Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stainz Trams

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrew

Stainz Trams Empty
PostSubject: Stainz Trams   Stainz Trams EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 pm

http://yoshiokasyd.web.fc2.com/others/AustriaGermany/Chiemseebahn.htm
I am not sure if this is in the right area, so please place it where it needs to go if reqiured.
It is a post of a Stainz Tram from a member of the LGB and Garden Railway Club of Australia.
Notice the side firing position. Also would anyone have any decent photos of the firing area (Backhead) of the Stainz?

Andrew at the Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway - Down Under
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

Stainz Trams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stainz Trams   Stainz Trams EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:08 am

I've always wondered about these trams so its nice to see some close-ups. This style of tram was originally designed for use in towns and had the wheels and rods covered up so it wouldnt frighten the horses, yet looking at these pics there are no provision for skirts. Why is that?

mike
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

Stainz Trams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stainz Trams   Stainz Trams EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 10:23 am

mikeyh wrote:
I've always wondered about these trams so its nice to see some close-ups. This style of tram was originally designed for use in towns and had the wheels and rods covered up so it wouldnt frighten the horses, yet looking at these pics there are no provision for skirts. Why is that?

mike

Perhaps they didn’t have any hoses around there. Or they were made of sterner stuff than the wimpy European horses……
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Stainz Trams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stainz Trams   Stainz Trams EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 12:22 pm

As I understand it, British law required the skirts over the rods and wheels; there was no similar law in Germany or Austria. The covers also seem to be installed on all Belgian tram locos (at least for all the surviving ones), so it may also have been required on the Belgian viscinal lines. British law also apparently prohibited tramway locos from blowing steam out and so most had some sort of condensing apparatus.
Back to top Go down
Knotty Ash

Stainz Trams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stainz Trams   Stainz Trams EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 10:36 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
As I understand it, British law required the skirts over the rods and wheels; there was no similar law in Germany or Austria. The covers also seem to be installed on all Belgian tram locos (at least for all the surviving ones), so it may also have been required on the Belgian viscinal lines. British law also apparently prohibited tramway locos from blowing steam out and so most had some sort of condensing apparatus.

You will know Paul Stainz Holt is your man, he has many of these locos on his re-built layout in North Wales. I know he has been very busy for a while but I'm sure he will know for you Les
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stainz Trams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stainz Trams   Stainz Trams Empty

Back to top Go down

Stainz Trams
Page 1 of 1