Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sunday glorious Sunday

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Sunday glorious Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 7:36 am

It's a chilly yet beautiful sunny day here just east of Paris.
Monsieur Meteo says "Il fait beau".
Wife and daughter are off to Disneyland.

I hope to get out in the garden today after doing a spot of housework...... Mad
There's a good possibility of some trains running and the opportunity to take some nice photos.

I have never seen the garden so green in Autumn and I may even have to cut the grass and do a bit of pruning!

And what is everyone else doing today?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 7:51 am

At this very moment i'm eating a bacon sarnie and drinking a fresh ground cup of coffee. the sun is out ( but it was a bit chilly last night) so things can be done!
1 tamping down of small calcaire (limestone) on trackbed, and then adding grey granite chippings.

2. Carry on landscaping.

3. do a bit of training with the donkey (hes 4 and i've only just started 'breaking' him in)

That will be about it for today. what a life!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 8:32 am

I bought a rare 2120D Stainz yesterday at an indoor G Scale Society meeting at Altrincham church Hall.
It needed a bit of TLC in the gearbox department (The front pair of driving wheels were out of gauge by 2mm (too wide).
The bearing surfaces on the axles were also dry, so a little palstic friendly oil was applied.

I have just been running her round the layout - she is running sweet as a nut now.

The only thing which doesn't work is the smoke unit............never mind, for £30.00, I can easily live with that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 8:57 am

Sounds like a bargain Paul. We go to a lot of brocantes, some of them are like car boot sales others more like jumble sales. I see the odd bit of tinplate railways but never seen LGB. I buy most of my stuff on french ebay, but compared to UK and German ebays there is never much on offer. Carl will probably agree that most of the decent stuff is sold at the expos (of which there are quite a few)

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 9:18 am

paul stainz holt wrote:

The only thing which doesn't work is the smoke unit............never mind, for £30.00, I can easily live with that. Very Happy

Paul, I happened to notice the other day that my local model shop had a wood-burning type smoke unit for a tenner - Not sure of the vintage of it, but the packaging looks old! I think it's one of those with the connection stud at the bottom, which is operated by rotating a metal contact onto it from the loco body? If you understand what I mean. If you want I can try and get down there today and buy it for you, send it on maybe? If it's not too late of course!

Let me know...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday EmptySun Oct 19, 2008 9:20 am

Quite right Mikey.

The secondhand sales at model fairs and shows are very popular, even manic and the Frenchies know when there's a bargain. If you do visit any be prepared to haggle and don't be put off if the seller says no at first.
When I was at Longueville Jean-Claude Grancher brought an LGB Crocodile to try on my layout. The price tag said 335€ and he managed to get it for 250€ cash.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Paul, I happened to notice the other day that my local model shop had a wood-burning type smoke unit for a tenner - Not sure of the vintage of it, but the packaging looks old! I think it's one of those with the connection stud at the bottom, which is operated by rotating a metal contact onto it from the loco body? If you understand what I mean. If you want I can try and get down there today and buy it for you, send it on maybe? If it's not too late of course!

Let me know...[/quote]

Yes it is the stud type Clive
Thanks for the kind offer......I can pick one up easily enough hereabouts to save you the trouble. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday glorious Sunday   Sunday glorious Sunday Empty

Back to top Go down

Sunday glorious Sunday
Page 1 of 1