Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

French Army on Manoeuvres

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 4:18 pm

The cylinders are 5cm lengths of painted dowel, the valves are parts of brass presstud fittings, the pipes are electrical wire glued in to a block, the main pipe is more electrical wire but thicker;

French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 Demiel377

the gondola wis made from nails inserted through drilled holes in the base, then twine is woven to get a 'basket' look. the balloon is an old football bladder slightly inflated;

French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 Demiel378

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Compl├Ętement.......dingue ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Perhaps a spray of khaki paint over the black football bladder to make it look more military? Other than that, a pretty good job!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 5:40 am

strangely enough Martin, Khaki wasnt adopted by the French military until late 1915. Their uniforms in 1910 were still the blue jackets and red trousers (they changed once they realised that the red spot on top of their Kepis made such an attractive target). The balloons were made of vulcanised gutta percha, and due to the poor dyes of the day were all (all countries) either grey or even orange. There are a few bits and pieces of detail to add but I'm pleased with the scene.

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 5:45 am

Completely crazy? I dont know. For me the character of a train is defined by the scenery in which it runs. my definition of an interesting garden railway has always been a series of realistic scenes linked by a railway. I find nothing bores me quicker than a train just going round and round at either ground level or at an elevated height. One of the reasons i set demiel in 1910 is the challenge of making scenes that one wouldnt normally see in this day and age, plus its a bit different!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 7:10 am

mikeyh wrote:
Completely crazy? I dont know. For me the character of a train is defined by the scenery in which it runs. my definition of an interesting garden railway has always been a series of realistic scenes linked by a railway. I find nothing bores me quicker than a train just going round and round at either ground level or at an elevated height. One of the reasons i set demiel in 1910 is the challenge of making scenes that one wouldnt normally see in this day and age, plus its a bit different!

mikey

O dear Mikey, you had better not visit my railway, as I think it will be in your boring category. Trains running round with a few buildings dotted here and there.
sunny sunny affraid

Peter
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 am

How can you say that Peter? A brewery with smoking chimney?, a canal water feature?, loads of track, sidings etc? Na that aint boring.

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 5:21 pm

The trains will still go round and round, with far fewer buildings than you. I hope to make some progress this year in making it look ‘more finished’ but who knows. I am not into dioramas as you are, its just an excuse to run trains.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:38 am

I guess that's the beauty of a hobby such as this - it can give great joy to everyone in totally different ways. Personally, I think both of your respective layouts are interesting in different ways - as indeed are the many others that have been shown on here.

Clive

Fat Controller of the Great Unfinished Railway, formerly the S&CGR
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:03 am

Quite agree Clive. I should perhaps have said that nothing bores me quicker than a train going round and round with nothing to reflect the character of the train. I've seen some interesting garden lines where the train winds through bushes, cuttings, embankments, tunnels, with not a building in site. The background itself becomes part of the line. So many facets to enjoy in this hobby.

mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: French Army on Manoeuvres   French Army on Manoeuvres - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

French Army on Manoeuvres
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: