Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
philkelly

philkelly

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams Empty
PostSubject: Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams   Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 1:06 pm

We had a day out in Bordeaux. We stopped at Jouetec Modelisme, which advertises widely in the French model press - M. Bison (?) was very friendly..not much large scale in stock (well, it's not often one makes a casual purchase of LGB, so understandable) but well-stocked with HO and N, and ancillary stuff - paints, plastic strip, etc. It's tucked away behind Lidl in a run-down suburban shopping mall - 33 rue Salvador Allende, Floirac (which our satnav insisted was Avenue Salvador Allende) but it's just off the N230 rocade (exit 24) and has free parking. "Vaut le viste" if not "merite le detour". A further advantage if you don't want to drive into central Bordeaux is that it is opposite the Floirac-Dravement terminus of tram line A (4.10 Euros for day pass).

And Bordeaux's trams remain impressive - not least the wires-free APS system. They positively enhance the historic centre.

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams IMG_0533

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams IMG_0528

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams IMG_0529

We did see one or two people using the public bike system, but I increasingly wonder if these schemes are not a bit of a gimmick..

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams IMG_0535

Not many of these being ridden!

APS doesn't just help with the buildings. This is Quinconces, a major interchange, and all those beautiful trees would have had to be felled for overhead wires...

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams IMG_0540
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams   Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Glad you made it Phil, did Dorothy enjoy her first visit to Bordeaux and the model shop?

The trams are impressive aren't they ( a bit bigger than a Billard) it's a shame they don't connect the to the airport though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams   Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:35 pm

No but the airport bus terminates at Quiconces.. Dorothy went shopping in Lidl. I have just noticed that I put 33 rue Salvador Allende for Jouetec; it's 21. Bordeaux is truly a beautiful city - the whole historic centre is a World Heritage site. We will go again.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams   Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 am

Didn't know whether to post this here or on my La Vie du Rail thread, but it's primarily of local interest to us South Western Francophiles ...

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams La_vie29

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams La_vie30

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams La_vie31

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams La_vie34

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams La_vie33

BTW - Phil I hope you didn't linger in the Rue des Anglais? It was the historic red light area Embarassed
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams   Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:44 pm

One of the attractions which we missed, I'm afraid. May be next time.

But the article does seem to help identify this rough "model" of a French engine which I found in a tabac:

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams IMG_9159

It looks a bit like the loco on page 2 above, don't you think?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams   Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Certainly does Phil!

I've also PM'd you for an email address and arrangements for the Paris Expo in November!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams   Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams Empty

Back to top Go down

Day trip to Bordeaux, model shop and trams
Page 1 of 1