Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Citroen H in the USA

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Citroen H in the USA Empty
PostSubject: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 9:12 pm

This has been listed on and off for the past few months on US eBay, but the reserve has never been exceeded. The latest listing included a photo showing at least 8 H's. I would never have thought there were so many in one spot the US.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360314084669#v4-43
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm

I wonder what the reserve price is.

I've just noticed that there is a split screen version in that pic. I assumed they all had a single windscreen but obviously that's not so.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 1:46 am

That is because they are not here, they will bring you one over from France. Not sure how that seller functions on eBay, because they really are not selling anything they are listing, more of an "advertisement of services".

I suspect I know who they are from my past life in the Citroen club....if so....well, nevermind, this is in the public section of the forum...

But, truth be told, there are several Hs in the US. A friend had an early one rotting in his yard, there is a REALLY nice one here in Nashville owned by another friend and a decent pair that have been for sale in Ohio a few times.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 7:38 am

Interesting Garrett.

I wonder where he is getting them from in France, a central place or individuals?

I would dearly love one here but to be honest I haven't got the time nor expertise to rebuild one.

A big plus though is our neighbour runs a Citroen garage. Maybe I should talk to him this Christmas...!

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Nice camionettes!

The early H (or HY) had split windows.
The one-part window (pare-brise en une partie) was a modernization from february 1964
(source: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_Type_H )

When I was young I found those cars ugly, today I just love them!
Must be some sort of nostalgia... I'm getting old...
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Carl et al-

Probably locating them in the south and then shipping them here. Which is odd, as many Citroens for sale in the US gain European interest, especially DS/SM.

Luckally, common sense wins over nostalgia, so my interestin in them is about zero. Hs are not really the best vechicles in the world. I would not want to have any type of accident in one, or a 2CV for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Quote :
or a 2CV for that matter

You mean one of those? Twisted Evil

Citroen H in the USA Eendenrit16051030-vi

It's me and my youngest in a 2CV of a good friend (one of the 5 actually - yep he is in his midlife...).
We had a group ride (concours elegance) with it last may. 20 of those ugly ducks making the Dutch roads unsafe on a sunny sunday...
I have to tell you, those are really not easy to shift (specially shiftback in the first gear; only possible after stop; no synchronization!). Also I had to bend over all time to be able to see to the front shield (top of it exactly at my eye level...).

Accidents... well, they have perhaps more 'crumple zone' than a modern Smart and that one can easely go 140 km/h. (almost twice the topspeed of a 2CV!!!)
And definitely safer than a motorcycle (you know, I mentioned his midlife crisis) Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 12:06 am

Ah, shifting a 2CV. It has been years since I drove one, but the "push, pull, twist pull" drill is almost a second nature. Learned to drive in an Ami 6. I have a lot of fond memories of rides in Citroen A cars.

My favorite still is the Citromatique of the DS...the most "natural" feeling of any gearbox, and the best of all worlds (automatic sans a power zapping torque converter).

One of our club members' mother totaled her 2CV in Holland. She hit a bicyclist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu8XwWFTz6o

Honestly, I would love a 2CV, if I lived in a small remote town or island where the top speed was 50kph-ish and no larger vehicles were around.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 5:29 pm

I had a rather harrowing ride through the streets of Gent in a 2CV Charleston back in 1987 or 88. It belonged to the manager of the hotel where I was staying and after I commented that I had never experienced the pleasure of a 2CV, she offered me a ride. She was quite attractive, and I secretly wondered if she was truly Belgian, but after experiencing her skill behind the wheel, there was no further doubt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Citroen H in the USA   Citroen H in the USA Empty

Back to top Go down

Citroen H in the USA
Page 1 of 1