Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga

Go down 
+6
Bearcastle
KleineDicke
pjti
Carl Hibbs
mikeyh
David Grantham
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
David Grantham

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyTue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Some pictures of David Grantham's Spanish themed railway, the FC GVC.

Scratch built Baldwinesque 2-8-0 using Roundhouse boiler and cylinders

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Covado14

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Covado15

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Covado16

Visiting SR&RL 2-6-2 on the east reversing loop avoiding Villaviciosa Puerto station

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0010

Villaviciosa Puerto with old liveried FEVE BoBo on the avoiding line and new livery ready to depart

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0011

VP from the buffer stops

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0012

Scratch built composite brake/luggage/passenger car

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0013

Pneumatic point control box using home made actuators and EZ Air cylinders and components

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0014

Product from the local granite quarry. Approximately £30 per ton !!!!

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0015

West reversing loop and junction for the extension to the sunken stock shed (Covadonga)

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0016

Hollybush tunnel halfway bewteen the reversing loops still awaiting installation of the tunnel mouths to hide the tube pipe

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0210

West reversing loop and junction inside long curved tunnel awaiting completion of the extension and landscaping

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0110

The extension. Another larger reversing loop and an incline into the below ground stock shed.
A learning exercise as to what can happen, if you're not careful, when your local builders merchant has some bricks for sale on special offer.
This is definitely the last major earthworks to be undertaken before I sell the cement mixer.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0111

The stock shed to be connected via an incline which, due to a miscalculation of the water table, may need to be rope worked

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0112

Overview of VP and east loop end from above west loop tunnel

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0113

Feve mixto leaving hollybush tunnel
What a relief FEVE used black transfers as I could never figure out how to make white ones on my computer

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0212

Mixto entering west loop tunnel

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0214

Site of Empalme Apardearo (Junction Halt) Had not realised that my wife had inserted a 1:1 plant pot onto railway property.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0222

Very naughty. A rear brake lamp on the second last vehicle. Disciplinary meeting rearranged for tomorrow.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0215

Scratch built bogie van. Amazing how much fun one can have sticking individual planks onto a ply body.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0219

Overview of west loop from VP

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0218

Inside the stock shed. This shed has been dismantled twice and raised each time by 3 inches to avoid water collecting in the pit, despite a large soakaway. An electric pump was tried but a sensor is not as reliable as a soakaway providing the water table does not keep rising. Shed is now safe from flooding but the gradient will be about 1 in 25 which means I will need to build something powerful enough to move stock from the shed to the main line

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0220

First batch of a couple of coaches CNC milled from 4mm birch ply. 4 more to follow

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Cgt_0221
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Just a few more pics of the extension works that are nearly complete and ready for tracklaying.

Like the Spanish prototype earthworks are heavy and I will be quite happy when I have finished all this muck shifting.

I also admit to a terrible inadequacy to over engineer, particularly with concrete, and my wife thinks we could have incorporated a nuclear bunker, under the railway, for little ectra cost and effort.

Originally and until yesterday the line up into the stock shed was going to diverge to the right of the main line and rise into the shed crossing over the main line just before the shed. Because of clearances, gradients and aesthetics the shed line will now diverge on the left of this picture and curl alongside the main line to get into the shed at a point about 10 ins below the existing shed hatch.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Dscf0012

Cain Howley stone bridge that will be separated by a Brandbright box girder bridge to provide the clearance over the waterfall. This configuartion fits into the existing hole by the "pond". Not so much a pond more a reservoir for the waterfall. If it proves successful I suppose we might increase this in size to something more ambitious but for now the planned feature is the waterfall and bridges rather than the "pond"

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Dscf0020

Extension diverges from the main line here and crosses the main access path

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Dscf0021

The area between the main line and the slab retaining wall, which is now free because the shed line comes off to left of the main line, would make a nice station/steam up area and some much needed storage sidings.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Dscf0022

The "pond" and an indication of the nuclear surviveable track bed. 50mm of hard core, 100mm of concrete, 25mm of mortar and 100mm breeze block.
Should last a while without frost heave or maintenance.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Dscf0023

More to follow in a couple of weeks time when tracklaying begins.

Last edited by David Grantham on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 4:39 am

Fantastic progress David - on the home Straight, or should I say Curve !

Don't sell the cement mixer though - you're bound to want another extension later!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Birthday card received from my sister in Montignac. I hasten to add this is via Photoshop and is not a real Tomas.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 David_10
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 3:07 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Birthday card received from my sister in Montignac. I hasten to add this is via Photoshop and is not a real Tomas.

....Looks real enough to me. I reckon you've sold all the Spanish stock and bought a load of troublesome trucks to go with Thomas and friends.... We don't mind here if you have...It's your railway...Laughing

¡Feliz cumpleaños!
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 1:47 pm

This is (I think ) the real thing http://john743.fotopic.net/p41644212.html
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:11 am

Partially completed Covadonga HEP. Most water features are natural or ornamental. This one is industrial !!!

Inspired by Carl's live diesel I thought that it would be worth generating my own electricity to power the OHW industrial line to be built.
For now though the miniature generators are not connected because the UK water authorities are not keen to provide free electricity via
their mains. ('Laughing')

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Hep_0014

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Hep_0015

Last edited by David Grantham on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:58 pm

I think you copied and pasted the photo addresses as links instead of images.

I've pasted them as images as you can see now.

Interesting idea and intriguing construction.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:05 am

Thanks Carl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:57 pm

This is a really nice and inspiring railway, something to aim for. I really like the homemade buffers. I look forward to more pics. Cool
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 4:56 pm

BTW David how is your live diesel coming on please?
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Carl, no progress on the live diesel since early 2010 due to time constraints.

All efforts have gone into completing the extension to the railway, which is well behind schedule and will not be completed now until mid October. Additionally I had to cancel the mini open day due to lack of progress.

I expect to get back onto the live diesel from November, when outside work is much less attractive in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Some great work here! I love the scratchbuilded rolling stock!
Great layout also; I never seen pneumatic controlled turnouts before. Very inventive!

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi David

could you possibly take some photos of how the bogies are attached to your loco and email me them please:

and could you also have a picture of your hand or something i can relate to next to the loco so as i can get the scale or size of your machine please?

Last edited by antonr91 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 8:20 pm

What a wonderful railway......a credit to you David.
Please post some more photos, any aspect would be good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 8:44 pm

antonr91 wrote:
Hi David

could you possibly take some photos of how the bogies are attached to your loco and email me them please: "removed by me"

and could you also have a picture of your hand or something i can relate to next to the loco so as i can get the scale or size of your machine please?

Anton:
You might already know this, but posting your email address on an open forum is a good way to get lots of spam. Much safer to send a PM to the other member or if you must, post it as: antonrichards at hotmail dot co dot uk (bots are much less likely to spot it that way).
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 8:47 pm

KleineDicke thank you sooooooo much...i didnt know that and you may have just saved me there.. Smile

thank you

Anton
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
David Grantham

PostSubject: Osborne bullocks    Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Osborne bullocks.

No not a reference to Wednesdays UK budget but the fact that I have underscaled my brandy advert at about 30%. I guess it should have been about 55% and hope my son. who enjoys filing aluminium, will make me a bigger one.

Question for Patrick. Are these illuminated at night.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Dscf0113

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Dscf0114
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Nice idea! That will ad some extra ambience to your layout.

I don't know for sure, but I think these are not lighted at night (at least not standard, perhaps some are).

Many pictures, also by night/twilight, can be found on:
The worlds best photo's of Osborne bulls

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 4333368604_1cda4d9fee_t
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Paulus - loved the pictures on that link.

David - I have never seen one that is artificially lit but there are so many that it is possible some exist. Great idea BTW.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 1:18 pm

A little more progress on the ornamental section of the railway.
By ornamental I mean not protypically realistic and minimum maintenance, mainly agregate.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Pond_011

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Pond_012
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Great looking bridges!
(And a clever idea for that pondcover. I was fishing leaves last week in my minipond...)
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:47 am

El correo de Covadonga de la tarde llega Villaviciosa con Tomas

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Ace_210
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 pm

Esso es una muy bien locomotiva de vapeur
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:05 pm

The GVC extension was finally completed this week and the pictures show the first works train along the line. A full passenger service is expected to start on Feb 1st.

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex10

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex11

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex13

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex20

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex21

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex26

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex27

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex28
Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Gvc_ex29

Never in the field that was my garden has so much earth been moved by so few people to incorporate so little track.

The more observant will notice considerable scope for extensions, notably an industrialised mixed gauge track on the higher level to take a Regner. Additionally a lot more vegetation and a station and sidings need to be added at the exsiting level.

Now the track is completed for the time being, time to decide on whether to build the overall roof for Villaviciosa, complete the rake of 3 passenger coaches, start another Covadonga class or start up the live diesel again. OK live diesel it is.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:29 pm

...Did someone say live diesel.....? Laughing

The railway and construction look splendid David even in winter. And it looks like it's built to last.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga   Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gijon, Villaviciosa and Covadonga
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Garden railways-
Jump to: