Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

reducing Flanges?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

reducing Flanges? Empty
PostSubject: reducing Flanges?   reducing Flanges? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 9:52 am

Some of the plastic wheels I have ,(not LGB), are riding up as they pass through the frogs. A simple reduction in the flange depth will alleviate this problem, but how to do it?. I thought of attaching a wheel in an electric drill and then while its spinning sand it down with my dremel, but that doesnt sound too precise. Anybody got any ideas/suggestions?

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

reducing Flanges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: reducing Flanges?   reducing Flanges? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 2:51 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Some of the plastic wheels I have ,(not LGB), are riding up as they pass through the frogs. mikey

You have reducing Flanges? 28942 people lying on your rails? affraid That would indeed cause a rough ride.Razz

I don't think I'd use a Dremel since that sounds like a recipe for removing too much flange. I would chuck the wheel axle in an electric drill as you planned but hold a file to the flange to cut the flange down. Clamping the drill in a vise would help; alternatively, you could hold the drill and clamp the file in the vise. I wouldn't worry too much about precision- just don't cut the flanges down too far.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

reducing Flanges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: reducing Flanges?   reducing Flanges? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks Bill. I like that.Far more control with a file!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

reducing Flanges? Empty
PostSubject: Re: reducing Flanges?   reducing Flanges? Empty

Back to top Go down

reducing Flanges?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Tips and advice-
Jump to: