Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Getting fed up of being a wanabee

Go down 
+9
French Chuffed
philkelly
KleineDicke
Paulus
GWhizz
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
pjti
fm12
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
fm12

fm12

Getting fed up of being a wanabee Empty
PostSubject: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I`ve started
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Good on yer
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 pm

errr......................Started what ??
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Proof please....... Cool
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:24 pm

pjti wrote:
errr......................Started what ??

Building a garden railway Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Proof please....... Cool

I`ll have to get the hang of this photo thingy,I`ll have ago next week.

Going to build a retaining wall around the spoil from when we gravelled the entrance to the garden.The initial loop of track will sit on top of wall,giving a running loop of about 35 metres.A further loop will branch off the main loop and be elevated and run through the trees at the top of the picture,giving a further 60 metres.When the spoil has been landscaped a figure of 8 will branch off and run inside the initial loop.
Getting fed up of being a wanabee Van_110

Picture just showing that hopefully a silk purse can come from a sow`s ear
Getting fed up of being a wanabee Van_210

Using track as a template for the footings of the wall,hopefully avoiding me having to bend rail.
Getting fed up of being a wanabee Van_310

Last edited by fm12 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Pics forwarded from Van to Brian for insertion)
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 7:41 pm

OK....delay accepted.....waiting with anticipation..... geek
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 6:51 am

Wotzeewannabee?
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:52 am

Pics - we want pics - we loikes pics
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:17 am

mikeyh wrote:
Wotzeewannabee?

A garden railfarer,but ain`t cause I`ve not got one. Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 am

dont get upset Van. You've probably got the biggest railway of any of us at the bottom of your garden!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 11:40 am

PICTURE HOSTING

Van I've now inserted your pics in an earlier post if you scroll up!

Here is how to post pictures ....

1. Click on the icon 6th from the left (the pic frame with a smaller blue square thingy superimposed) or looked at another way the icon second left from the chain link icon.

2. A small dialog box should now pop up

3. Click on the BROWSE button and a second dialog should pop up.

4. This dialog lets you select the picture file on your computer, you should be able to navigate in the normal way to wherever you've stored your pictures, Once you've highlighted your picture file click on OPEN

5. This second dialog box will disappear and you'll see a new button HOST IT in the first dialog box

6. Click on HOST IT and your computer will start sending your image to www.servimg.com this may take a while depending on the size of your pic ( I try and keep my pics less than 200kb to keep things speedy)

7. When the transfer is complete the dialog box changes again and you will now see three rows each of them with the button COPY at the end - Click on the lowest (ie third) COPY button

8. Yet another dialog box appears asking if you will allow Access to your Clipboard - click on ALLOW this little box disappears

7. Leaving the original dialog box now click on the picture icon on the forum page ( ie 7th from left (button left of chain links)) -Original box disappears and another little dialog box opens with a single white box. Press CONTROL and V this will copy the URL of your picture into the box. Hit RETURN and the line of text with "[IMG] around it will now appear in your post - you will not see your picture at this stage, only when you finally send a post.

8. If you want to add a further pic repeat the process. However the first dialog box now has the three "copy" lines and not the "browse" window so click on the highlighted blue UPLOAD at the bottom of the box and the familiar BROWSE dialog will appear.

9. Once all your pictures are in you can preview or send your post as normal.

10. I normally like to drop my pictures into the post first leaving a few space lines in between and then go back and annotate them after

Hope this helps - if you get stuck next time give me a call and I'll walk you through the process -it's far from straightforward and it's particularly confusing when you add a second or more images

Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting the above pics Brian.If you don`t mind I`ll let you post my pics for the time being.I can`t even find the blue icon 6th from the left. scratch
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Nice! A good start is half the work...

I envy you on the space you have! Mad Wink
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 am

Paulus wrote:
Nice! A good start is half the work...

I envy you on the space you have! Mad Wink

Hi Paulus
The space is nice but it takes some upkeep.
Hopefully weather permitting the retaining wall should be completed in a few days.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 5:53 am

Excellent. Very Happy

Seeing a new empire taking shape is very exciting.

Do you have a plan?

Does it have a name?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:22 am

fm12 wrote:
Thanks for posting the above pics Brian.If you don`t mind I`ll let you post my pics for the time being.I can`t even find the blue icon 6th from the left. scratch

And they let you drive an Artic Shocked
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 10:41 am

fm12 wrote:
I can`t even find the blue icon 6th from the left. scratch

It's this one .....

Getting fed up of being a wanabee Button10
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Excellent. Very Happy

Seeing a new empire taking shape is very exciting.

Do you have a plan?

Does it have a name?

The house is named La Climardiere after some type of engineering firm that was based here,so its going to be Chemin de fer La Climardiere.The plan is in my head scratch and I`m nearly certain that it will change but the initial loop is set,just I`m not yet quite sure where the branch offs will be for a further loop into the trees and where the internal figure of 8 will run
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:02 pm

CFC eh....

There are several famous lines with those initials.

What sort of area do you have? How much space is that in the picture? I was trying to get an idea of dimensions.

Are you going fully Mammoth digital like Brian or Luddite like me?
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
CFC eh....

There are several famous lines with those initials.

What sort of area do you have? How much space is that in the picture? I was trying to get an idea of dimensions.

Are you going fully Mammoth digital like Brian or Luddite like me?

Luddite like you Carl.
The initial loop which will be on top of the wall will be approx 35 metres long.I should have the wall finished by middle of next week and will get Brian to post another pic
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 10:09 pm

At last I`ve finished the wall for the initial loop of track.Started track laying today but have already suffered a slight setback.After every length of rail laid,I`ve been using my stainz as a test loco,just a run out and back.At the first set of points laid (aristo 5ft radius)she was derailing,on close inspection the plastic frog was a good 16th inch higher than the rail.I`ve lifted the point and this evening modified the frog,hopefully tomorrow when laid, I should have sorted the problem.All the track I have as been bought s/h,I`ve checked all the points and my 5 sets of piko are ok as with 2 sets of LGB,but my 5 sets of aristo 4 have a high centre frog which I will have to modify.These would probably have been ok with usa trains and Aristo locos,but the plunger pickup on the stainz was catching the frog hard causing derailment.

Getting fed up of being a wanabee 00210

Last edited by fm12 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Delightfully Caro and I were invited to the official opening of Van's "wannabee" railway today.

Two major events took place...

1, Van (after some instruction) single handedly inserted the picture in the above post.

2. The inaugral running of Live Steam on his newly constructed loop!

When we arrived we found Van lurking outside the pigeon house cum railway offices...
Getting fed up of being a wanabee Shed10

I was then taken on a tour of the property including the real SNCF line at the back of the garden, which appears to be exactly 418.2 Km from the end of the line - Toulouse we guessed after realising it was looking south and not North towards Paris...
Getting fed up of being a wanabee Sign10

Thereupon I persuaded him to remove his shiny new Accucraft Leader out of the box for a steam up....
Getting fed up of being a wanabee New_st10

Regretably despite much fiddling, the brand new out of the box loco had a sticking gas valve...
Getting fed up of being a wanabee New_210

So we had to resort to his tried and tested Accucraft Lawley, which performed superbly a really smooth runner on his perfectly level track. Dusk was drawing in by now as the photo shows ....
Getting fed up of being a wanabee Accucr10

The ladies were persuaded out of the house to briefly witness the event, but I confess that I sneaked back in with them after, as night was drawing in and the lure of the log fire and red wine was too much...
Getting fed up of being a wanabee Acc_210

Van eventually came in after another half hour of playing trains in the cold and dark.

We then enjoyed a superb dinner prepared by Susan, with other guests Karel & Vicky

Over dinner there was much discussion about a name for the railway and wether it was 'de la' or 'du' Dorat. Even a song of "doo,doo run, run" or something. The concensus at the end of the meal was the CFD - "Chemin de Fer du Dorat" but it's up to a more sober Van to confirm later.

Anyway we spent a very happy time, and again thanks to Van and Sue for their hospitality.

Last edited by GWhizz on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 8:22 am

Looks very neat and impressive.

I think that is a good way to go with garden railways, build a simple loop, get trains running and go on from there.

Great to see another railway open for business. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:30 pm

A great start, Van.

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I think that is a good way to go with garden railways, build a simple loop, get trains running and go on from there. Very Happy

I agree. My garden railway consists of
1. A loop of track on my patio
2. A picture in my head of a future track plan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting fed up of being a wanabee   Getting fed up of being a wanabee Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting fed up of being a wanabee
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: