Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike B

Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway Empty
PostSubject: Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway   Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Don't know if this is too big to be here but there's not much going on in this section sooo... http://www.mikebrown.me

This is the story of the ride-on garden railway my wife and I had in Buckinghamshire, UK before we moved to Spain.

Enjoy

Mike

Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway   Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 6:19 pm

This ride on railway stuff is an ongoing plan/desire here.

We have about an acre of mostly flat square land and I would like to build a ride-on tramway.

From other threads 7 1/4" and 5" have been considered, due to cost, ease (?) of building and availability.

However 2ft or rather 60cm has been considered too but I am put off by the opposite of the above considerations.
If they could be overcome then I would pursue it further.

I was intrigued to see your single handed tracklaying but after suffering a hernia earlier this year I think I would employ some assistance!
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway   Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:02 am

I got into 2ft gauge 1:1 scale just after I got married by a strange turn of events rather than planning.

My, then new, wife knew I was into trains as I was the joint owner/publisher and later editor of The Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review, a quarterly magazine that is still going strong some 20 years later still under the editorship of my old friend Roy Link. One sunny day I approached SWMBO and asked what she would think of me putting a railway round our (her) garden (I moved into her house when we were married!). To my delight she was quite enthusiastic and I promptly packed us off to the Garden Railway exhibition at Stoneleigh in Staffs. I took her round showing her all these nice G / 16mm scale items but noticed she was less than impressed and when questioned she told me she thought I had meant something we could ride on or in! Well, I thought my birthday and Christmas had come early! So I took her to the Maxi-Trak stand where her eyes lit up and she said that that was what she meant!

Now, we lived in Harrow, a suburb of London, at the time and 7 1/4in gauge was going to be a bit tight, also it was quite expensive too. I knew, (lots of connections in the right places due to the magazine) that for the same money as 7 1/4in I could get 2ft gauge and after not too much time we had settled on that and in 1994 we bought a complete Lister with roof and curtain sides for about 1500GBP. I began its restoration, not that it needed more than cosmetic, until we moved to just outside Buckingham in 1996 when we set about building a railway round the acre of back garden. The track was 20lb rail and sleepers 4 x 6in tanalised timber and funnily enough the cost per yard of track was, at the time, about the same as 7 1/4in track, what it is like now I don't know of course.

My method of track laying was born out of necessity as I broke my back in four places years before as so had to find other ways of doing things. The method I described caused me no strain as it was all a matter of balance and levers.

When we moved to Spain it really broke our hearts to take up and sell it all, but I was told to move to a warmer climate on health grounds so what could we do?

When we get big withdrawal symptoms we jump in the car and head off west along the coast and eventually arrive at the Rio Tinto Mines...

Cheers for now

Mike
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway   Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Trawling through some old threads, came across this one!

Any chance of you getting back into the bigger gauges Mike?

My thoughts are straying that way!

Started in N in 2003 via 00 0 and now in 45mm !

Where to go next?

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway   Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Mike:
What a rare and wonderful treasure you have in your spouse cheers . I can just imagine the reaction I'd get if I came home with a full sized locomotive and set it up in my backyard No . Its a shame you had to dismantle it, but your health must be top proirity.

I must have missed this when it was originally posted. Thanks for the bump, Brian Wink

"It is one of the happiest characteristics
of this glorious country that official utterances are invariably
regarded as unanswerable."
-Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty (HMS Pinafore)
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway   Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Mike:
What a rare and wonderful treasure you have in your spouse cheers . I can just imagine the reaction I'd get if I came home with a full sized locomotive and set it up in my backyard No .

Some of us are just plain lucky I suppose! Very Happy

Mike

PS. Marion was very flattered...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway   Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway Empty

Back to top Go down

Copper Beech Narrow Gauge Railway
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Ride on rail and tramways-
Jump to: