Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New starter on the CFC...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

New starter on the CFC... Empty
PostSubject: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 5:50 pm

...just started this afternoon : Prospective new driver for the CFC diesel pictured above:

You'll know the format by now of course... the starter for 10:
New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver1

Plainly, this unfortunate individual has suffered the indignity (and doubtless discomfort) normally reserved for UK tax payers. The reason will become clear, I hope:

As he is intending to wear shorts to work, it followed that I might attempt to model his bare legs 'from scratch, with Milliput moulded around a copper wire skeleton:
New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver2

The rather inconveniently placed screw is there to act as the reference height for his bottom now that the legs have been sawn orf!

Finally for now, this is as far as I have got with the Milliput:
New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver3

Be warned, he's got a whole lot more weight to gain yet!

Stay tuned for the next installment....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 8:27 pm

thats what i call attention to detail Clive. you've even modelled his willy!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 8:35 pm

mikeyh wrote:
thats what i call attention to detail Clive. you've even modelled his willy!!
Mikey
Indeed, the MD reckons this is the sculptor's equivalent of an artist's self-portrait! affraid
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 11:01 pm

Well, I did warn you that there would be some serious crash weight-gain on this fella! I would say that this is certainly my first attempt at modelling G-scale moobs!

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver4
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 am

It could be a match made in heaven for my MIL. I love you

He has a name already and it is Nuncio Grisoni. He was a real Corsican and lived in the mountain chestnut forests of the 'Castaniccia'. He didn't drive a train but he always wanted to.

I was going to say that he's worth his weight in couplings but I see the trick now Clive. Laughing
The fatter you make him the more couplings you get.....he he!
Can he have a bald head or be going that way but with a moustache.

I would be interested to know how long you spend making him.
I've already made you a small batch of very slightly modified couplings which I will paint matt black unless you say not to.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 am

carl hibbs wrote:
I was going to say that he's worth his weight in couplings but I see the trick now Clive. Laughing
The fatter you make him the more couplings you get.....he he!
Can he have a bald head or be going that way but with a moustache.
*Dammit, he's on to me!!!*
I was going to fill the 'void' where the screw is currently parked with lead shot!

I envisaged he was going to be blessed with a very receding hairline, and a long, droopy 'mexican bandit' style tache. Whilst we're on the subject, I was going to make the hair, what there was of it, black? Also, I was going to have a 'tab' hanging out of the corner of his mouth. just say if you don't want that to happen. Would he have any kind of headgear? I don't know why, but I got it into my head that Corsicans wear what amounts to a knotted hankie on their heads!!! Also, by way of an indulgence, I shall attempt (for the very first time, without a safety net) to model bare feet but wearing flip-flops!

carl hibbs wrote:
I would be interested to know how long you spend making him.
I started actual work on the figure yesterday afternoon, and I guess all told so far I'd say it's only been about a couple of hours work - 3 hours tops. I use the term 'work' in its loosest sense of course - actual paid work could never be this much fun!

carl hibbs wrote:
I've already made you a small batch of very slightly modified couplings which I will paint matt black unless you say not to.
Yep, black couplings sound just dandy to me mate!

I am aiming to get this guy ready in time for next week, so I can bring him with me.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Some progress pics from yesterday:

Sourced a right arm from my box of parts. I needed to pare away at the 'shirt sleeve' moulding, to make it look like a completely bare arm:

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver5

On the other side I didn't have a lot to go with, so spurred on by my modest success with doing legs from scratch, I set him up with a copper wire arm, ending in a left hand from my parts box. This guy was looking kind of creepy by now:

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver5b

But I was able to do a bit of filling work which I needed to allow to harden - around the lower legs (cue jokes about the 'fatted calf' ho ho ho etc) and in part on the upper arms:

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver6

I also did some work on him this evening but I haven't taken any pics of that yet - hopefully tomorrow in some decent light, and you never know, maybe a bit more progress...
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 7:15 am

Nice one Clive! Excuse the lack of technical words, but is the white stuff and the brown stuff of the same hardness? Does it sand down evenly?

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 7:22 am

Yes they are a consistent hardness once the Milliput (the brown stuff) has gone off fully - after about 18 hours or so. I still have to go at it with a bit of sandpaper or a Dremel or whatever, but as I hope you'll see, it does sand down evenly - pics to follow later today!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 8:36 am

Actually, whilst I'm about it, can I drop in a shameless plug here:

[shameless plug]
I have made some very recent updates to my website; I did a page on sculpting a figure, which has lots of useful links in it:

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/figuresculpt.htm

Also I now have a "Who's Who" page profiling all the various figures I've made over the past 9 months or so:

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/whoswho.htm

[/shameless plug]
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 9:16 am

Excellent 'who's who' Clive! like a 'Models Re-united'

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 5:13 pm

Latest update:

Firstly, here's how he looked by the start of today:

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver7

I've attached a head, had a first stab at fattening the face up a bit, and also given him a quick undercoat spray to highlight any bits that need sanding.

I didn't like the hat - so it had to go. Here's a picture after I'd removed the hat, and given him a good Dremeling:

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver8

Finally, I felt I was able to apply the standard Corsican uniform (as I sees it). Vest, shorts, flip-flops:

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver9

I'm still not 100% happy with the face, but I think I can fatten him up a bit more, and maybe put some sort of grubby rag around his neck. Oh and I need to sort out something for him to hold in his right hand!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 pm

If you ever meet my friend Lucien who lives in the mountain village of Ota near Portu you will realise how close imagination and reality can be...... Shocked
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 9:14 am

So yesterday I fattened the face a bit, and added a tache and a sweat-rag round the neck. Then another going over with the spray primer:

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver10

And then, finally yesterday evening - 5 days after starting him, he was painted.

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver11

As a finishing touch I had made a bottle for him to hold, on which I wanted to put a 'Ricard' label - but couldn't find a suitable one on the net to copy and print small enough to fit.

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver11b
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 10:00 am

the Family is growing Clive!! what did you make the bottle from? (try googling just 'pastis' there are thousands of labels)

mikey
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 10:33 am

To be really accurate the most popular label for Pastis that they drink in Marseille or Corsica is '51'.

New starter on the CFC... Pastis10

I think I'll have one now actually....Cheers!....Saluté !
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Cheers Carl, I have grabbed that so if you feel you need to remove it, please do.

Mikey, the bottle was made using a tip I unearthed on another figure-making site: to make 'glass' bottles, you need to have a clear plastic moulding sprue from an old plastic kit that has clear plastic parts in them e.g. aircraft cockpit canopy or similar. I had some from an old Pola kit (with clear plastic for window glass). Because it was 'trapezoidal' in section, instead of the preferred round section, I had to pare it down and then sand it to a rough round section. I then heated it gently over a candle flame, and slowly pulled the ends of the sprue apart to get a rough 'bottle-neck' shape. Trouble was because of all the paring and sanding I needed, it was quite opaque.So I dipped it into some 'Clear-Fix' and allowed that to run very slowly down the bottle. I then allowed that to dry a bit before rolling it to a more cylindrical shape. Then applied the label of course.

... and now I have pleasure in presenting Msr. Nuncio Grisoni. He is, as I type, waiting at Scampington for the train to take him to chelles-sur-Marne! I suspect he will need some assistance getting to his feet, never mind getting into the train, judging by the empty bottle he is clutching!

New starter on the CFC... Cfc_driver12
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 2:46 pm

I know a lot of people who are going to be very amused at 'ExpoRail'.

Excellent.

I wonder what the Gendarme is going to say?

His full name is Nuncio Gianfranco Pasquale Grisoni.
His family come from Ortiporio but working in the chestnut forests (castagniccia) 2 hours a day was rather too much.
He then tried goat herding with his friend Paoli Fattinu but that meant getting up early so after staggering along the track home one day and meeting 'U Trinighellu' coming the other way he decided to try his non-drinking hand on the trains.
That was ideal.
With just one wobbly railcar a day from Ponte Leccia to Bastia in the winter, he didn't need to do anything exept press two buttons (marche/arrĂȘt) and shout obscenities at the odd passing motorist at level crossings.
Life has never been so good.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... EmptySat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Brilliant! Love it when theres a story as well! Thanks for that tip Clive. One wonders now whats next?

Mikey ( sipping a perroquet ;pastis and menthe, tastes like mouthwash,but has a pleasant result!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New starter on the CFC...   New starter on the CFC... Empty

Back to top Go down

New starter on the CFC...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Trackwork, Model figures, buildings and accessories-
Jump to: