinerary in that region I will be very interested.

My first knowledge of this amazing narrow gauge network was on a rather provocative army exercise close the then East/West border near the 'Brocken'.
This was once a cold-war spy station way up in the beautiful Harz mountains.

I do have many more of the Harz, the spy station is now a hotel and there is a new vistors centre, a lot of work beening done at the top of the Brocken, I will try and put more on if you wish. I could have stayed there a week in the area, perhaps I might go there again but it is a long way. Les
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Yes please Les, post away.

I can't believe that after all this time they would make that place a hotel.

I remember clearly looking up at the two white domes flanking the tall red and white mast.
We used to exercise a lot on the Luneburg heath and travel south deliberately on circular convoys from Wolfsburg or Braunschweig (Brunswick) just to keep the border guards busy.
I even had a girlie at Braunschweig for a while. Lena or Lana was here name I think and she worked in a baker's shop. Laughing

I never knew at first about the railway but we could never have visited it because it was definitely off limits!

I must visit there again though.

I bet she's a grannie by now. silent
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Carl:
I don't know if you know this, but there are webcams showing Brocken on the HSB website.

There are other webcam views of the HSB as well- if you click on the binocular icon you'll get a pop up with a list of them.
Back to top Go down
Knotty Ash

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 am

KleineDicke wrote:
Carl:
I don't know if you know this, but there are webcams showing Brocken on the HSB website.

There are other webcam views of the HSB as well- if you click on the binocular icon you'll get a pop up with a list of them.

Very sorry chaps I losted my password again and I always get in a mess, Some chaps from LGB Snobs are going to the Harz shortly but I already have booking for the dates otherwise I would have gone, Hope you are all keeping well. will try and get some more pics for you Les
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Europe tour 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe tour 2009   Europe tour 2009 Empty

Back to top Go down

Europe tour 2009
Page 1 of 1