Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Spanish Kraus 030

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pjti

A Spanish Kraus 030 Empty
PostSubject: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:17 am

I spied this on my travels the other day . It is a display together with the old station at Puente Viesgo in Cantabria. It is 1m guage 'Very Happy', built by Kraus in 1912, it said on a plaque that it worked for 70 years. The line is now a Via Verde ( green way ??) 8kms long, in it's day the line was 35km and ran from Astillero (just outside Santander) to Ontenado. Possibly for transporting minerals, it does mention "Industrial" on the plaque. The area is a glacial valley so the scenery is impressive and would make a great tourist line nowadays. The station building and platform are still intact and well presented. After I had taken my photo's I found other photographs on the web with the same engine dated March 2009, these showed the engine covered in birdlime and generally what one would call well weathered. The original resortaion was in 2004 so it seems as though the local council still carry out work on it to keep it presentable. Strangely the only translation I can find for the nameplate - Reyerta - means dispute or brawl. I was actually surprised that no one had unscrewed the letters from the nameplate. Enjoy.
A Spanish Kraus 030 Dscf0810
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:33 am

View of the platform, regretably none of the actual building, I liked the fancy ironwork although it did not look strong enough to support the canopy. The clock was interesting to me as I had not noticed this type before - the two faces where slightly angled outwards - see next pic. No graffiti on the benches either.
A Spanish Kraus 030 Dscf0811A Spanish Kraus 030 Dscf0812
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 am

Very nice Patrick, thanks for the pics.

I seemed to remember a couple of years ago FEVE were making noises about reopening the first bit of this line to a place called Saron which I think was also located on the incomplete Santander and Mediterranean (nearly wrote S&M) broad gauge line. Not heard anything since.

The loco is interesting in that according to "Locomotives and Railcars of the Spanish Narrow Guage Public Railways" the FC Astillero to Ontaneda did have two Krauss 030 tanks that were numbered 727 and 728 called Pisuena and Pas both built in 1901.

I will look through the book later today to see if I can find where the above loco came from.

David
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:56 am

Rayerta not listed in book on public railways so presumably an industrial engine. I found a description in Flikr that I translated through babelfish and got the following

"""
The locomotive steam Brawl of metric width (narrow route), model 030T, was constructed in Munich by the German company Lokomotivfabrik Krauss & Comp. Aktiengeselschaft in 1912. This machine of train of industrial use served until half-full of years 70. Next to other five steam locomotives that still remain in our region (3 Maria, Udías, Anita 6, Begoña and Peñacastillo), she has been including in the General Inventory of the Cultural Patrimony with the category of Inventoried Good, like important part of the scientific and technical patrimony of Cantabria, as she appears in the Government reporter of Cantabria of date 26 of February of 2003: " Name of the locomotive: Brawl. Width: 1000 mm. Type of locomotive: 030 T. Constructor: Krauss. Construction Nº: 6800. Year: 1913. Origin: New Quijano Mountain. Country: Germany. Present location: Old station of FEVE, Viesgo Bridge. Proprietor: City council of Viesgo." Bridge; The City council of Viesgo Bridge, in memory and tribute to the FF.CC. Ontaneda shipyard and its people, ordered to the factory of restoration of Luis Suárez in Carrejo and after several months of works it was transferred in placed May of 2004 and in a change of routes next to the old one drawing up of the railroad.
"""

David
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Nice find and excellent pictures Patrick, and thanks David for establishing the history. It always makes me wonder why they went to all that trouble in making the moulds in so much detail for the canopy supports!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Purely by accident I noticed a picture in the book "Last steam locomotives of Spain and Portugal" showing Reyerta pulling some hopper wagons at the Nueva Montana steelworks.

Nueva Montana is the second station stop out of Santander on FEVE and first stop, I think on RENFE. It still makes steel and is rail connected but I think by broad gauge only these days.

David
Back to top Go down
Olot

Olot

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 7:52 pm

I have evidence about the locomotive REYERTA having a sister, the PEÑACASTILLO, which|who finds preserved in Santander.
This was constructed under number 6799 in year 1913
She also served to Nueva Montaña

http://www.locomotoravapor.com/fotosupload/cantabria/PENACASTILLO_20081218.jpg

http://www.locomotoravapor.com/cantabria.htm
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Purely by accident I noticed a picture in the book "Last steam locomotives of Spain and Portugal" showing Reyerta pulling some hopper wagons at the Nueva Montana steelworks.

Nueva Montana is the second station stop out of Santander on FEVE and first stop, I think on RENFE. It still makes steel and is rail connected but I think by broad gauge only these days.

David

Aha, that goes someway to explaining NMQ , REYERTA was known as NMQ #7 and PenaCastillo (also a Krauss) was NMQ #10 = Nueva Montana ??????? - any ideas ?

REYARTA is also the name of a poem written in 1928 about a fight in ALbacete - maybe it's like naming your engine "Greensleeves".

Edit : NMQ = Nueva Montana Quijano, now known as Global Steel Wire, and still there.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Olot wrote:
I have evidence about the locomotive REYERTA having a sister, the PEÑACASTILLO, which|who finds preserved in Santander.
This was constructed under number 6799 in year 1913
She also served to Nueva Montaña

http://www.locomotoravapor.com/fotosupload/cantabria/PENACASTILLO_20081218.jpg

http://www.locomotoravapor.com/cantabria.htm

Tracked em down - Santander railway club must drop by once my spanish has improved.
Back to top Go down
Olot

Olot

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 pm

pjti wrote:
...Aha, that goes someway to explaining NMQ , REYERTA was known as NMQ #7 and PenaCastillo (also a Krauss) was NMQ #10 = Nueva Montana ??????? - any ideas ?...

I can confirm this numeration in Nueva Montaña:

REYERTA Nº 9
PEÑACASTILLO Nº 10

Type construction (model) Krauss C7

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 10:33 am

mikeyh wrote:
Nice find and excellent pictures Patrick, and thanks David for establishing the history. It always makes me wonder why they went to all that trouble in making the moulds in so much detail for the canopy supports!

Mikey

Mikey, I just looked again at the canopy supports and they are not cast at all , it is wrought iron rivetted together. It is quite ornate and must have looked quite good at one time, but it just don't look up to the job of supporting that canopy. Funny thing is that when I saw it I thought of you and how you might go about making a replica for your Chemin de fer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Spanish Kraus 030   A Spanish Kraus 030 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Spanish Kraus 030
Page 1 of 1