Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

B and D 14.4v batteries

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

B and D 14.4v batteries Empty
PostSubject: B and D 14.4v batteries   B and D 14.4v batteries EmptySun May 30, 2010 11:09 am

a good tip if its useful to anybody. I run my LGB locos on Black and Decker 14.4v batteries (mainly because i want them to run slowly). the charger packed up recently so i searched the 'net and found it was possible to recharge them using a 12 v car battery charger. Being a bit nervous about electrics anyway I connected it up and gave it a blast for 5 seconds...no problem, so i left it on for 2 minutes. I literally saw the charge rate drop before my eyes and 2 mins later had a fully charged battery! This was 5 hours ago and the battery is still showing a 12v charge. I am now charging an old 28v B and D battery and monitering the charge. My thinking is that when it shows a charge of 12v thats enough to run the locos. So anybody got any old cordless tool batteries?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: B and D 14.4v batteries   B and D 14.4v batteries EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

It will be interesting to see how long your batteries live using this charger. I suspect their life will be shortened since they willl not be getting a full charge. BTW, I noticed yesterday at my nearby WalMart a B&D Universal charger - seems it will rapid charge just about any B&D battery 9.6 v and up. It was about $40.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: B and D 14.4v batteries   B and D 14.4v batteries EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Must admit that was one of my concerns. All I can say is that I had a 35 minute running session today with a charged 14.4v and it hadn't slowed at all at the end. 2 hours on charge and it was ready to roll. Over a period of time, who knows?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B and D 14.4v batteries   B and D 14.4v batteries Empty

Back to top Go down

B and D 14.4v batteries
Page 1 of 1