Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

getting logged off

Go down 
+6
dtsteam
mikeyh
Mike B
Carl Hibbs
clive_t
pjti
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pjti

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 am

Carl - with Admin hat.

Today and on lots of other occasions I have to login again.
Normally I just get straight in with no logging required, it used to happen after a weekend, I assumed it was because you were "fiddling" with things - but I have always meant to ask whyy I get looged out sometimes. So I am asking - "why do I have to login again sometimes ?"

xxx
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 am

Patrick - not sure about 'lots of other occasions' but I do also experience the need to log back in again at each change of the month. I think the 'cookie' that remembers your login expires at the end of the month, even if you have checked the 'remember my login' checkbox.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 11:26 am

Happened to me too this month and very occassionally I get 'logged off' with no reason in that it doesn't retain my user id.
I don't worry too much as I often clear out the cache, delete the history file and remove all cookies regularly anyway as my PC in this house is sometimes used by others.

I will try and find out why the host server 'throws you out' periodically but if you can record unexplained incidents of this nature and let me know that will help.
Back to top Go down
Mike B

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 11:56 am

Count me in on that, I just had to relog back in. I put it down to a new month, but Ive never come across it on other forums, but its no biggy really..

Mike

Edit:

Mind you for some reason http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php is unobtainable. Not a late Y2K thing is it? clown
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
mikeyh

mikeyh

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 12:15 pm

guess i must have been doing it wrong guys! I log on and log out each time i want to post something or retrieve a PM. If you lot stay logged on why dont i see you online all the time?

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 pm

It happens to me on VML too.

When you check the box 'Remember me...' etc at login time, the website places a small file of information relating to your connection (sometimes called a 'cookie') on your pc. If you just close down your browser window without explicitly clicking on 'Log Out', you do actually disconnect from the forum, but the cookie remains on your pc. Then, when you subsequently go back to the forum via the same pc, it finds the relevant cookie (probably one amongst thousands!) and verifies its contents before logging you back in automatically. study

It's always a good idea to either explicitly log off or don't check the 'Remember me...' checkbox if you're on a shared PC with a shared 'Windows account' - unless you want the wife to pose as you and start asking searching questions! Shocked

Last edited by clive_t on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
pjti

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Don't think we are logged on all the time mikey, just that we don't enter the id and pw all the time. Your method is probably the most secure way to do i anywayt, I am just lazy and hate all this "user ID / pw" business, I am so sad that I check into this site about 1000 times a day(in the vain hope that there is a new French postcard -hmmmm , I do not think so- hahahah) so it saves time. Now and again it won't let me for no reason, I did find that if I use my little one - and then go back to my normal lappie, I then have to do the logging in. Figured it might be an IP address thing or as mentioned a cookie thing. It's not a problem but only happens here.

edit : I never log out in the proper fashion, just close the browser.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Could possibly be a need for more modelling and posting interesting pictures to the forum....... ....

lol!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Hear,hear, to that!

mikey
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:05 pm

study I'm not very good with cookies, but my one for this site expires in 2028 scratch
I would imagine that whilst it doesn't expire, it does require us to re-authenticate periodically, which does make sense.

Actually, I prefer Carls theory, so for no other reason than they are to hand, I attach a few piccies of my first garden train set nearly 30 years ago.
getting logged off Psrv0610
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm always getting "logged off" but never been bothered by it, so here's my contribution.....

getting logged off Img_8610

Some of Laurent's "mellow yellow" combination, next to the engine shed on a visit last summer!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 9:00 pm

dtsteam wrote:
study I'm not very good with cookies, but my one for this site expires in 2028 scratch
I would imagine that whilst it doesn't expire, it does require us to re-authenticate periodically, which does make sense.

Actually, I prefer Carls theory, so for no other reason than they are to hand, I attach a few piccies of my first garden train set nearly 30 years ago.
getting logged off Psrv0610

Cool- who's the guy in the polyester suit? Anybody we might know?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Great pics.. keep 'em coming!

I think that's a superb view of the terraced-semi and garden railway circa 'permed hair do'.
Did you/someone climb a lampost to get the shot or what?

I lived in a house like that too once. king
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 9:21 pm

I just had to log in as well...

getting logged off IMG_9255
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:14 am

I havent posted for while as i've just finished teaching an intensive advanced guitar course at the school of Music in Angouleme. anyway heres a couple of pics of my old N scale layout 'Lainten''

getting logged off Article005

getting logged off Nrm006

getting logged off 2nmr005

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 am

That last one really looks like it's in and part of the garden. You would never credit that it's N gauge.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:29 am

Thats exactly what it is! set it up outside to get best natural lighting/ shame my eyes wont take N gauge any more!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 pm

I had to log in as well it’s a calendar thing I think so here is my X railway

getting logged off DSCF1
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 pm

One of the guys in my shot was the new council rent collector in the area. He spotted the railway from the balcony where I took the picture, and scared the hell out of my mum by calling back and asking about the garden. It turned out that he was an LGB nut with a garden railway, who thought he was the only one in Blackpool. 4 railways and 30 years on, playing trains on a Saturday afternoon is still how I keep in touch with my friends.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 7:14 am

dtsteam wrote:
.... 4 railways and 30 years on, playing trains on a Saturday afternoon is still how I keep in touch with my friends.

And what a great way to keep in touch. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

getting logged off Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting logged off   getting logged off Empty

Back to top Go down

getting logged off
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: